TV Home Forum

BBC Three channel to return in January 2022

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JF
JF World News
Would things like Formula E and sports on iPlayer be shown on delay.

Ideal time to launch would be February for Winter Olympic Games
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Would things like Formula E and sports on iPlayer be shown on delay.

Ideal time to launch would be February for Winter Olympic Games

What do you mean by 'shown on delay' exactly.

Catch-up?

Delayed by 5-10 minutes?
BA
Ballyboy
I would like 60 seconds to get a brand new look with the Reith font. That pink and black one vas been used for ages.
LV
LondonViewer

BBC Three's budget has doubled though so there will be more new programmes!

So confusing. How can they afford it? Thought they were broke. All these cuts in news etc. Yet they can afford to launch extra tv channels. Strange times.
JO
Jonwo

So confusing. How can they afford it? Thought they were broke. All these cuts in news etc. Yet they can afford to launch extra tv channels. Strange times.

News isn't the be all and end all of the BBC....
JK
JKDerry
They have made a reasonable profit from their commercial arm BBC Studios, who gave over £200 million to the BBC, so they could dip into that profit for a new budget for BBC Three.
LV
LondonViewer
Jonwo posted:

News isn't the be all and end all of the BBC....

Didn’t say it was, but seems odd to be pleading poverty, making cuts and then launching additional services when they can’t afford the ones they have.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member

I think it's mainly coming from the budget of BBC Four? But rather than go through all of the hassle of trying to close it down followed by the inevitable bowing to public pressure and keeping it open, they're simply reducing its budget to peanuts and keeping it going as an 'archive-focused' channel.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/bbc-three-relaunch-proposals-revealed

At risk of wild speculating I couldn't help noting.
Quote:
BBC Three will have a mission to target young audience groups not currently well represented by the BBC, including those from ethnic minorities and ‘working class’ audiences in Scotland , Northern Ireland, northern and central England.

I dare say this might help give them cover should they ever review the political hornet's nest that is BBC Scotland (channel).
MarkT76, Roger Darthwell and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

Savings from efficency it says, which there has been a lot of. The increased programme budget was allocated for 2020/21 so it's already there.

The cost of actually taking those programmes and putting them into a channel will be minimal. The airtime already exists, they'll possibly need an extra post or 2 for the scheduling/media planning or that might just be extra work for those already doing that for other channels. They're already making trails for BBC Three so no extra work there, same for publicity.

It'll be a bit of configuration to do the time switching (on a system that already exists) and whatever it takes Red Bee to do to, which is really just an extra few hours of playout time a day. It's not like the old days when a new channel meant building transmitters and installing masses of equipment
RD
Roger Darthwell

Quote:
BBC Three will have a mission to target young audience groups not currently well represented by the BBC, including those from ethnic minorities and ‘working class’ audiences in Scotland , Northern Ireland, northern and central England.

I dare say this might help give them cover should they ever review the political hornet's nest that is BBC Scotland (channel).

Sorry if I ask but I don't understand why this would give the BBC cover should they ever review the BBC Scotland channel?
Last edited by Roger Darthwell on 6 March 2021 12:03pm
JO
johnnyboy Founding member

Quote:

Sorry if I ask but I don't understand why this would give the BBC cover should they ever review the BBC Scotland channel?

Perhaps they might spin it to say that the BBC Scotland budget is now still there but they are showing the programmes on more popular channels.

In the next year or two, they could quietly end that spending, put it all into BBC3, and strongly promote Scottish programmes on the channel in the hope noone will notice the missing money.

That is the conspiracy theorist in me.

Newer posts