TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
I think some of their information was provided by people who weren’t fully aware of which regions did breakfast opts and which didn’t (and still don’t). Yes, Oxford and Southampton, CI and Plymouth and Cambridge and Norwich all shared breakfast output then (and continue to do so). Hull/Leeds have had a mixture of shared and separate breakfast output over the years I believe (is it currently shared because of COVID?). I can’t remember if this was pre centralised coding or not. The theory about one half of a router going down is quite plausible and so the decision was to buddy up relatively sensibly to achieve some opts from roughly the right part of the country rather than ditch the opts all together.
JO
Joe
I think one silly thing was naming the cities that the broadcast was coming from. Yes, it was correct, but I’ll bet many casual viewers have no idea where their programme comes from.
BH
BillyH Founding member
It reminds me of the time in 2001 when Carlton London viewers got Central News South one afternoon instead, I think I mentioned it at some point earlier on in the thread. Wondering if that was a similar issue.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

Given that it's usually the other way around (during Spotlight) where the CI's opt from Plymouth, having the 'satellite' providing the service to the much larger 'mothership' I can't help thinking that is more improvisation, rather than a nominated plan in case of meltdown.

You would think if Plymouth couldn’t opt that Bristol would be the fallback, same with South East/London. I know Points West has filled in for Spotlight on occasions where they haven’t been able to broadcast due to power issues and such.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I did think it was only the newer/sub opt regions effected such as Cambridge, Tunbridge Wells etc, but then Manchester were effected.

Leeds getting Hull rather than the opposite way round wouldn’t be what you’d expect either (they share all the time at Breakfast these days but they didn’t back then)
IT
itvblocks
In light of this website closing down, this is a tribute to my first ever post on this forum, which was on this very thread!

Here is another version of "The Time The Place" protest, not really anything different about this one (apart from the better quality Laughing) other than a lady announcer apologising over the programme's logo.

"That's The Time and the Place, in just a moment" or maybe not as they cut to a caption. (and a completely different announcer!)

SP
Steve in Pudsey
Going back to the Breakfast opts mix up, I think a few regions still had analogue by this point, and they weren't fed centrally just to add to the confusion. I'm sure it was discussed here at length at the time but I can't find those posts.
TI
TIGHazard
Going back to the Breakfast opts mix up, I think a few regions still had analogue by this point, and they weren't fed centrally just to add to the confusion. I'm sure it was discussed here at length at the time but I can't find those posts.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't discussed here. But like you I can't find those posts. I even narrowed down Googles search to the 1st March 2012 to the 4th March and nothing shows up.
SC
Si-Co
In light of this website closing down, this is a tribute to my first ever post on this forum, which was on this very thread!

Here is another version of "The Time The Place" protest, not really anything different about this one (apart from the better quality Laughing) other than a lady announcer apologising over the programme's logo.

"That's The Time and the Place, in just a moment" or maybe not as they cut to a caption. (and a completely different announcer!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO0XyVDSQkY

So where were these announcements coming from, and were they networked?

I’m assuming the female announcer is the local one for the region this was recorded from? I vaguely remember seeing this on Tyne Tees and I don’t think there was any voice-over the TTTP caption. It’s a long time ago though - I could be totally wrong.

The male announcer over the TM slide is possibly Granada, as everything from 0925 to the end of TM used to be routed through Quay Street.
MA
Markymark
Si-Co posted:

I’m assuming the female announcer is the local one for the region this was recorded from? I vaguely remember seeing this on Tyne Tees and I don’t think there was any voice-over the TTTP caption. It’s a long time ago though - I could be totally wrong.

The male announcer over the TM slide is possibly Granada, as everything from 0925 to the end of TM used to be routed through Quay Street.

I suspect the female voice was Granada's (or possibly Central's) duty announcer, and was heard nationally. The male voice sounds like Mark Liscombe, who was a Carlton London announcer back then. I suspect that recording is from the London area, and the regions had gone back to local continuity to fill the gap. (As was standard procedure I think ?)
Anglialad and itvblocks gave kudos
WH
WrekinHavoc
Si-Co posted:

Yes, the female announcer will be the local one from the region in which the recording was made.
The male announcer is Mark Lipscomb at Carlton in London.
WH
WrekinHavoc
Si-Co posted:

Yes, the female announcer will be the local one from the region in which the recording was made.
The male announcer is Mark Lipscomb at Carlton in London. His announcement would have been networked from London to the regions as the programme would have been routed via LNN in London.
Anglialad and itvblocks gave kudos

Newer posts