…and finally

News about TV Forum (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SO
Soupnzi
No further questions, your Honour
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Those type of places have all but dried up as it became socially unacceptable. The audience that like that kind of stuff have moved on to YouTube and Reddit.

The old Buns site did have interviews however which distinguished itself from similar types of sites which were all about the dodgy screenshots.

I think we all know what Buns was being used for by its energetic readers. You ran it didn't you?!

I ran it, but the images were submissions from other people. It was a very long time ago now and have moved on considerably from those days and have learned a lot of lessons from hosing such a site which would be considered sexist and misogynistic now. These days my online activities are based around my tv pres news channel on YouTube for which I update infrequently.

I was always interested in tv pres and thought it'd be a great way to contact industry people which at the start in 2000 was part of the innocence of the net in those days where it was so easy to generate publicity. After the controversy of running such a site (I was even interviewed in the Independent, where I was taken completely out of context), I started to understand why it was becoming uncomfortable to run and eventually closed it.

I'm a completely different person to that one who ran the Buns in the noughties, I admit I was wrong back then to do it and apologise to anyone in the industry who was offended, concerned or thought it was disgusting to provide that website. In retrospect, I agree with you all.

Ditto. We all change.

Whilst I think there is no offensiveness still in rating the attractiveness of other people and that the act of putting up a website detailing the people you find attractive is not in and off itself sexist or misogynistic, what I dislike (which I never got from your site as I do remember it) is when people are horrible or condescending to others online because of the way they look.

I wouldn't be embarrassed if I was you about your former ownership of the site. Just think of it as a reflection of a younger man.
MA
Matrix
Well, it'd be remiss of me not to say thank you to Asa - as well as so many of you - who have made this a genuinely fascinating place. Thank you.
Asa and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
WM
WMD
Yep. My feeling on learning this news:

Tommyrot.

I have been a long-time lurker and only occasional contributor (because pretty much everyone else here is far more interesting, knowledgeable or skilful), but barely a day has gone by without checking out these forums for ephemera that the Real World would find tedious or inexplicably bizarre. (But more fool them for missing out on the esoteric delights of pompous regional ITV start up sequences of the 70s and 80s, or the omnishambles of ad hoc BBC English Regions continuity when faced with the prospect of time-shifting network to accommodate a local programme on the merits of carrot farming!)

‘Thank you’ doesn’t go nearly far enough, Asa, but it is meant sincerely and warmly. You have looked after us well, managed more squabbles than the average parent of toddlers and somehow created a community around idents and ECPs! No mean feat. Well done!
Asa, London Lite and deejay gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
I think we all know what Buns was being used for by its energetic readers. You ran it didn't you?!

I ran it, but the images were submissions from other people. It was a very long time ago now and have moved on considerably from those days and have learned a lot of lessons from hosing such a site which would be considered sexist and misogynistic now. These days my online activities are based around my tv pres news channel on YouTube for which I update infrequently.

I was always interested in tv pres and thought it'd be a great way to contact industry people which at the start in 2000 was part of the innocence of the net in those days where it was so easy to generate publicity. After the controversy of running such a site (I was even interviewed in the Independent, where I was taken completely out of context), I started to understand why it was becoming uncomfortable to run and eventually closed it.

I'm a completely different person to that one who ran the Buns in the noughties, I admit I was wrong back then to do it and apologise to anyone in the industry who was offended, concerned or thought it was disgusting to provide that website. In retrospect, I agree with you all.

Ditto. We all change.

Whilst I think there is no offensiveness still in rating the attractiveness of other people and that the act of putting up a website detailing the people you find attractive is not in and off itself sexist or misogynistic, what I dislike (which I never got from your site as I do remember it) is when people are horrible or condescending to others online because of the way they look.

I wouldn't be embarrassed if I was you about your former ownership of the site. Just think of it as a reflection of a younger man.

I was proud of those Q&As though, it was my main contribution to the website. Another great thing about TVF which I'll miss is that while we have a moral compass, it's also forgiving to people who have genuinely made mistakes like myself and hard on those who are complete travesties to the work we do as enthusiasts.
Soupnzi and Critique gave kudos
JO
johnnyboy Founding member

Ditto. We all change.

I was proud of those Q&As though, it was my main contribution to the website. Another great thing about TVF which I'll miss is that while we have a moral compass, it's also forgiving to people who have genuinely made mistakes like myself and hard on those who are complete travesties to the work we do as enthusiasts.

I seem to remember creating a thread called "BBC NUDES 24" back in 2002-ish on a similar topic to your website.

It was quickly deleted and, following a quick slap from Asa and the mods, I was forgiven and it was forgotten.

And, like you, I am at a different stage of my life now so I wouldn't do the same again.
AndrewPSSP and London Lite gave kudos
JL
J. Lyric
Random suggestion - some kind of countdown on the homepage leading to the final day?
DeMarkay, itvblocks and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
JL
J. Lyric
Random suggestion - some kind of countdown on the homepage leading to the final day?

A quick mock to showcase my point:

Days - Hours - Minutes - Seconds?
AndrewPSSP, itvblocks and Owen A gave kudos
GE
thegeek Founding member
I wonder how many other TV personalities have lurked here over the years, or even posted under a made up name. I can think of a few on screen TV geeks who must have visited at some point.

Greggles, NickyS he appeared on news 24 I’m sure.

Ah, I'd forgotten about NickyS. I assume it was via here that he sent out some 'save BBC Three News' wristbands, from when wristbands were a thing and BBC Three News was being axed. (I've since discovered that he sends a bunch of branded tat to friends and colleagues at Christmas so has form with such things).

He's also one of the small number of forum members I've met - I think almost all have been in a work context and I haven't necessarily always outed myself as being on here!
SO
Soupnzi
Never mind wristbands. Does anyone remember the terrible song released in the mid-80s to save Dr Who? We need the TVF equivalent.
PE
Pete Founding member
I wonder how many other TV personalities have lurked here over the years, or even posted under a made up name. I can think of a few on screen TV geeks who must have visited at some point.

Greggles, NickyS he appeared on news 24 I’m sure.

Ah, I'd forgotten about NickyS. I assume it was via here that he sent out some 'save BBC Three News' wristbands, from when wristbands were a thing and BBC Three News was being axed. (I've since discovered that he sends a bunch of branded tat to friends and colleagues at Christmas so has form with such things).

He's also one of the small number of forum members I've met - I think almost all have been in a work context and I haven't necessarily always outed myself as being on here!

BH
BillyH Founding member

A quick mock to showcase my point:

Days - Hours - Minutes - Seconds?

Ending with this?

Newer posts