TV Home Forum

ITV Programming Thread

2017 (January 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM
A slightly odd announcement during the end credits of Vera just now.

The CA said "stay with me for the ITV news"

Pretty sure that announcement is used fairly regularly on ITV for a while now. Was in a female announcer by any chance? I notice her using it a great deal

Yes, it was a female announcer. Don’t recall hearing it before

I've heard her say it several times.
JA
JAS84
Remember during the first year of the 2013 rebrand it was all "your ITV"?
"Coming up next on your ITV, it's This Morning"
I don't think it lasted long 😄
I guess it's them trying to add a more personal connection to the viewer, same with this announcer saying "stay with me"

Most announcers would say "stay with us ".
itvblocks, kernow and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Remember during the first year of the 2013 rebrand it was all "your ITV"?
"Coming up next on your ITV, it's This Morning"
I don't think it lasted long 😄
I guess it's them trying to add a more personal connection to the viewer, same with this announcer saying "stay with me"

Most announcers would say "stay with us ".

Announcers having bad days would probably say "next on BBC One, its Doctors", while announcing on ITV.
Although that being said, it was discussed previously (was it a Party Political Broadcast?) an ITV announcer did go out on BBC One by accident?
TV
TV Times
Sounds like Christine Hewitt was the announcer last night on ITV - she quite often uses the 'Stay with me' line. She introduced herself on air a few times too (like the BBC announcers do - well some of them!) but that seems to have been dropped.
KE
kernow
During the end credits of Catchphrase just now, they promoted TOWIE and Strictly Come Dancing on Britbox.

Don't think I've seen ITV promote BBC shows on Britbox like this before.

Does the BBC promote ITV shows in the same way?
AS
Ash101
During the end credits of Catchphrase just now, they promoted TOWIE and Strictly Come Dancing on Britbox.

They’ve been doing it quite a bit over the last few months. I don’t believe the BBC air Britbox promos in the same way though, definitely not over the end credits like ITV have been.

Do they air the Graham Norton voiced promo?
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

They've been doing it for a while during the credits. I've seen Doctor Who and Strictly Come Dancing mentioned several times.
JA
james-2001
I don't recall seeing any Britbox promotions on the BBC, unless I'm mistaken.
JO
Jonwo
BritBox is a joint venture with BBC Studios rather than the BBC itself. Wouldn’t make much sense for them to promote a SVOD service much you don’t see them promote the UKTV channels which are also fully owned by BBC Studios
MarkT76, Jeffmister and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
It’s interesting that they are allowed to advertise BritBox within normal presentation rather than just in the ad breaks.

We’ve come a long way since they got told off for using g-wizz urls.
SW
Steve Williams
Although that being said, it was discussed previously (was it a Party Political Broadcast?) an ITV announcer did go out on BBC One by accident?

Didn't want this forum to close without getting an answer, but yes, the other way round though. This was back in the late sixties I think when for PPBs, the Beeb would play them out and ITV would simply rebroadcast BBC1 (this was the era when they were on all channels at the same time, of course). I think the convention was that they would join the feed five seconds after the hour so both could do their own announcement, but someone at ITV seemingly wasn't aware of that and joined it dead on the hour so got the BBC1 announcement as well (it wasn't BBC-branded).

The BBC1 announcer, in jest, sent ITV an invoice for one guinea for the use of his services. And they paid it.
MA
Markymark

Didn't want this forum to close without getting an answer, but yes, the other way round though. This was back in the late sixties I think when for PPBs, the Beeb would play them out and ITV would simply rebroadcast BBC1 (this was the era when they were on all channels at the same time, of course). I think the convention was that they would join the feed five seconds after the hour so both could do their own announcement, but someone at ITV seemingly wasn't aware of that and joined it dead on the hour so got the BBC1 announcement as well (it wasn't BBC-branded).

The BBC1 announcer, in jest, sent ITV an invoice for one guinea for the use of his services. And they paid it.

It was a line feed from TVC to Thames (or LWT if it was a Friday), rather than off-air BBC 1. What was odd, is why the BBC didn't feed them with a clean feed from the playout VTR, rather than the dirty 'pres' feed ?

There was an instance of Peter Brook (?) going out on Thames at the end of a PPB. Didn't he invoice them for a laugh, and good sports that they were, they paid it !
Last edited by Markymark on 8 March 2021 3:23pm

Newer posts