TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
Moz posted:
Sorry if I’m being thick, but how come they look so close on this...

But in reality they’re far apart...

Camera trickery - there is a faded join down the centre of the screen.

Yes - as Alfie says, the close shot is actually two camera angles/shots joined together. I believe Piers's looks at a camera slightly to his right, and Susanna looks at a camera slightly to her left. It's an impressive result when the two are joined together.

Oh yeah. I don’t watch so hadn’t noticed. But you can see here...

AN
Andrew Founding member
Yes there is every chance the ITV Lunchtime News might rate better at 12:30 than at 1:30, although it would still be facing the monster that is Bargain Hunt so how much it might increase is debatable.

But then at the same time it'd be quite likely that Loose Women might lose viewers, as it would break the momentum of back to back live magazines. For these viewers they may just disappear at 12:30 and not come back until later in the afternoon

It may also allow Steph's Packed Lunch to increase. I know most here hold news in the highest importance, but I bet many ITV daytime viewers see it as a turn off
MA
Meridian AM
Yes there is every chance the ITV Lunchtime News might rate better at 12:30 than at 1:30, although it would still be facing the monster that is Bargain Hunt so how much it might increase is debatable.

But then at the same time it'd be quite likely that Loose Women might lose viewers, as it would break the momentum of back to back live magazines. For these viewers they may just disappear at 12:30 and not come back until later in the afternoon

It may also allow Steph's Packed Lunch to increase. I know most here hold news in the highest importance, but I bet many ITV daytime viewers see it as a turn off

Yes, LW airs straight after TM for that reason - so not to lose the TM viewers, who are also the LW target demographic. The ad break between them is only 2 mins for a reason!
They wouldn't move News to 12.30, as the TM audience would likely switch off ITV and not come back at 1pm. They wouldn't get rid of their now established 'pass the baton' line up of live morning programmes from GMB, Lorraine, TM and LW.
Last edited by Meridian AM on 2 March 2021 4:59pm
JO
Jonwo

Only on TVForum would you have people wanting news to replace programmes that rate well.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Moz posted:
Sorry if I’m being thick, but how come they look so close on this...

But in reality they’re far apart...

Yes - as Alfie says, the close shot is actually two camera angles/shots joined together. I believe Piers's looks at a camera slightly to his right, and Susanna looks at a camera slightly to her left. It's an impressive result when the two are joined together.

Yeah. If you look very closely you see that the perspective of the backdrop changes ever so slightly along that line.
Ittr and TVViewer256 gave kudos
PE
Pete Founding member

Yeah. If you look very closely you see that the perspective of the backdrop changes ever so slightly along that line.

yes but... the question Phil asked is how do they get the background right. do the two cameras perfectly align with the backdrop, or do they change the backdrop for that shot to one with two copies of st pauls?
TV
TVViewer256
Pete posted:

yes but... the question Phil asked is how do they get the background right. do the two cameras perfectly align with the backdrop, or do they change the backdrop for that shot to one with two copies of st pauls?

One camera is angled slightly so Piers has to face slightly to his right. The same with Susanna but she has to face slightly to her left. This means that Piers's half of St. Pauls (or wherever the middle of the backdrop is) is at the edge of his shot, and the other half is at the edge of Susanna's shot. Join these together, and it looks like they're sitting next to each other. The backdrop stays the same (as far as I can see).
Live066, Pete and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Pete posted:

One camera is angled slightly so Piers has to face slightly to his right. The same with Susanna but she has to face slightly to her left. This means that Piers's half of St. Pauls (or wherever the middle of the backdrop is) is at the edge of his shot, and the other half is at the edge of Susanna's shot. Join these together, and it looks like they're sitting next to each other. The backdrop stays the same (as far as I can see).

If the backdrop did change it would also be slightly delayed and would look odd transitioning from a wide to close-up shot
DW
DavidWhitfield

One camera is angled slightly so Piers has to face slightly to his right. The same with Susanna but she has to face slightly to her left. This means that Piers's half of St. Pauls (or wherever the middle of the backdrop is) is at the edge of his shot, and the other half is at the edge of Susanna's shot. Join these together, and it looks like they're sitting next to each other.

It's a great effect. As critical as I am about the show's style, I will happily concede that this is really impressively done. Unless you are really looking for it, which, let's face it, no casual viewer would, you can't see anything to suggest that the presenters are not really sitting side by side. Really well executed.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 3 March 2021 3:03pm
BBI45 and TVViewer256 gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Hmmmmm.....

CraigWills and Brekkie gave kudos
SL
Shaun Linden
Andrew and Pierce are usually together to go through newspaper stories, Andrew Neil is a good contributor and ITV Royal Editor Chris Ship for balance.
TVViewer256 and alexjac0788 gave kudos
AL
alexjac0788
Hmmmmm.....

Typical Twitter...

Newer posts