Admiral Sven
Something about April 1st seems odd... April Fool anyone? Laughing
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
rob posted:
Now, will we all get founding member badges? Wink

Nope. Too much hassle. Wink

How about if we say please? Wink

If we can't have a badge, then I notice you're doing the purple marker/tag/whatever it was called for the insiders, surely it wouldn't be any harder to set up for the founders to have, say, a red one?

Your choice of course whether to do the founders thing or not, I won't mention it again.

Why would we need it though. Possibly after 4 or 5 years people who joined in the first month could get a badge. But it would be completely pointless if everyone had an identical badge.
DW
DavidWhitfield
BBI45 posted:
You seem to wish a potentially deadly virus on people who you deem to be 'idiots'. How can we trust that all reasonable opinions will be heard when you seem more than willing to lash out at somebody who you see as an 'idiot'?

Frankly, when dealing with three/four (?) trolls insulting you and trying to derail your video during a live stream, I think a very quick, flippant remark - immediately retracted within the video in any case - is not a disproportionate response. There's a big difference between taking a measured and calculated view of an on-site issue, for example, rules being bent by a user on a forum and how best to deal with this, and having to endure people throwing insults at you in a live stream and having to act immediately. I don't think you need to worry about fairness of treatment on TV Live Forum at all, BBI45.

In any case, an informative live stream in general and good to hear how things are progressing with the new site, and to find out more about what kind of rules will carry over from TVF e.g. megathread guidance, and where we may see changes, e.g. 'verified' industry insider badges.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Why would we need it though. Possibly after 4 or 5 years people who joined in the first month could get a badge. But it would be completely pointless if everyone had an identical badge.

Considering I waited 18 years to get this one, another 4/5 years isn't the issue and its beside the point anyway.

Technically if we've all filled in the pre-registration form we will be older (registration date wise) than the forum we're going to be on. Nobody else who joins afterwards will have that honour so it will be unique to however many people move over. Like the founding member badge here if you weren't on TV Forum in 2001, you ain't going to get a badge now 20 years later.

Anyway I've had my say on the issue and I said I wasn't going to keep banging on about it, so I'll stop there.
NE
newmocker
BBI45 posted:

It's difficult to tell exactly what's going on without the live chat replay. However, from this section of video, you seem to wish a potentially deadly virus on people who you deem to be 'idiots'. How can we trust that all reasonable opinions will be heard when you seem more than willing to lash out at somebody who you see as an 'idiot'? What would be stopping you from banning somebody for saying something that you don't like, even if it's a valid point? And whilst you might backtrack a few seconds later on this occasion, what's to say that you won't backtrack the next time someone angers you?

While of course I don’t agree with trolls/attacking others, I have to say that I too am concerned.

You spent much of the video talking about respect and the forum being a friendly place, but at the first sign of trouble you tell someone to F-Off and then wish COVID upon them.

This doesn’t excuse their behaviour, but it could have, and should have, been dealt with in a very different manner.
Soupnzi and FanOfTV99 gave kudos
RO
rob Founding member

Technically if we've all filled in the pre-registration form we will be older (registration date wise) than the forum we're going to be on.

Everyone will have the same registration date of April 1st, apart from myself and the moderators who already have access to the forum. Smile

This doesn’t excuse their behaviour, but it could have, and should have, been dealt with in a very different manner.

Yes you are right, I should have dealt with it in a different manner. I was out of order, I've apologised, let's move on please.
DE88 and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
BB
BBI45
rob posted:
Quote:
It's difficult to tell exactly what's going on without the live chat replay. However, from this section of video, you seem to wish a potentially deadly virus on people who you deem to be 'idiots'. How can we trust that all reasonable opinions will be heard when you seem more than willing to lash out at somebody who you see as an 'idiot'? What would be stopping you from banning somebody for saying something that you don't like, even if it's a valid point? And whilst you might backtrack a few seconds later on this occasion, what's to say that you won't backtrack the next time someone angers you?

