The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
CraigWills
From a presentation point today, Sky are juggling the Scottish inquiry with The Budget coverage. Adam Boulton has led coverage since 10am.
10am-12pm was changed to “Sky News with Adam Boulton” rather last minute. “PMQs” was scheduled 12-12:30 & “The Budget” is down on the EPG from 12:30-17:00. It’s a little bit messed up as Sky didn’t show PMQs on the main channel, then they did show the Budget live and have some reaction afterwards; Sam Coates in the Westminster Studio with Adam, Sarah Hewson on location in West Sussex & Ed Conway in the Glass Box. But since 2:30 they’ve been showing the Scottish Inquiry live once more but the EPG has down The Budget still.

I get these are all live events, but I think they could have done a better job of managing what the EPG says. Anyone who may have recorded a budget programme is actually getting a lot more Nicola Sturgeon than expected, likewise anyone who tapes PMQs!

I just can’t imagine many people would record Sky News tbh; if you wanted to watch back the Budget later surely most people would seek it out On Demand somewhere.

Well I’m sure there’s not huge numbers recording Sky News, I agree. But it is daft to be watching “The Budget” which I think pretty much continuously showed Nicola Sturgeon being questioned for two hours.

The midnight news coming from studio 6 tonight/this morning, as opposed to the glass box.

Also, it seems that 00:00-06:00 may no longer be coming from the Glass Box on a regular basis again, Vanessa Baffoe did Tuesday & Wednesday from studio 6 too and Sam Naz on air now from studio 6 also.

The News Hour yesterday (Wednesday) came from Westminster with Mark Austin, first time I’ve seen Mark host from there, the desk was set up the way Adam Boulton usually has it. The Westminster studio is growing on me actually, the evening backdrop definitely looks best. It’s a shame that Sky News Tonight is now coming from the Glass Box since the start of the year. Interestingly even on Budget Day (when Adam/Mark were at Westminster), Dermot still presented from Glass Box at 7pm.
Last edited by CraigWills on 4 March 2021 1:03am - 2 times in total
VA
valley
Indeed, overnights are coming from Studio 6 for the foreseeable future I believe.
They are trying to reduce crewing rates in Millbank hence why Tonight is still in the GB. Mark was in Millbank yesterday to allow Ed to be in the Glass Box doing analysis and asking a question during the 5pm press conference.
CW
CraigWills
Indeed, overnights are coming from Studio 6 for the foreseeable future I believe.
They are trying to reduce crewing rates in Millbank hence why Tonight is still in the GB. Mark was in Millbank yesterday to allow Ed to be in the Glass Box doing analysis and asking a question during the 5pm press conference.

Ed Conway is always at home in front of a screen and some charts! However the use of the screen when asking a question at the press conference was very good, seen a few journalists appreciating the effort!

Any idea what prompted the change to the Glass Box initially for the overnights and then why they’ve now went back?
Last edited by CraigWills on 4 March 2021 10:40pm
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Really missed a trick at the presser while showing the graph on screen to do a Chris Witty style "next slide please"
WO
Worzel
Caught a new Sky News promo airing today. Basically showing various presenters and reporters at the big screens presenting graphs and anaylsis. A nice wide shot was used from the budget so we got to see Ed Conway and the steadicam operator zipping around in the glass box. Can't seem to find it online anywhere.
VA
valley
Caught a new Sky News promo airing today. Basically showing various presenters and reporters at the big screens presenting graphs and anaylsis. A nice wide shot was used from the budget so we got to see Ed Conway and the steadicam operator zipping around in the glass box. Can't seem to find it online anywhere.

There's been a promo running for a few weeks with Ed Conway running round during the election, is this the same but with an amended shot?
WO
Worzel

There's been a promo running for a few weeks with Ed Conway running round during the election, is this the same but with an amended shot?

There's definitely (what seems) a shot from the Budget in there so they could've just added it in.
ME
mediamonkeyuk

It has aired just now into the break at 10:47 if you want to scroll back on the YouTube Feed. Assuming promos air there before the international guff replaces the domestic ads.
VA
valley

There's definitely (what seems) a shot from the Budget in there so they could've just added it in.

If this is the shot you were referring to, it's a shot from the 2019 election; it says "Labour defence" at the top and is not in the Glass Box.
ME
mediamonkeyuk

If this is the shot you were referring to, it's a shot from the 2019 election; it says "Labour defence" at the top and is not in the Glass Box.

It’s not that one, there’s a very brief shot from the budget that has been bolted on to the front of that promo over the past few days showing Ed in front of a chart.
:-(
A former member
I have to say I like this recent focus on numbers and their increasing use of Ed Conway as explainer-in-chief. It’s this level of detail that will differentiate them from GB News and I think they’ll do it more and more.
London Lite and CallumF gave kudos
CF
CallumF
I have to say I like this recent focus on numbers and their increasing use of Ed Conway as explainer-in-chief. It’s this level of detail that will differentiate them from GB News and I think they’ll do it more and more.

Yes, he’s very good - while in this instance it was of course the budget he was reporting on I’m not sure I see much more of reporting as his role of ‘Economics Editor’ - this data sort of data journalism/analysis is what he seems to excel at and is needed these days. (His colleague, Mark Kleinman, seems to do more business coverage - and is excellent at doing so).

In terms of delivery Ed is a much improved version of the BBC’s Head of Statistics, Robert Cuffe.

Newer posts