The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
Chris must be praying that no one comes after him now, in this #MeToo era.....

Is it really that hard to think before you write something so awful?
BF
BFGArmy
No sympathy for CNN here and Chris. The optics are terrible - they saw it as fine for Chris to have his own brother on for softball interviews with comedy cotton buds and ‘hard hitting’ questions like “Who does mum like best?” but now suddenly ‘conflict of interest’ matters on Chris’s show when Andrew gets bad press. Even more damning when Chris’s gimmick seems to be treating himself as the US Paxman who will challenge wrongdoing when he sees it yet he made such an obvious faux-pas interviewing his own brother in pretty lightweight chats.

Hopefully at the least Chris learns some humility from this whole episode - even ignoring the interviews with his brother he is particularly bad for being sanctimonious and very ‘me,me,me’.

At the time too CNN’s coverage of Andrew Cuomo did verge more on the cheerleading end of the spectrum even outside Chris’s show and I didn’t find it particularly sat well with me.

CNN to their credit do sound like they’ve covered the Andrew Cuomo story a fair bit but they can only blame themselves if people use the Cuomo interviews to bash CNN in the future.
Jeffmister, AJB39 and ginnyfan gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
The interviews between the two Cuomo's were always cringeworthy. It showed bad editorial judgement to allow them to happen, but I think they wanted them to go viral on social media.
BF
BFGArmy
The interviews between the two Cuomo's were always cringeworthy. It showed bad editorial judgement to allow them to happen, but I think they wanted them to go viral on social media.

In which case CNN got what it wanted, I just hope briefly trending was worth the big hit on their credibility that has come from it.
Surely there must have been some at CNN who were raising eyebrows at the time and not best pleased by the obvious conflict of interest (especially when it came to the now infamous comedy earbuds).
Jeffmister, AJB39 and London Lite gave kudos
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
I think this is a good example of why all main media outlets need to be regulated to prevent just such a thing happening IMHO.
JO
Jon

I don’t really see the problem with it per se, at least in context of US media landscape. Everyone watching those interviews is going to be fully aware of the relationship and the fact it’s a different dynamic to a normal interview of a politician.

The show in of itself is basically built on ‘Cuomo dynasty’ brand. So the conflict of interest is there but it’s so transparent I don’t feel it was doing any disservice to the viewer and it’s not like they’re trying to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes. It would’ve have been mad not to try and get his brother on the programmes.

And obviously the current issues and stating why he can’t address those issues any further, is also the right thing to do.

Of course if this scandal proves to be the end for Andrew Cuomo’s career, it probably will ultimately make Chris Cuomo a much less valuable commodity too.
LivefromORL, Newsroom and BBI45 gave kudos
LO
LivefromORL
I don’t think Cuomo should cover the story himself; however I also don’t think “Prime Time” viewers should be deprived from coverage during the show. CNN could very easily bring in a “news reader” to run a segment about the allegations. Keeps Chris’s hands clean and the viewer informed.
OM
Omnipresent
Newsnight did something similar during the Savile affair when they brought in a BBC reporter from outside the team to present a recorded report on it.
BB
BBI45
Newsnight did something similar during the Savile affair when they brought in a BBC reporter from outside the team to present a recorded report on it.

NZ
nznewser
Warner Media CEO in hot water after saying at a virtual tech conference that the pandemic is great for CNN's ratings.

While I have no doubt this is true, perhaps he could have phrased things a bit differently!

https://www.mediaite.com/news/ceo-of-warnermedia-parent-company-of-cnn-apologizes-after-saying-pandemic-is-really-good-for-ratings/?xnl
JO
Jonwo
Warner Media CEO in hot water after saying at a virtual tech conference that the pandemic is great for CNN's ratings.

While I have no doubt this is true, perhaps he could have phrased things a bit differently!

https://www.mediaite.com/news/ceo-of-warnermedia-parent-company-of-cnn-apologizes-after-saying-pandemic-is-really-good-for-ratings/?xnl

At least he apologised, a case of not engaging brain before speaking.
GI
ginnyfan
Started following him on Twitter recently and he seems to be a really great guy who really loves Warner Bros studio and its history. As for this ''incident'', he just stated a fact, which can be dangerous in this cancel culture PC crazy era. Rolling Eyes Hope he's not fired for it.

Newer posts