TV Home Forum

BBC Three channel to return in January 2022

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TE
tellyblues
Like before, there won't be a large enough volume of new content to keep the channel fresh and it will end up a sorry state.

The press release mentions some shows that have been successful online but nothing is said about the vast majority of BBC3 content on the iPlayer that has failed to attract an audience.

It is mostly this type of content that will be commissioned, not expensive new dramas (although one or two will be), but if this content is not popular online then why will it be popular on linear TV? Factor in that there will be lots of repeats including young-skewing shows from BBC1, what is stopping BBC3 from being a failure again?
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Like before, there won't be a large enough volume of new content to keep the channel fresh and it will end up a sorry state.

The press release mentions some shows that have been successful online but nothing is said about the vast majority of BBC3 content on the iPlayer that has failed to attract an audience.

It is mostly this type of content that will be commissioned, not expensive new dramas (although one or two will be), but if this content is not popular online then why will it be popular on linear TV? Factor in that there will be lots of repeats including young-skewing shows from BBC1, what is stopping BBC3 from being a failure again?

I think it's a win win. They won't be producing many more programmes and the linear channel will be inexpensive. They'll get more viewers than if they were solely on iPlayer for barely any more money.
CA
Cando
Freaky Eaters better be returning too!
Spencer, itvblocks and Jonwo gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
Cando posted:
Freaky Eaters better be returning too!

I always loved how Harry Hill mercifully mocked it on TV Burp:

London Lite and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Wonder if the classics will return?. Don’t tell the bride, family guy, sun sex and suspicious parents, Eastenders omnibus

Don't Tell The Bride is now on it's 4th channel, and is running out of steam a little.... it won't be returning to BBC3
DE88, itvblocks and Ballyboy gave kudos
AS
Ash101
Wonder if the classics will return?. Don’t tell the bride, family guy, sun sex and suspicious parents, Eastenders omnibus

Don't Tell The Bride is now on it's 4th channel, and is running out of steam a little.... it won't be returning to BBC3

Odd one that, if I remember correctly, didn’t it end up on BBC One before it’d even aired a final Three series?

E4 does seem like a good home for it, even if they are now becoming swamped in “Love” shows to try and emulate ITV2’s success.
itvblocks and ulsterman92 gave kudos
TV
Tv2333

Odd one that, if I remember correctly, didn’t it end up on BBC One before it’d even aired a final Three series?

It's broadcast has been
BBC Three (2007-2014)
BBC One (2015)
Sky One (2016)
E4 (2017-Present)
TI
TIGHazard
I think it comes down to ensuring younger licence fee payers have direct access to a BBC television service without having to access the internet.

Obviously BBC Three Mark II is going to be more of a streamlined affair without the American Dad/Family Guy animation block used as a hook to the home grown commissions, but there's enough there to schedule an evening's worth of output.

I hope 60 Seconds also makes a return though.

I'm not sure if this is possible because of the E4 deal, but considering the BBC recently said they wanted more home-grown animation commissions for CBBC, if they need animation for BBC Three, co-produce something with Adult Swim?

Both Mighty Boosh and Look Around You ended up as acquisitions for them (along with Darkplace), so a British animation might work.
FA
fanoftv
The problem for BBC Three before was that it needed to show a very high amount of original programming, including news and documentaries when it launched... obviously this must have decreased over the years with the amount of family guy & American dad that was shown.

I have very fond memories of that launch lineup, there were some very good programmes on top of daily editions of liquid news and a thrice weekly Johnny Vaughan chat show.
UL
ulsterman92

It's broadcast has been
BBC Three (2007-2014)
BBC One (2015)
Sky One (2016)
E4 (2017-Present)

Ash101 is right, it went back to BBC Three for one final series at the end of 2015/start of 2016 before BBC Three closed and it moved to Sky One.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06qb2nh
Last edited by ulsterman92 on 2 March 2021 6:24pm
DE88, Ash101 and Tv2333 gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Looking through iPlayer - Newsbeat Documentaries would fit perfectly on BBC3.

As would the live lounge and The World's Most Extreme Festivals

I think a crossover between the two would be brilliant.
:-(
A former member
I hope they look to the likes of Netflix for successful commissioning ideas rather than here or the old BBC3. Expectations have changed since the channel was last around.

Newer posts