TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BK
bkman1990
Will RTE have a chance to gain some Europa League games for their viewers along with the Champions League?
RO
rob Founding member
Ian St. John, one half of Saint and Greavsie, has died aged 82.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/12233291/liverpool-legend-ian-st-john-dies-aged-82
DE88, harshy and Ste gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
RIP Saint.

Not-to-be-missed Saturday lunchtime viewing for many of us back in the day.
DE88, Brekkie and Ste gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Saint & Greavsie was quite interesting presentation wise because it adopted probably one of the greatest TV themes ever, Aztec Gold, which was introduced to ITV for the 1986 Mexican World Cup. A couple of other shows used it too, but once they dropped it everywhere else, the theme remained on Saint & Greavsie until 1992.

They did release a DVD Game in 2006 which reused the titles from the best known era of the show (the later one, naturally), and it looks like they went to great lengths to match the original show, with a similar looking set, the same music and obviously the same presenters, although Jimmy Greaves didn't seem to age as gracefully as Ian St John:
MA
Markymark
RIP Saint.

Indeed it was, and I wasn't even that interested in football !

RIP
DE88 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
RO
robertclark125
Ian st. John later also co presented a Saturday lunchtime football show on radio city, until he retired in 2018.
LL
London Lite Founding member
RIP Saint.

Indeed it was, and I wasn't even that interested in football !

RIP

Same here, but I watched it for the chemistry between the two presenters.
DE88, fusionlad and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
CM
cmthwtv
Would anyone have an idea as to whether we will see any on location Super Sunday matches for the remainder of this season? I would be surprised if Sky didn't go on location for the final matches when fans should be able to return (albeit for just a week)
UL
ulsterman92
Women's Rugby World Cup is set to be postponed to 2022,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56257270
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Very unusual Match of the Day last night, which was on quite late after Question Time, perhaps it might have been done like this during some other midweeks this season as well but I haven't seen it before. No studio and no analysis, with just a linking voiceover from Gabby Logan that was obviously done when she was in for Wednesday night's programme as the closing league table was done by Guy Mowbray who was commentating on the Everton game.
BR
Brekkie
Where did this weeks games come from - none were listed in the TV mags when I checked.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Where did this weeks games come from - none were listed in the TV mags when I checked.

There were seven midweek matches including three last night but these were all games either previously postponed or moved by the next round of the FA Cup. They were only announced on 20th Feb which is probably why they might not've been in listings.

Newer posts