TV Home Forum

BBC Three channel to return in January 2022

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Jonwo posted:
It would be great for Torchwood to return, but it is probably too expensive for a return on BBC Three unless they can sell it well international to help fund it as per later series.

The cost was the main reason it moved from BBC Three to BBC Two then to BBC One. I suspect had they not cut the episode count for series 3, they wouldn’t have got a third series.

Strong argument for scrapping BBC daytime schedules and running News 24 on BBC1 and World on BBC2.

That said, I could be talking complete rubbish because I don't know how much it costs to run daytime schedules on 1 and 2. It might a drop in the ocean barely enough to pay for a series of Torchwood.
AD
adamiow
It would be amusing if Cuckoo gets another series eventually, as it will have been on the channel, online and then on the channel again.
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:
It would be great for Torchwood to return, but it is probably too expensive for a return on BBC Three unless they can sell it well international to help fund it as per later series.

The cost was the main reason it moved from BBC Three to BBC Two then to BBC One. I suspect had they not cut the episode count for series 3, they wouldn’t have got a third series.

Strong argument for scrapping BBC daytime schedules and running News 24 on BBC1 and World on BBC2.

That said, I could be talking complete rubbish because I don't know how much it costs to run daytime schedules on 1 and 2. It might a drop in the ocean barely enough to pay for a series of Torchwood.

Only a news junkie would want BBC Daytime to be replaced by news.
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Jonwo posted:
Jonwo posted:

Only a news junkie would want BBC Daytime to be replaced by news.

Or someone who works during the day and would like a better choice of prime time drama, documentaries, etc. I wouldn't even see the news during this time 😀
LL
London Lite Founding member
Daytime tv is still an important outlet for those who are housebound, work different shifts, stay at home parents or are older. They deserve to be entertained and informed as licence fee payers as much as those who work during the day and watch primetime shows.

It's all too easy for the daytime target audience to leave the tv on BBC One or ITV and leave it there all day. While news has it's place in daytime with the allocated slots or for major breaking news stories, the news channels are still the right place for news junkies home during the workday.
JO
Jonwo
There’s a snootiness about daytime programmes but it can be as entertaining and informative as prime time programmes.
LL
Jonwo posted:
There’s a snootiness about daytime programmes but it can be as entertaining and informative as prime time programmes.

Some of the BBC1 factual content in the mornings can be good. The Sheriffs are Coming (which also had a primetime airing), Crimewatch Roadshow etc all have some form of PSB in them. Even the likes of Homes Under the Hammer and A Place in the Sun on Channel 4 are perfectly watchable shows.
Jonwo and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jonwo posted:

Some of the BBC1 factual content in the mornings can be good. The Sheriffs are Coming (which also had a primetime airing), Crimewatch Roadshow etc all have some form of PSB in them. Even the likes of Homes Under the Hammer and A Place in the Sun on Channel 4 are perfectly watchable shows.

To be fair daytime TV isn't particularly appealing at the best of times, some might argue its a conspiracy to get people out to work so they don't have to sit and watch it.

A lot of daytime is aspirational - buy this tatty old house for an arm and a leg and spend the other arm and leg doing/fixing it up and hopefully flogging it for more than you spent in the first place. See the delights of Australia or New Zealand on Wanted Down Under and find out whether the Johnsons upped sticks or not. Buy some cheap tat from a car boot sale in Bridlington and see if it sells at an auction house in Scarborough, preferably for more than you paid for it in the first place.

Cop/reality shows seem to be good daytime filler too - the likes of Can't Pay We'll Take It Away, Road Wars and Police Interceptors pop up quite regularly, obvious message to take away from this is if (in normal times) you get pulled over for driving like a **** and there's a bloke with a camera on his shoulder who comes out of the squad car, you will never be allowed to forget it, as it will appear for the next decade or two somewhere...
AD
adamiow
A new incarnation of Waterloo Road would be a good addition to BBC Three. It would fit in well for the 7pm to 9pm 13+ content. You can do it a lot more cheaply than previously by reducing the run and utilising an existing school during holidays.
LL

Cop/reality shows seem to be good daytime filler too - the likes of Can't Pay We'll Take It Away, Road Wars and Police Interceptors pop up quite regularly, obvious message to take away from this is if (in normal times) you get pulled over for driving like a **** and there's a bloke with a camera on his shoulder who comes out of the squad car, you will never be allowed to forget it, as it will appear for the next decade or two somewhere...

Road Wars is still on over rotation on Pick, Sky Crime and dare I say other Sky branded entertainment channels. Everyone must have seen Pat and Carl arrest people at least twice by now! But they're easy filler to repeat, even if they have to blur out suspects and police officers who no longer wish to see themselves on tv.

There's also the Brit Cops series acquired by Sky after they bought Virgin Media Television which also gets a fair amount of airplay.
JE
Jeffmister
The most realistic thing that is going to happen is that the channel is going to be the second run outlet for iPlayer first commissions under the BBC Three brand. So you're still going to get first run on iPlayer and then a linear run

If you read the Public Interest Test consultation document, it states that:

Quote:
BBC Three will continue an iPlayer-first commissioning approach, leveraging linear and digital audience touchpoints.

Not sure whether that means what you're suggesting or if programs will continue to be commissioned with iPlayer in mind rather than the linear channel
LL
The most realistic thing that is going to happen is that the channel is going to be the second run outlet for iPlayer first commissions under the BBC Three brand. So you're still going to get first run on iPlayer and then a linear run

If you read the Public Interest Test consultation document, it states that:

Quote:
BBC Three will continue an iPlayer-first commissioning approach, leveraging linear and digital audience touchpoints.

Not sure whether that means what you're suggesting or if programs will continue to be commissioned with iPlayer in mind rather than the linear channel

I think that what that Birtspeak means, the commissions are for iPlayer which then go on BBC Three's linear tv channel and other digital platforms. (Presumably to sell on overseas and to Netflix/Britbox).

Newer posts