TV Home Forum

20 years since the Real IRA bombing of BBC TV Centre

History (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I'm pretty sure if you watch that footage closely you can see it loop back to the start every now and then, so presumably was pre-recorded.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Wasn't Thames Television petrol-bombed in the 70s/80s and it didn't become common knowledge until quite recently? I'm sure I didn't dream that but can't seem to find any reference to it online.
MA
Markymark
Wasn't Thames Television petrol-bombed in the 70s/80s and it didn't become common knowledge until quite recently? I'm sure I didn't dream that but can't seem to find any reference to it online.

I always thought their rivalry with LWT was a myth ?

But seriously, they did apparently get replaced by TVS one afternoon in the 80s ? Perhaps that was the day ?
CO
commseng
I'd not heard that about Thames being attacked before - I assume this refers to their Euston Road building?
BU
buster
The House Party postponement continuity announcement is here

It's worth remembering out how quickly things must have moved within those 55 minutes to go from just delaying the show, to the show not happening, to having Noel in the broom cupboard to (sort of) explain things. That they managed the latter shows some remarkably quick thinking to try and shore up one of the Beeb's biggest shows not airing. Though it is curious the nominated standby was a Christmas special...yes it's still Noel, but not entirely seasonal as he alludes to in the NC1 link. I guess it wasn't entirely unusual at this point. There were however no House Party compilations to use at this point - it is likely they would have used these had it happened from the following series. And of course they did, in January 1998, though they had a little more notice that time.

It'd be interesting to see any of the contemporary reports about a bomb scare. Clearly they wouldn't mention it on air as it gives the perpetrators the publicity they wanted, and I've no reason to believe it wasn't that, but having literally only ever seen it on forums and in YouTube comments you do wonder. The rest of that video is worth watching for the following week where the blackout is predictably blamed on Mr Blobby, and they show a brief clip of the NTV that never happened also. The Gotcha for Kriss Akabusi eventually appeared during the following series, by which point the trophy had been redesigned for those well-known reasons, so they had to blur it out during the VT and gave him the new model in the studio.

Interestingly the little feature in the Radio Times where they republish a snippet of an old schedule includes this show, that of course never transmitted.
DE88 and Steve Williams gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'd not heard that about Thames being attacked before - I assume this refers to their Euston Road building?

I've actually managed to find a 2005 article from the Camden New Journal:

Quote:
Revealed: The plan to blow up TV’s Sir David
Hunting through records made available under Freedom of Information laws, Richard Osley has uncovered a bizarre plot to firebomb the offices of Thames Television in 1970

BROADCASTER Sir David Frost was targeted in a crude plan to blow up television studios in King’s Cross, the New Journal can reveal.
In an unsophisticated but potentially deadly attack, an out-of-work advertising model hoped to leave the old Thames Television House in Euston Road in flames.

Details of the bizarre plot have remained secret for 35 years but due to Freedom of Information rules the police files surrounding the incident are no longer under wraps and have been unlocked by the National Records Office.

They include descriptions of how bungling arsonist Patricia Drew, then 25, walked into the former television company’s headquarters – once regarded as a state-of-the-art complex of studios and plush offices for executives – with a shopping bag stuffed full of do-it-yourself bombs on April 27, 1970.

The police files say she had become fixated with Sir David – one of the UK’s most popular presenters who boasts an impressive track record of scoring landmark interviews – and fellow chat show king Eamonn Andrews.

It is not thought, however, that either broadcaster knew at the time that they were at the centre of Ms Drew’s petrol bomb designs.

On the afternoon of the attack, receptionists and security staff at Thames were left shaken when she threw a burning milk bottle doused in petrol at a man at the front desk.

One building manager had to duck suddenly to avoid being hit.

Witness John Shea, the centre’s commissioner, said: “I heard a bang as it hit the wall. When the bomb hit the wall it was about three yards away from me.”

Flames engulfed carpets and a wall decorated with a leather-style fabric but the blaze was controlled before any injuries were sustained.

