The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
I’m unsure if I’ve seen Ed Conway before. Is he usually that animated? Coupled with the stedicam I felt like I was watching a comedy send up of the news for some reason.

Yeah. Watch the last US or UK election for more animated Ed.
JA
jay Founding member
Interesting use of diagonals..
JW
JamesWorldNews
Sturgeon Inquiry: former BBC Editor Brian Taylor (Scotland Politics) is being interviewed by Niall Paterson now. Possibly by Skype. The worst DTL(?) quality I’ve ever seen. Sound is fine. Picture is horrible.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Sky News International (online) is showing the Holyrood play out of the Sturgeon committee hearing. It’s refreshing to see a screen with zero clutter, aside from a small Sky News logo bottom right. Far less distraction on screen.

Watching the Salmond hearing last Friday, as well as the Sky logo, they also had an “on delay” caption constantly on screen. But not so today.

Wonder why.

What’s the UK version showing?
UN
Universal_r

What’s the UK version showing?

It’s showing the budget.
The international version is also showing the budget but sky news also have a live stream on their YouTube for the sturgeon evidence.
LH
lhx1985
Would assume that the delay was introduced in case any of the evidence would compromise the legally required anonymity of the complainants against the former First Minister.

That was why redactions had to me made to the evidence published online.

Presumably Sky wouldnt like to find itself in contempt of court.
UN
Universal_r
Would assume that the delay was introduced in case any of the evidence would compromise the legally required anonymity of the complainants against the former First Minister.

I thought the delay was strange as well as bbc news and parliament didn’t have one or at-least they didn’t say they had one.
BR
Brekkie

Wouldn't Holyrood come under the same exemptions as in the House of Commons with the equivalent of the Parliamentary Privelege to name those who otherwise remain anonymous?
CW
CraigWills
From a presentation point today, Sky are juggling the Scottish inquiry with The Budget coverage. Adam Boulton has led coverage since 10am.
10am-12pm was changed to “Sky News with Adam Boulton” rather last minute. “PMQs” was scheduled 12-12:30 & “The Budget” is down on the EPG from 12:30-17:00. It’s a little bit messed up as Sky didn’t show PMQs on the main channel, then they did show the Budget live and have some reaction afterwards; Sam Coates in the Westminster Studio with Adam, Sarah Hewson on location in West Sussex & Ed Conway in the Glass Box. But since 2:30 they’ve been showing the Scottish Inquiry live once more but the EPG has down The Budget still.

I get these are all live events, but I think they could have done a better job of managing what the EPG says. Anyone who may have recorded a budget programme is actually getting a lot more Nicola Sturgeon than expected, likewise anyone who tapes PMQs!
SL
Shaun Linden

Wouldn't Holyrood come under the same exemptions as in the House of Commons with the equivalent of the Parliamentary Privelege to name those who otherwise remain anonymous?

Holyrood may well but that doesn't mean you can go ahead and broadcast names of those making allegations of the nature claimed.
SO
Soupnzi
From a presentation point today, Sky are juggling the Scottish inquiry with The Budget coverage. Adam Boulton has led coverage since 10am.
10am-12pm was changed to “Sky News with Adam Boulton” rather last minute. “PMQs” was scheduled 12-12:30 & “The Budget” is down on the EPG from 12:30-17:00. It’s a little bit messed up as Sky didn’t show PMQs on the main channel, then they did show the Budget live and have some reaction afterwards; Sam Coates in the Westminster Studio with Adam, Sarah Hewson on location in West Sussex & Ed Conway in the Glass Box. But since 2:30 they’ve been showing the Scottish Inquiry live once more but the EPG has down The Budget still.

I get these are all live events, but I think they could have done a better job of managing what the EPG says. Anyone who may have recorded a budget programme is actually getting a lot more Nicola Sturgeon than expected, likewise anyone who tapes PMQs!

I just can’t imagine many people would record Sky News tbh; if you wanted to watch back the Budget later surely most people would seek it out On Demand somewhere.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

I just can’t imagine many people would record Sky News tbh; if you wanted to watch back the Budget later surely most people would seek it out On Demand somewhere.

The late Sir Bruce Forsyth used to tape PMQs, and described it as "pure vaudeville".

Newer posts