It was purely in the heat of the moment. I know that I'm going to need a thick skin to run this site, and I am prepared to take the flack if the proverbial hits the fan. I apologise for that remark. It was a stupid thing to say considering I've had Covid myself.

I accept that it was a brief period of poor judgement, and it's good that you're taking responsibility for it. However, as somebody who deals with the public on a near daily basis, let me put it bluntly.

You will come across people that will wind you up. There is nothing wrong with thinking of them as idiots (or any other harsher terms you can think of). There is nothing wrong with wanting to take that person's head and stick it down the toilet. However, you will be above them and you'll need to be setting a good example for members old and new, and you can't be allowing any personal frustrations with them, or anybody else, to be influencing your behaviour. As soon as those frustrations are getting ahead of you, you are no longer in control.

If I was in your shoes right now, I'd be looking to learn from this error and find ways to quickly calm myself down, so that any decision is made on the basis of set rules, instead of personal feelings. You could do some breathing exercises, or listen to a song that you love, or have some expensive chocolate that you treat yourself to if somebody is being an idiot, or even taking shots of vodka .

Whatever you decide to do, use this pre-launch period to try and find a way to manage any stress / anger. Because even though you've accepted the error of your ways now, the first impression has already been made.
RO
rob Founding member
I appreciate your thoughts BBI45. I won't shy away from the fact that I do have a problem with my anger. I am quick to jump the gun and snap. I have always been like that. It's something I am really trying to control, and today it got the better of me. It doesn't help that since having Covid, my sleep patterns are all over the place at the moment. The positivity that I've had from setting this site up though has really helped me be calm and relaxed in recent days.

I spend a lot of time relaxing at the moment away from the forum by the way, I enjoy a nice long walk, I host a quiz on Facebook once a month, and listen to a lot of music through my fab new internet radio.

Like I have said, I am sorry for what happened, I will promise that things like that don't affect how I run the forum.

Could we please move on from this now? Thank you.

BBI45 posted:
or even taking shots of vodka .

Will whisky do? Very Happy
LL
London Lite Founding member
I doubt Rob will be streaming many other TVLF live videos once the forum has started, plus he has two capable forum mods to deal with the troll element.

At no point did I think that he was unprofessional despite getting wound up by a couple of idiots who thought they'd wind him up, while I agree that if he does more videos, he should control his temper a bit better, I don't have any concerns about him being the admin of the new site for which he's invested time and money to setting up so we can carry on as we are.
JO
Joe
Sorry to have missed the stream and not be able to watch it back.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I doubt Rob will be streaming many other TVLF live videos once the forum has started, plus he has two capable forum mods to deal with the troll element.

At no point did I think that he was unprofessional despite getting wound up by a couple of idiots who thought they'd wind him up, while I agree that if he does more videos, he should control his temper a bit better, I don't have any concerns about him being the admin of the new site for which he's invested time and money to setting up so we can carry on as we are.

To be honest I've seen pre-recorded videos of people on YouTube be a lot worse than Rob was on the live stream, and they're not even reacting to anything "live", they've just found a soapbox somewhere to stand on.

Web forums are hard work, I've ran two or three before. Especially when you have to fit in looking after them, upgrading the software, being the big cheese, having the final say and whatever else, all round a 9-5 job as well. Its one thing to be paid to have stuff thrown at you when you're paid to have stuff thrown at you (I work in frontline customer service and did retail before that so I've been there), but quite another when you're having stuff thrown at you by somebody hiding behind the username Peanuthead.
DE88, BBI45 and London Lite gave kudos
RO
rob Founding member
I've removed the video.

To confirm a few key points:

- Same messageboards as currently on TVF, radio discussion and general chat stays with Metropol.
- Requests forum will require 20 posts on the forum before access.
- Gallery forum may not open straight away depending on the setup.
- Rota threads discouraged.
- If it has nothing to do with TV presentation, take it to Metropol
- Megathreads are out.

Newer posts