TV Home Forum

TVF Confessions

An amnesty on your deepest, darkest presentation opinions (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
rob posted:
I really liked the Carlton idents from 1996 (and subsequently Central from 1998)...

I agree with that as well. I feel the Central cake, and what they were doing with it by then, had run its course
AndrewPSSP, Mateus Honrado and Meridian AM gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
There’s not really I can much to add to this thread other than what’s been said. But here’s my thoughts:

Daybreak v1.0 was actually a good programme. It had issues around the edges that could have been fixed gently. But it had everything going against it, including the tabloids from day one. That, and purple didn’t work.

In hindsight, the BBC One balloons weren’t that great. Whilst they still look classy and beautiful, they have not aged well as idents.

The entire Sky branding from 1998, when every channel (Soap and Travel aside) had its own identity was brilliantly executed. As a whole, it’s very underrated against other channels branding, or that which came before on Sky. Sky Premier notably still holds up extremely well to date.

LWT’s ident package from 1996 was the best the station ever had, before or after, even with the modified logo.
what and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
LO
lobster

BBC News 24 1999-2003 is the greatest news set of all time:

Sorry to disagree but, as with everything from that era (the countdown, the opening titles and music, the purple captions, etc), this was the very worst BBC News era. Even worse than the Viking helmet era which followed.

I think this look was as good as BBC News ever got. Downhill from there.
LH
lhx1985

The entire Sky branding from 1998, when every channel (Soap and Travel aside) had its own identity was brilliantly executed. As a whole, it’s very underrated against other channels branding, or that which came before on Sky. Sky Premier notably still holds up extremely well to date.

Agreed. I know it's not a popular opinion on here, but I think that Sky Ones branding from that era was bang on target for the time.

Sky Premier had some of the best idents on TV anywhere in at that time. Beautifully constructed - clearly they blew the budget there, because MovieMax's idents were poor.
Last edited by lhx1985 on 7 March 2021 9:59pm
AndrewPSSP and nwtv2003 gave kudos
:-(
A former member

Totally agree on this. I remember seeing the new Sky Premier logo in the Sky magazine the month before launch and not thinking much of it - boy how wrong I was. Still an amazing package. The ambition that was behind it is mind-blowing, and has never been matched anywhere in tv presentation since.

Never really appreciated the MovieMax branding at the same time but it’s held up well too.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
LWT’s ident package from 1996 was the best the station ever had, before or after, even with the modified logo.
That's certainly not an unpopular opinion with me. In fact, it's probably in my top 3 all-time favourite idents. Always worth another watch:

There was a pre-break coming up sting that was beautiful too, it's on TV Ark marked as a 1998 ident but I'm sure it was only used for 'Coming up' continuity.
RD
Roger Darthwell

BBC News 24 1999-2003 is the greatest news set of all time:

Sorry to disagree but, as with everything from that era (the countdown, the opening titles and music, the purple captions, etc), this was the very worst BBC News era. Even worse than the Viking helmet era which followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSdAKGxOH8E

I think this look was as good as BBC News ever got. Downhill from there.

I think this look was and still is the best that BBC News ever had,this intro evokes pride, authority, seriousness and intergrity. Also the pips have been flogged to death
JO
johnnyboy Founding member

Totally agree on this. I remember seeing the new Sky Premier logo in the Sky magazine the month before launch and not thinking much of it - boy how wrong I was. Still an amazing package. The ambition that was behind it is mind-blowing, and has never been matched anywhere in tv presentation since.

Never really appreciated the MovieMax branding at the same time but it’s held up well too.

The Sky Premier 1998 branding still stands today as a masterclass of visual identification.

I think the 95-96 Sky brands with the flag backgrounds were amazing. The ones which followed it, music and looks wise, were inferior.
FA
fanoftv
Another unpopular opinion rolling into the station:
ITV's January 2013 rebrand was the best the channel has ever looked and every change thereafter (including ECPs, coming up menus, etc...) has been for the worse. I don't like ITV Creates one bit and much preferred the original 2013 idents package. The smooth beauty of the colour picking effect and the huge range of idents in circulation meant they never got boring, and were always appropriate to the time of day/upcoming programme/time of year, etc.

I 100% echo your sentiment David. Everything about that 2013 rebrand worked so well for me. The way that each channel trailer opened and closed and could be amended so that when promoting other channel programmes it ended back on their logo to flow into the next trailer is some of the most beautiful presentation I’ve seen.

Also, I preferred the red set of ITV2 idents and subsequent branding to the current.
richard110888, GMc and what gave kudos
EL
elmarko
Jonwo posted:

It's a bit like when you used to have Andrew Marr, Peston/Murnaghan and Sunday Politics on back to back on a Sunday morning, and I'd see people on Twitter watching them all, despite getting endlessly wound up by them. It's Sunday! You don't have to watch them! Life's too short!

It's the same with people who watch Question Time every single week, if a programme is winding you up, either take a break or stop watching it!

Luckily some of us think about the impact of things in the world at a level beyond just ourselves.
FA
fanoftv
Daybreak v1.0 was actually a good programme. It had issues around the edges that could have been fixed gently. But it had everything going against it, including the tabloids from day one. That, and purple didn’t work.

I agree on this too. It was a much needed shake up to GMTV, I loved Adrian & Christine’s presentation coupled with Dan on Sport, Lucy on weather, Steve & Kate on entertainment and Tasmin on news, it created a lovely family feel that was nice and cosy with beautiful music and branding.

I actually thought that the purple worked really well, and hated the change to the large red sofa and yellow version of the logo (it all felt like a big step backwards to me). I loved the design of the set with those wonderful brightly lit stairs and the stage area, however I wish it came from an area somewhere on the ground floor that could have utilised a lit background and people commuting, etc. rather than the darkness.
NE
Noelfirl
Al Jazeera English's restrained-modern-drumbeat news theme has always been, and continues to be, superior to the BBC's.
Meridian AM, lhx1985 and Anglialad gave kudos

Newer posts