The Gallery

GMB Slight Graphic Tweak

Something What I Made and Never Posted (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Since everybody else is putting up mocks they made and haven't released, I'm going to put this here.

Last summer I had an idea, which I'd had for a while. So I made it. And then never posted it. Now I've found it again and thought I'd put it here.

I basically took a Good Morning Britain screenshot, painted out the clock, moved the ITV News logo from the ticker under the GMB shape, lightened up the GMB text, and then took the analogue clock from a Télématin logo/slide somewhere and stuck it on top of the GMB bug, resizing it as appropriate.

Think I never posted it because I wasn't 100% happy with it. But its a proof of concept if nothing else. The ITV News tag could change with the contents of the ticker so Entertainment or whatever. I suppose if I'd thought about it I could have chopped out the bottom left of the GMB bug so it lines up with the clock.

So I can now say I have contributed to the gallery in both ways.
TV
TVViewer256
It's certainly an interesting take. However, I definitely don't think it's something that could be used on-air - it just doesn't look professional, especially with the analogue clock.
NJ
It's certainly an interesting take. However, I definitely don't think it's something that could be used on-air - it just doesn't look professional, especially with the analogue clock.

I would respectfully argue analogue clocks were mainstream on breakfast TV in the 1980s and 1990s, largely dropped because of the screen space they can take up. However by sticking them on top of something else that's already there, that solves the screen space issue (and of course one could vary the thickness of the hands, the border, etc). I didn't do that here as I just reused the one from the Télématin logo. Perhaps making things less thick could work better.

Anyway this just shows why I don't mock. Smile Would be surprised if this gets more than two stars once all's said and done. Better to have tried and failed than not to try at all Very Happy
TV
TVViewer256

I would respectfully argue analogue clocks were mainstream on breakfast TV in the 1980s and 1990s, largely dropped because of the screen space they can take up. However by sticking them on top of something else that's already there, that solves the screen space issue (and of course one could vary the thickness of the hands, the border, etc). I didn't do that here as I just reused the one from the Télématin logo. Perhaps making things less thick could work better.

Anyway this just shows why I don't mock. Smile Would be surprised if this gets more than two stars once all's said and done. Better to have tried and failed than not to try at all Very Happy

Yes - they certainly worked back in the 1980s and 1990s and these graphics would certainly work back then - I think though they're too 'old' compared to the modern graphics on TV at these times. If you really wanted to keep the clock you could shift the 'ITV News' and flipper along a bit, make the GMB logo in a box (literally have an orange box and use Gilroy to write 'Good Morning Britain' and keep the clock where it is (removing the GMB logo currently there), but I'm still not sure it would work.
BR
Brekkie
I think the idea works - take the text out of the clock and just have a #GMB hashtag below instead, and simplify the clock, dropping the border and perhaps making the hands and clockface thiner and white and I think you get away with it. I think the GMB blob itself is now recogniseable enough not to need "Good Morning Britain" spelt out.
NJ
Right, I've come back to this. Found a clock generator online, customised it slightly and replaced the Télématin sourced clock for something a bit cleaner, and for this image hands a bit further apart at 7:15 which is probably what I should have done in the first place:

Very fine line I found between hands that are too thin and hands that are too thick. This might be too thin. If its too thick it looks too 60s, if its too thin its hard to see.
RI
richard110888
Right, I've come back to this. Found a clock generator online, customised it slightly and replaced the Télématin sourced clock for something a bit cleaner, and for this image hands a bit further apart at 7:15 which is probably what I should have done in the first place:

Very fine line I found between hands that are too thin and hands that are too thick. This might be too thin. If its too thick it looks too 60s, if its too thin its hard to see.

I think that looks a lot nicer than the first version. Works well with the shape of the GMB logo too
JO
Jon

I would respectfully argue analogue clocks were mainstream on breakfast TV in the 1980s and 1990s, largely dropped because of the screen space they can take up.

I’m not really sure screen space was the issue. I’m sure it’s more a practical and stylistic choice. Ultimately digital clocks are just easier to quickly read to get an accurate time check and these days it matches most of the other clocks people will be seeing each day. They look smarter too.
However by sticking them on top of something else that's already there, that solves the screen space issue (and of course one could vary the thickness of the hands, the border, etc).

It might solve that issue but then you’re covering up the branding which is also doing a job.

Newer posts