TV Home Forum

…and finally

News about TV Forum (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
themagicmonkey
Another old-time account dusted off to say thanks, and goodbye. I cringe looking back at some of my pretentious teenage posts, but I'm still lurking 15 years on.
IT
itvblocks
It's amazing to see old and new accounts, active or lurkers coming together and saying their goodbyes to the forum and thanking all the staff for their work throughout the years.

It really is amazing. What a great community this is.
DW
DavidWhitfield
I have enjoyed reading the various reports of 'lurking'.
I can remember browsing - with great interest - this site for at least three or four years before I dared to sign up and begin posting myself, but I never let on to anyone here that I'd been hiding in the shadows and watching the conversations progress and seeing how the forum works from the outside for a while first as I thought I'd sound like a bit of a weirdo...
I do look back and wish I'd signed up myself a touch sooner now - I'm sure I didn't need to wait quite that long to get a proper feel for the place and how it operates - but it's good, at least, to know I'm not alone in having started out as a 'lurker'!
IT
itvblocks
I have enjoyed reading the various reports of 'lurking'.
I can remember browsing - with great interest - this site for at least three or four years before I dared to sign up and begin posting myself, but I never let on to anyone here that I'd been hiding in the shadows and getting a feel for the site and how it all works from the outside for a while first as I thought I'd sound like a bit of a weirdo...
I do look back and wish I'd signed up myself a touch sooner now, but it's good, at least, to know I'm not alone in having started out as a 'lurker'!

Definitely, I can admit to that as well.

I've been on here when I haven't had an account, just browsing through posts (mainly old posts of breakdowns.etc), as I've said before, it wasn't until a breakdown thread was created by somebody where people were uploading clips from YouTube on there when I went a created an account!

Being on here for more than a couple of years, it feels much longer than that, so I can only imagine what it must feel for those that have been here since day one.
CA
Cavan
Cavan posted:
Not a particularly nice vibe on there. I’ve read some awful comments about people from TVF, and it didn’t seem to moderated as vigorously as this place. I actually fear for those who’ve been cruelly dissected on there. A bit of a one-stop shop of pedantry and tragedy.

It's valid to feel upset if your comments or opinions are mocked, but let's not go down the road of insinuating that there's an epidemic of Metropol-induced PTSD.

I’ve never been mocked on there tbh as I’ve barely ever posted. By the way, your casual PTSD comment typifies the sort of ill-judged stuff I’ve seen from time to time, albeit not an ‘epidemic’.

Cool, so you must agree that saying that you "actually fear for those who’ve been cruelly dissected on there" would also fall under your purview of "ill-judged stuff", right?
JO
Joe
Perhaps we could leave discussion of Metropol for elsewhere and not spoilt this of all threads?
MI
mikeyskin
I have been wondering what to write about this news since it was announced a few days ago.
I joined back in 2009. Despite that, I only have a handful of posts to my name - mainly due to not wishing to write something that I shouldn't have with the knowledge that I have from my job that would then get me in trouble.
From someone on the inside, who has 'lurked' here every day, taken on board a number of the comments that have been made in various posts, and attempted to make changes wherever I had the ability to do so I would just like to express my thanks. Especially to Asa for hosting the site for all these years, and for all the mods for managing to keep the conversations in check. It's something that has become part of my daily work/life routine - wake up, check TV Forum, do work through the day, check TV Forum, and repeat. I'm really going to miss it.
For those of you who may be wondering - at one time I was a director in playout. My favourite memory of that time was being the person to put the montage together of the rhythm and movement idents package. Despite what some people think, there are a number of us who care very deeply about the presentation of the channels and the world in which we work.
These days I am kept occupied building graphics templates into the automation system for a number of clients. I think my best memories of this is the yearly reveal of the Christmas presentation packages and seeing people's reactions to them, and also being able to keep the BBC Two curves identity refresh secret until its launch. As for the future... well, only time will tell. Unfortunately I am under instructions to keep all my clients work secret until it is transmitted on screen.
But to everyone who enjoys this strange world of television presentation, whether that's work or pleasure, thank you for making the last 12 years so interesting.
"Opt out, opt out, and cut."
TH
Thaedur
Cheers to TV Forum, and goodbye to all that!

Nick Harvey, Alfie Mulcahy and London Lite gave kudos
RI
Rijowhi
Thank you Asa (and team) for your hard work. I shall miss posting on here and being sometimes controversial (never rude though!). Wishing you all the very best and Thank you again. I want to say Thanks to all my fellow posters too.
PA
patrickm
Very sorry to read this. Between boards.ie and here - really the only two sites I read daily. Ye will be missed. A lot.
AJ
AJB39
Like many on here I was a lurker for a long time before finally joining the forum last year. This site has been a brilliant source of info about developments in the TV industry. I don’t work in the industry but I’m always bowled over by the depth of knowledge that those who post on this site who do work in the industry have. I wish we had an equivalent site like this in Ireland. Thank you to Asa and everybody who ran the site. I will miss it a lot.
AN
Andy89
I’ve ‘lurked’ on these forums for many years. Thanks for all the posters and keeping me entertained on a daily basis. Thanks for everything I’ve learned and thanks to the moderators for keeping the forum active.

All the best Asa and team

Newer posts