TV Home Forum

TVF Confessions

An amnesty on your deepest, darkest presentation opinions (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Things I hate (non exhustive)

Cut away shots during a piece to camera, from a different camera, but the presenter carries on looking at the original camera.

The unseen off camera person Ben Fogle talks to on his documentaries. (It's the technique, not the person I hate, just to be clear!)

Archive footage (even stuff only a few days old) being degraded to make it look b/w and/or low colour and/or noise added and/or like the Baird 30 line system

Shallow Depth of Field lenses used for news and factual material, (and sometimes with the above effects added)

Journalists interviewing each other, almost relegating the viewer to some sort of eavesdropper.

Streaming services that start up the next episode before you've even had a chance to find the remote and cancel the action (Here's looking at you Amazon)
AG
AxG
Camera operators constantly moving back and forward, side-to-side despite what they're shooting is stood still! à la: (2:18 in)
Markymark and London Lite gave kudos
CO
commseng
One of my pet hates which Markymark mentioned - "Archive footage (even stuff only a few days old) being degraded to make it look b/w and/or low colour and/or noise added and/or like the Baird 30 line system"
I hate that, sometimes with the chroma cranked up and the black levels down could make what had been technically perfect pictures look awful.
It changes as the VT edit fashions come and go.
EL
elmarko
I think nostalgic whining about regional idents and not being realistic about how society and capitalism and branding/psychology works is one of the most irritatingly boring things to read.

That being said, the Granada jingle with the stripe is imprinted into my brain, and I’m really going to miss everyone. Unless I end up on the new forum with everyone which I probably will Razz
msim, Joe and London Lite gave kudos
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
The Channel 3 North East package was a huge step forward from what was in place on the station both immediately before and immediately afterwards.

Yes. Yes. Yes.
ST
steveboswell

This opening sequence to Five News is criminally underrated.
DJ
DJGM
I think when the BBC's Royal Charter comes up for renewal in 2027, there's likely to be radical changes to how the BBC is funded, and the way the whole Corporation is run. The days of the TV Licence are numbered, and the entire organisation needs a major shake-up.

With that said, I don't agree with the "Defund The BBC" lot, but I do believe the TVL is an anachronism that needs to be replaced.
WW
WW Update
Things I hate (non exhustive)

Cut away shots during a piece to camera, from a different camera, but the presenter carries on looking at the original camera.

You should count your lucky stars that you don't live in France (or any country influenced by French TV)!
DB
dbl
DJGM posted:
I think when the BBC's Royal Charter comes up for renewal in 2027, there's likely to be radical changes to how the BBC is funded, and the way the whole Corporation is run. The days of the TV Licence are numbered, and the entire organisation needs a major shake-up.

With that said, I don't agree with the "Defund The BBC" lot, but I do believe the TVL is an anachronism that needs to be replaced.

I agree, maybe being funding via utilities might be the way forward, like in Italy.
MI
Michael
My unpopular opinion is that ownership of a television should necessitate ownership of a TV license, regardless of what you use it for, and that anyone who accesses or uses any BBC service without paying a licence fee is a freeloader / thief.
:-(
A former member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xya6zsX3Hps

Really? I seem to remember it being massively overrated at the time. I hated it. I hate anything that tries to look upmarket but without the budget.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xya6zsX3Hps

I liked the sequence but the music was absolutely horrible. For me, it was, without doubt, the worst theme music ITN has used in its history.

Newer posts