TV Home Forum

The Duke of Edinburgh

BBC Scotland cut to obit?

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
It seems BBC Scotland accidentally cut to an obit package (being edited?) of his Royal Highness, during a Parliamentary hearing.

Last edited by Gavin Scott on 3 March 2021 11:51pm
paul_hadley and LondonViewer gave kudos
JO
Josh
That breakdown slide is atrocious.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
I'm posting a presentation error, champ. I'm not actually interested in the health of some old geezer.
BR
Brekkie
I'd say he's safe for another month given todays news.

For a history lesson on what might unfold how the Queen Mothers death was covered is quite interesting:
paul_hadley, Roger Darthwell and London Lite gave kudos
JO
Jon
Why not just re-open my thread, Gavin, which was locked as you recall...

I have no idea who you are.

https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/prince-philip-duke-edinburgh-hospital-46686

Whoever you are, how can he unlock your thread when he isn’t a mod?

Anyway this is a more interesting separate development.

I do wonder if they’d try to hold off any announcement until Sunday or even Monday, to take the attention off the Meghan and Harry interview and possibly stop it airing in the UK?
Last edited by Jon on 4 March 2021 1:34am
GE
thegeek Founding member
It seems BBC Scotland accidentally cut to an obit package (being edited?) of his Royal Highness, during a Parliamentary hearing.

It would appear to be the output of an edit suite, hence the footage jumping around a bit.

Knowing BBC Scotland's control system, it can be quite easy to accidentally route something to where it shouldn't be. (I may have knocked BBC Parliament off air in similar circumstances once). I'm more surprised it took the announcer/director so long to react.

I hope they fix the aspect ratio of that piece before it's transmitted in anger.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Could it have been a switching error downstream of pres perhaps? That might explain the announcer/director not reacting if it was "alright leaving me"?
IS
Inspector Sands
Could it have been a switching error downstream of pres perhaps? That might explain the announcer/director not reacting if it was "alright leaving me"?

If that was the case then why the breakdown slide? Pres wouldn't have cut that up if they thought it was OK leaving them, when any downstream switching was restored it would have gone back to the correct content.

Also it's very unlikely for there to be an edit suite available in the chain downstream of a playout suite. Not impossible but very difficult to do.

It'll either be the circuit that's carrying the coverage into pres being changed, or the playout suite changing source its taking to air.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
True enough. Would the breakdown loop be a source available on the station router for emergency use if pres failed?

Potentially if the CTA or equivalent were getting alarms because output had gone to black and silence their first reaction might be too route the emergency loop to air as a safe source while they sort out the problem?
GE
thegeek Founding member
I think so - ISTR the TX output chains are fed from the main router, so you can route anything you like to them. It's how, for example, the BBC One Scotland playout suite is taken in and out of circuit. The breakdown loop is another source, so yes, if you're stuck you can ask CTA to route it to coding & mux.
ST
steddenm
The rail operator TransPennine Express made a boo boo too!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/transpennine-express-respond-after-major-19969226
VM
VMPhil
Tonight's episode of Harry Hill's new BBC Two show has been delayed because Prince Philip is still in hospital...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6245/harry-hill-queen-episode-postponed/

This explains why the BBC site was only listing three episodes even though it said it was a four-part series.

Newer posts