TV Home Forum

BBC Three channel to return in January 2022

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
Roger Darthwell
At risk of wild speculating I couldn't help noting.
I dare say this might help give them cover should they ever review the political hornet's nest that is BBC Scotland (channel).

Sorry if I ask but I don't understand why this would give the BBC cover should they ever review the BBC Scotland channel?

Perhaps they might spin it to say that the BBC Scotland budget is now still there but they are showing the programmes on more popular channels.

In the next year or two, they could quietly end that spending, put it all into BBC3, and strongly promote Scottish programmes on the channel in the hope noone will notice the missing money.

That is the conspiracy theorist in me.

This is no conspiracy theory mate! Your theory is exactly spot on! In fact almost half of the programmes on the Scotland channel can easily fit on BBC Three!
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Sorry if I ask but I don't understand why this would give the BBC cover should they ever review the BBC Scotland channel?

Perhaps they might spin it to say that the BBC Scotland budget is now still there but they are showing the programmes on more popular channels.

In the next year or two, they could quietly end that spending, put it all into BBC3, and strongly promote Scottish programmes on the channel in the hope noone will notice the missing money.

This is no conspiracy theory mate! Your theory is exactly spot on! In fact almost half of the programmes on the Scotland channel can easily fit on BBC Three!

And the rest can fit on TWO or ONE.

And if the wanted to keep a 'the Nine' style programme it could work quite well on BBC3 Scotland at 7.
RD
Roger Darthwell

And if the wanted to keep a 'the Nine' style programme it could work quite well on BBC3 Scotland at 7.

Or even better, on BBC1 Scotland at 6
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

I think that could be controversial. Moving the bespoke Scottish bulliten on BBC2 or 3 Scotland would be a much easier solution.
RD
Roger Darthwell

I think that could be controversial. Moving the bespoke Scottish bulliten on BBC2 or 3 Scotland would be a much easier solution.

At this point BBC2 is the perfect place for it!
DM
DeeMartie
I know the won't do it but I'd kill to see them bring back Torchwood.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

"What are you in for?"
"Double homicide. You?"
"Said I'd kill somebody to see BBC Three bring Torchwood back."
JO
johnnyboy Founding member

Ditto. I love Doctor Who but I loved Torchwood even more.

Captain Jack is the best spin off character in the Whoniverse and his Cardiff team was great.

Please bring it back.
AndrewPSSP, DeeMartie and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
AD
adamiow
It would be great for Torchwood to return, but it is probably too expensive for a return on BBC Three unless they can sell it well international to help fund it as per later series.
JO
Jonwo
It would be great for Torchwood to return, but it is probably too expensive for a return on BBC Three unless they can sell it well international to help fund it as per later series.

The cost was the main reason it moved from BBC Three to BBC Two then to BBC One. I suspect had they not cut the episode count for series 3, they wouldn’t have got a third series.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The most realistic thing that is going to happen is that the channel is going to be the second run outlet for iPlayer first commissions under the BBC Three brand. So you're still going to get first run on iPlayer and then a linear run.

Repeats I'd like to hope are those from the channel's heritage, shows like This Country, People Just Do Nothing, Siblings, Fleabag or at a stretch, Two Pints along with the Stacey Dooley documentaries.
NA
natwel27
Seeing as Torchwood worked its way up to BBC Two and then to BBC One, I'm not sure whether it would make much sense for it to go back to BBC Three. Then again, the popularity of the show would provide the perfect incentive for people to start tuning into Three again.

Newer posts