Staff at Thames later said Ms Drew had been seen in the building’s corridors and loitering near the props room.

She was arrested on the same day at a council flat in Copenhagen Street, Islington.

The once-secret police files sent to prosecutors building the case against Ms Drew, who months later was convicted of arson, confirm Sir David was her main target.

Ms Drew, who prison medics believed suffered from mental illness developed over two years, told police she thought killing Sir David and his colleagues would break a “wicked experiment” in which media bosses had tried to hypnotise her through her television set.
She said that things that happened to her would be broadcast in mesmerising nightly bulletins.

Detective Inspector John Harris later said in his report: “She (Ms Drew) formed the intention of blowing up Thames Television House and all the people in it, with David Frost as the main target. I should mention that she has never met David Frost but seems to have a fixation that he is involved… There is little doubt that she will eventually plead guilty to causing the fire. It should be made clear, however, that apart from this one fixation about television and television personalities she is otherwise normal.”

Ms Drew made a statement to police but changed her mind about signing it, leaving a half-written account in the investigator’s papers.

She said: “About two years ago I made an advertisement for Whitbreads Beers. After this I felt funny and when I had a drink I used to get very dizzy. I thought I was going mad and I went to hospital for a check-up but they said there was nothing wrong.”
There are no police mugshots in the bundle of papers but witnesses to the petrol bomb strike described her as having a dyed blonde hair and pimple-marked face.

Her work for the beer company was to pose for a poster advert.

In his own statement DI John Harris quotes Ms Drew extensively.

He said: “Ms Drew said ‘I had to do something so I decided to blow up the studios and try to get David Frost and Eamonn Andrews. I saw (how to make a petrol bomb) on television. I’m afraid it didn’t work very well. I was disappointed when it just flared up and didn’t explode. I waited around to find somebody in authority and when I saw a man sitting on the desk talking on the telephone he looked like someone in authority so I threw it (petrol bomb) at him. He looked important so I wanted to kill him and light the place. (David Frost) wasn’t there so anyone in authority would do. I had to stop the experiment’.”

Attempts to trace Ms Drew, who this year would celebrate her 60th birthday, have failed, although it is known she flitted from job to job in her mid-20s, working in Holborn and Islington in a photography shop and betting office.
DE88, Spencer and Hatton Cross gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
Amazing, and slightly amusing in equal measure.

Obviously, glad everyone involved at Thames Euston got away with no injuries from what could be a far nastier incident, but was David Frost even working for Thames at the time - or did the purputrator end up going to completly the wrong London franchise?

And I was amused at the bit about the firebomber 'claiming to be hypnotised by David Frost though the television'. Because if you look at some of Frosties television work later in the 1970's, his jaw and jowls are sinking so slowly, it's him that looks as though he's been hypnotised!
MA
Markymark
I heard Tom Edwards relate a story from the 80s, where someone turned up at Thames, and asked to see an announcer.
Tom was available, and he went to reception to see them, where he was promptly smacked in the gob because Thames had rescheduled Falcon Crest (I think ?) to a different time slot
CO
commseng
There was another incident at BH in the 1980s.
A little old lady appeared and asked the commisionare to see "Mr Ferguson".
He pointed her to the receptions desk as he didn't know who that was.

With that she shouted that she had been living near a transmitter (Droitwich I think) and the radio waves had made her go funny.
She then pulled a gun out her handbag and shot the commisionare in the hand.
I think it was only a airgun so there was no serious injury.

When she was taken away it was discovered that Ferguson was the name on her radio.

Every full moon was marked on the calendar at BH reception - as there were always more incidents on those days.
DE88 and Inspector Sands gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
It may come as a bit of a surprise, but when I worked in Broadcasting House in the 80s and 90s, the switchboard took several bomb threats every day. Of which they were almost all false ones.

I suspect that many of those were for either LBH or TVC, and so it is not impossible that occasionally there would be one which had a more authentic ring to them than the usual crank ones.

