TV Home Forum

…and finally

News about TV Forum (March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PA
paul_hadley
It’s gutting to hear this but I fully appreciate the reasons behind it. Thank you for keeping things going for all of these years. TV Forum is still one of those rare sites I visit every day.
DE88, Asa and Juicy Joe gave kudos
CN
CN
Huge thanks to Asa for running this site for the past 20 years and the leadership of a whole community of people interested in TV Presentation.

I’ve such fond memories as a teenager endlessly on the forum for the BBC 2 new look in Nov 2001 and then the end of the BBC ONE balloon the following Easter and the fuss over Peter Siddons’ tie. It was over that event that I unknowingly got talking to a fellow forumer in school one day and realised we were both on the forum. We very quickly became best mates and that has endured ever since - even recently had the honour of being best man at his wedding. I feel I’ve almost 20 years of friendship to thank this forum for (and of course Martin Lambie-Nairn)!

As LWT gave way to ITV1, Trish said “It’s been many years Glen”. On reading this thread, it’s equally felt like an end of an era. I don’t post often but still regularly visit. So great to see so many familiar names still posting and while we don’t know each other personally, the familiarity of an online community has been a warm constant in the background all of these years. Thanks everyone.
IT
itvblocks
"Look your last now, because the face of the TV Forum is changing forever...as of the end of March."

I'm not going to lie, I am shocked, surprised and saddened about the decision to close down the forum, but I completely understand your reasoning, Asa.

For the short time that I've been here, being a member of this forum has been a blast.

I joined this website two years and ten months ago just to post a video on a newly created "TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread" of a protest that happened on "The Time The Place" back in 1995, in good ol' 144p.

I've thought I would only make a few posts here and there, but I've been quite active on here since, wherever it was posting a new clip onto the breakdown thread, or having a conversation about who a singer might be on a Masked Singer thread, I have enjoyed my time here and I thank everybody else here for creating such an enjoyable experience.

I've looked back at some old threads on here in the past and this website has definitely had some history, it's incredible how a lot of those users who were involved in those older threads 15-20 years ago are still here and active on this site today.

My most kudoed post on here was me sharing my "coming out story" when Phillip Schofield came out as gay on national television, the support I and a lot of people got for sharing their stories was nothing short of amazing, easily my proudest moment on this forum. (You can find that post on my profile, if the ability to view profiles is gone by the time this forum closes, it's on the locked "This Morning" thread along with many other, amazing stories from p.148 onwards)

And of course, how could I forget thanking you, Asa, this forum was a great place for discussing all things TV presentation, from what I've heard on this thread, you've throughout the years "thrown the kitchen sink" at making sure this website performs to the best of its ability.

Sure, most of us say that in the past, we've had our disagreements, but every time I look at this website, I look at a welcoming place where we're all just talking about an event that's just happened, a new ident, breakdowns or some absolute rubbish that's on the telly! Laughing

Anyways, this post has gone on for long enough, it's been great fun here and I'm going to miss sharing a new/old breakdown clip or rambling on with others about a new Masked Singer episode.

If this forum does find a new home, I'll be sure to meet you all there, but for now, I'm going to live every last minute of this website along with everybody else here.

Thank you for the memories, everyone and Asa.
CO
commseng
As ever it is such a shame when something that we've all come to know so well comes to an end, and I can only echo what almost everone else has already said. Thanks Asa, and thanks to all the other mods on here too. I am sure keeping the multiple threads on topic and stopping the fights breaking out has been far more work than any of us posting on here can imagine.

I hope the meandering posts that I've put on here haven't wandered too far from what was under discussion, but when the memory is triggered, and others have added their recollection of events at the time, there can be quite a fascinating chat to be had.

I have to confess that there have been many times when I've had this forum open when live on air, just incase someone spots an issue that we haven't - there are now so many different places that our output ends up, that it is impossible to monitor everything at all times. Thanks to all those that have mentioned things that we'd missed at first!

Good to hear that we still have another month to enjoy ourselves on here, and wonderful that this will remain as an archive, and that there may be a new forum in the pipeline.
Thanks again Asa.
PA
paul_hadley
Will the TV Home ident recordings continue?
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
I first logged on here - on day 1 - via Nescape when I briefly worked for Scottish Equitable and discovered the hidden icons on my OS/2 desktop to launch a browser.

NONE OF THOSE THINGS EXIST ANYMORE.

Kudos, Asa. It was quite the adventure.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
This wasn't something I was expecting.

Thank you ever so much for all your hard work over the last 20 years and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

This forum will be missed by many but I'm sure that the TV Live Forum (or any alternative that may come out on top) will continue the lovely spirit of this site.

I for one will miss the look and feel of this site and any worthy successor would be foolish not to copy elements from this site.

Once again thanks for everything.
DB
dbl
A favourite moment
DialUpBorg posted:

MrTomServo posted:

On a separate, more personal note, as a moderator, I tend to be a lazy, surly, asshole of an American. I eat ten cheeseburgers a day and fart George W Bush bumper stickers. I ignore all the problems the forum has, and I never ban anyone that should be banned. I ignore blatant violations of the T&Cs when long-standing members are concerned. I am -- in fact -- a virgin. I'm biased, and I don't care. For all intents and purposes, I am incompetent. Since I was elected, I have done nothing but purposefully hasten the eventual downfall of this forum. I have a stick up my arse, but yet am not tough enough on the bad apples. And, perhaps most importantly, I am in the wrong time zone.

Welcome to the thankless job of forum moderation. Hopefully now you can at least appreciate why I ignore you.

Sorry to be off-topic but.. You eat 10 burgers a day. Bl**dy Hell! Shocked

BR
Brekkie
Johnr posted:
I am glad you are simply archiving the existing content rather than doing a Digital Spy and selling the site to the highest bidder, I had some golden years over there too until that happened

The archive is so valuable, not just for presentation content or to see how the news dealt with big events, but to also see how we as members felt at moments in history too.

Will we get repeat fees? Wink
DA
dafydd
Many thanks to Asa for running the site for so long. Having hosted and moderated forums in the past, I know it is mostly a thankless task! I've visited the site most days to have a look at the topics being discussed, particularly in the last year, even if I wasn't posting that much. I always valued this site as a clued up and techie version of dspy.

I hope to see everyone in a 'new place' soon.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
I don't think there's much I can add that hasn't already been said - I must have visited this site pretty much every day since the beginning almost exactly 20 years ago (apart from the time of the Great Forum Crash at the start of 2003, which coincided with my own computer crashing, leaving me internet-less for nearly a month!), so I will simply echo the thoughts of everyone else and say that I am sorry to see it go.
FU
fusionlad Founding member
I remember discovering TV Forum around 9/11.
I used to participate a lot more and remember checking constantly to see if there were any new posts.

Life moved on but this site is somewhere I still check every single day to see what is going on in the world of presentation.

I can't remember the reasoning behind it so much but remember posting a similar picture to below which seemed to go down well at the time...

Thanks Asa.

Newer posts