TV Home Forum

Royal Coverage | Harry, Meghan and Oprah

Harpo Productions Interview (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
UT
UTVLifer
Does anyone know if they aired it with ADs in the US or not?
HC
Hatton Cross
What are we guessing for tonight’s rating? It’s in quite a long timeslot.

12.4m overnights. Nudging upto around 15m on final consolidated figures
UK
UKnews

I find it highly unlikely there was a "bidding process" as you say. CBS has a relationship with Oprah via CBS THis Morning and she worked briefly on venerable CBS news magazine, 60 Minutes during the election. (She was on the programme the morning following the interview presenting more clips and was debrief by the presenters, one being of course Gayle King her best friend) Harpo is a very big production company so its unlikely that she needed CBS to sell it. Though I would imagine that because it aired on CBS first any where in the world, they likely stipulated certain branding and presentation credits. Oprah has many outlets should could have chosen to air this. Her OWN network or also she has a new relationship with AppleTv+. Any arrangements would never be disclosed. So its unlikely we will ever hear any conditions for how this was done.

To give another example, Oprah has done some stuff with ABC on Good Morning America. She'll go wherever she wants and wherever will pay her what she wants!

It will have gone to the network who were prepared to pay the most. At best, CBS having worked with Oprah recently would have had the first chance to make a deal, but if the price wasn't right they wouldn't have got it. Whoever did get the interview would have made sure their morning news programme got something from it by writing in to the contract a follow up interview with Oprah and some exclusive clips.

CBS will have licensed it for a period of time from Harpo, its Harpo which will own the archive / library rights and sold it around the world.
IS
Inspector Sands

Yes they did. Why wouldn't they?
UK
UKnews

Yes - how would it have been funded otherwise?!

And it was somewhat expensive to buy a slot

There was a thread on Twitter where someone had collected the reaction on people in the UK to the typical US TV ads for medications that aired during it.
Last edited by UKnews on 8 March 2021 4:43pm
GO
gottago
It's going to be a hell of a big rating tonight isn't it. Doubt any serious number of people have actively looked for the full doc online.
BF
BFGArmy

I know rota talk is best avoided on here (especially when it comes to Loose Women) but you do have to question why they didn't have one of Judi Love, Brenda Edwards or Kelle Bryan as a panellist alongside Charlene as presenter. Charlene did a great job anchoring from what I heard but it didn't exactly take a genius to work out the subject of race may come up in the interview so having 3 white, middle aged female panellists talk about racism was never likely to lead to the best discussion and the optics of it aren't great it must be said.
MO
Mouseboy33
Trisha kinda sums up Piers Morgan and in some way the Loose Women discussion IMO. She was clear and succinct in 20 seconds. The "Ey?" at the end of the sentence......wow! Cool

MA
Meridian AM

I know rota talk is best avoided on here (especially when it comes to Loose Women) but you do have to question why they didn't have one of Judi Love, Brenda Edwards or Kelle Bryan as a panellist alongside Charlene as presenter. Charlene did a great job anchoring from what I heard but it didn't exactly take a genius to work out the subject of race may come up in the interview so having 3 white, middle aged female panellists talk about racism was never likely to lead to the best discussion and the optics of it aren't great it must be said.

I agree, Charlene did well, but it was good to hear Jane's opinions. She wasn't as fierce as Piers and still got her points across.

They decided to carry on the Meghan debate into part 2 of the programme, as there was a lot still to say that they didn't fit into part 1. The interview with the Emmerdale actor was moved to part 3, after being advertised as part 2 (12.45) at the start of the programme.

Stacey Solomon only normally does Fridays. She was probably filling in for someone at the last minute, as she has done before. Stacey from home seems to be the go-to "last minute stand-in".
Judi normally does Mondays with Jane and Charlene.
By the way, Stacey isn't "middle aged" - she is 31!!
JO
Jonwo
Jane is from the same tabloid background as Piers so she has a more cynical opinion of the royals.
FL
Flux

I agree, Charlene did well, but it was good to hear Jane's opinions. She wasn't as fierce as Piers and still got her points across.

They decided to carry on the Meghan debate into part 2 of the programme, as there was a lot still to say that they didn't fit into part 1. The interview with the Emmerdale actor was moved to part 3, after being advertised as part 2 (12.45) at the start of the programme.

Stacey Solomon only normally does Fridays. She was probably filling in for someone at the last minute, as she has done before. Stacey from home seems to be the go-to "last minute stand-in".
Judi normally does Mondays with Jane and Charlene.
By the way, Stacey isn't "middle aged" - she is 31!!

I bet they were glad to at least have Charlene anchoring! Imagine if this had happened in the Andrea days - it could have made quite uncomfortable viewing watching 4 white women debate what is and isn’t racist. I agree it would have been much more rounded with at least two women of colour today, though.

Another example of why diversity is so important on screen, especially in any show that’s built around debates or reaction to current affairs.
BFGArmy, London Lite and Lynetwork gave kudos
CF
CallumF

Newer posts