The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
CraigWills
I have to say I like this recent focus on numbers and their increasing use of Ed Conway as explainer-in-chief. It’s this level of detail that will differentiate them from GB News and I think they’ll do it more and more.

Yes, he’s very good - while in this instance it was of course the budget he was reporting on I’m not sure I see much more of reporting as his role of ‘Economics Editor’ - this data sort of data journalism/analysis is what he seems to excel at and is needed these days. (His colleague, Mark Kleinman, seems to do more business coverage - and is excellent at doing so).

In terms of delivery Ed is a much improved version of the BBC’s Head of Statistics, Robert Cuffe.

Ed is now credited as Economics and Data Editor which I think is to encompass the fact he’s doing more of the data analysis away from economics.

Also we’re reportedly going to see a few tweaks to the branding/logo on Sky News on the 29th March - potentially the last rebrand/brand refresh on TV Forum before it closes. As I say it’s just minor changes were told. But I’m hoping with this change, we’ll see a bit of consistency with the branding. On thing that niggles me is that we have a mix of some shows with title cards and others not. Surely the Evenings (News at Ten & News at 9/News at 11), weekday breakfast and weekday afternoon (as Sarah-Jane is away) could have title cards just so the day is standardised.
CW
CraigWills
Greg Milam hosted for half an hour at 3am live from LA with reaction to the Meghan and Harry interview. Greg was doing live inserts into the 1am/2am hours with Sam Naz. Sam took back over at 3:30am.
Rhiannon Mills also in the newsroom for the 3am hour.

Niall Patterson is doing the breakfast slot from Buckingham Palace this morning - Rhiannon Mills is live outside the palace with Niall too.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I saw the 3am led by Greg Milam. Reminding us that he’s a rather capable anchor. I liked him when he was studio based in the UK as well. One of the most consistent at Sky News.

Think he’ll ever come back to anchoring from HQ?
VA
valley
Sarah Hewson outside Buckingham Palace from 2pm focusing on the interview.

Out of interest the PM press conference later is I believe at 4pm, rather than 5pm.
BF
BFGArmy
I saw the 3am led by Greg Milam. Reminding us that he’s a rather capable anchor. I liked him when he was studio based in the UK as well. One of the most consistent at Sky News.

Think he’ll ever come back to anchoring from HQ?

Ah, the days of Greg Milam, (then) Steve Dixon and Lorna Dunkley on Sunrise.
watchingtv, TVViewer256 and skyviewer gave kudos
VA
valley
I gather Beth Rigby will be back on air reporting on the PM press conference.

Edit: Confirmed.
Last edited by valley on 8 March 2021 3:52pm
MA
Meridian AM
I gather Beth Rigby will be back on air reporting on the PM press conference.

Will she be asking Boris a question about the restrictions? Confused Shocked
SL
Shaun Linden
She's back dressed as the breaking news graphics.

Good to see her back on air.
fusionlad and CraigWills gave kudos
CW
CraigWills
Sky News Tonight replaced with Dermot presenting Harry and Meghan: The Royal Rift from Buckingham Palace.
Whilst, Gillian Joseph doing another Covid & The Classroom special at 8:30pm.

Link to Buckingham Palace appears to have went down briefly just after 7:10, Nick Quraishi in the glass box introduced an item, but then link was restored quickly enough.

Also great see Beth Rigby back.
ME
mediamonkeyuk
Sky News Tonight replaced with Dermot presenting Harry and Meghan: The Royal Rift from Buckingham Palace.

Link to Buckingham Palace appears to have went down briefly just after 7:10, Nick Quraishi in the glass box introduced an item, but then link was restored quickly enough.

Seconded, I’ve really missed Beth. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of what did or didn’t happen. She is an asset in that role and I’m glad she’s returned, if only because I now know that’s it’s only 3 months til Kay is back.

Also, Gillian in Westminster for the Covid & the Classroom special at 8:30. They’ve got the light boxes in a lovely blue to match the gorgeous deep blue graphics on the screen and Gillian stood at a brand new posh podium complete with the new Sky News logo. Surely this is the first time we’ve seen it in the wild so prominently?
VA
valley

Seconded, I’ve really missed Beth. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of what did or didn’t happen. She is an asset in that role and I’m glad she’s returned, if only because I now know that’s it’s only 3 months til Kay is back.

Also, Gillian in Westminster for the Covid & the Classroom special at 8:30. They’ve got the light boxes in a lovely blue to match the gorgeous deep blue graphics on the screen and Gillian stood at a brand new posh podium complete with the new Sky News logo. Surely this is the first time we’ve seen it in the wild so prominently?

That's not the new Sky News logo; it's the old one but on a white background so the white box has vanished. Cropped screenshot of the lectern (which was also used for a previous special):
ME
mediamonkeyuk
Quote:

That's not the new Sky News logo; it's the old one but on a white background so the white box has vanished. Cropped screenshot of the lectern (which was also used for a previous special):

Oh right, thanks for the clarification. That’s a shame. Thought we were about to witness it’s debut appearance. Not long to go though

Newer posts