So if there is any truth to these rumours whatsoever, then there may well have been some substance to them.

However, as you say, the entire thing is a moot point as the BBC never said that - so what is the story?

Well, that nobody in the Beeb would have gone "Noel won't do it, let's pretend it's a bomb", as was suggested. In the One Day In The Life Of Television book from 1988 one of the contributors is the Head of Security at BBC Belfast, whose diary for the day is a long list of security checks, suspicious vehicles and bomb scares, at one point being told that they'd been phoned up to warn them of a bomb but he was pretty certain it was a hoax and didn't evacuate the building, suggesting that kind of thing happened most days.

Obviously, glad everyone involved at Thames Euston got away with no injuries from what could be a far nastier incident, but was David Frost even working for Thames at the time - or did the purputrator end up going to completly the wrong London franchise?

As the story briefly mentions, she was convinced that Eamonn Andrews was in on the whole thing as well.

I heard Tom Edwards relate a story from the 80s, where someone turned up at Thames, and asked to see an announcer.
Tom was available, and he went to reception to see them, where he was promptly smacked in the gob because Thames had rescheduled Falcon Crest (I think ?) to a different time slot

There's a story in Peter Sissons' autobiography about when he was at ITN and was told George Harrison was in reception, an old friend of his from school of course. He was with a group of hare krishnas and George told him he had a big story which had to go on News at Ten that night, and when Sissons asked what it was, he said "Peace!", and then walked out again.

It's worth remembering out how quickly things must have moved within those 55 minutes to go from just delaying the show, to the show not happening, to having Noel in the broom cupboard to (sort of) explain things. That they managed the latter shows some remarkably quick thinking to try and shore up one of the Beeb's biggest shows not airing. Though it is curious the nominated standby was a Christmas special...yes it's still Noel, but not entirely seasonal as he alludes to in the NC1 link. I guess it wasn't entirely unusual at this point. There were however no House Party compilations to use at this point - it is likely they would have used these had it happened from the following series. And of course they did, in January 1998, though they had a little more notice that time.

Yes, and of course it was the Christmas Presents from 1991, because 1992 was the one year of the nineties when Noel didn't do a Christmas Presents show, with the House Party live on Boxing Day instead. I know that it used to be the case, probably still is, that every live show would have a standby scheduled in case it couldn't go out for whatever reason, as near enough to the actual show as possible, and presumably that was the most convenient pre-recorded Noel show available. I seem to remember Inspector Sands of this parish saying there was one standby show which was faithfully scheduled and laced up ready to go dozens of times, for months and months on end, and when they finally had to broadcast it, it wouldn't work because it had been standing by on pause for so long, the tape had been damaged.

There's an interesting comment under that video which suggests that one reason why they never did the show in the end was because there was obviously an audience who all had to be evacuated, and by the time they had the all-clear, most of them had already long since gone home. Certainly House Party was such a big show for the Beeb at that time they'd have happily cleared the schedules for it whenever they were able to do it - and they had a lot of time, it was on at six o'clock that week - so clearly it was just impossible in the end.
DE88, UKnews and Inspector Sands gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
In the One Day In The Life Of Television book from 1988 one of the contributors is the Head of Security at BBC Belfast, whose diary for the day is a long list of security checks, suspicious vehicles and bomb scares, at one point being told that they'd been phoned up to warn them of a bomb but he was pretty certain it was a hoax and didn't evacuate the building, suggesting that kind of thing happened most days.

I assume they wouldn't act unless it was a coded bomb warning.
CO
commseng
I'm sure that those who dealt with it on a regular basis had many ways to verfiy what would be a serious threat, and which wouldn't.
Coded warnings being a very obvious one, but there would also be a general threat level - why would someone attack a place?
The BBC could be a target (seen as the voice of Britain), but usually was not, Thames is a less likely one, unless you bear a personal grudge.
Back in 1988 the BBC Belfast Head of Security must have been a very repatiative and often boring job, despite the troubles.

Newer posts