Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm assuming that's Hammersmith tube station in the background (the Piccadilly/Central line one, as the Circle/Hammersmith & City line one is a terminus]

Yes the building site they're on is now the big shopping centre/office/bus station/tube station in the middle of the big roundabout. That was built above the Piccadilly/District Line station which you can see the roof of behind them (the Central Line has never gone there)

just came across this spin-off thread that seems to explains it somewhat.

Yeah I assumed it was some sort of test for the ones that ended up there. Nice to know where exactly it was, also interesting to see the station during redevelopment... there's obviously a temporary walkway there to the platforms

Wonder what they're standing on, looks a bit hairy having your two stars standing on something behind a temporary test window.
MW
Mike W
I'm assuming that's Hammersmith tube station in the background (the Piccadilly/Central line one, as the Circle/Hammersmith & City line one is a terminus]

Yes the building site they're on is now the big shopping centre/office/bus station/tube station in the middle of the big roundabout. That was built above the Piccadilly/District Line station which you can see the roof of behind them (the Central Line has never gone there)

just came across this spin-off thread that seems to explains it somewhat.

Yeah I assumed it was some sort of test for the ones that ended up there. Nice to know where exactly it was, also interesting to see the station during redevelopment... there's obviously a temporary walkway there to the platforms

Wonder what they're standing on, looks a bit hairy having your two stars standing on something behind a temporary test window.

The photo looks towards King Street and far distance would be the H&C/Circle (formerly Met Line) station, with Hammersmith Broadway and the D&P station to the right.

I don't recall the blue plaque still being there last time I walked past it; will have a look tomorrow.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4918494,-0.2247805,3a,18.2y,358.64h,90.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdNftBv0TrGPXArQDvGZwGg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
JA
james-2001
I don't recall the blue plaque still being there last time I walked past it; will have a look tomorrow.

To be honest, it looks like it was made out of cardboard, it was probably only there a few weeks.

I did mean District line, I don't know why I put central! I have passed through that station several times on the way to/from Heathrow (which also makes me smile at Hatton Cross's username).
DE88 and Hatton Cross gave kudos
MW
Mike W
If you look at the StreetView link and change the date to August 2014 you'll see the plaque (what's left of it anyway) and the floral tributes left there after Myall died.
IN
Interceptor

Crew having a laugh on the set of Supermarket Sweep, presumably just before the set was removed to make way for Crossroads.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXg_dzDYXTY

Crew having a laugh on the set of Supermarket Sweep, presumably just before the set was removed to make way for Crossroads.

Plausible. The table on Wiki suggests Series 7 of Sweep (c. 80 episodes) started airing in May 2000, and was then burnt off slowly over the next 16 months for whatever reason. Crossroads for everything that was tooted about it's replacing Home & Away on ITV wasn't given the okay to go ahead with production until the end of August 2000 and after taking over IIRC two studios and most of the exterior for the set, filming didn't start until the end of November 2000, so its plausible Sweep had completed most if not all of the series by the time Crossroads was given the go ahead.

of course Wiki isn't gospel but the timescale fits.
JA
james-2001
The final series all have a 1999 copyright date, so would have been finished filming well before the Crossroads revival.
JC
JamieC
There is, of course, a similar thing going on with The Young Ones. There's a noticeable drought of any bloopers or behind the scenes footage besides the odd very rare appearance on Auntie's Bloomers, and a smattering of YouTube videos that come from multi-generation VHS transfers that include some rushes from the more complex sequences in the show, like when Rik has a saw come through his bed.

There is actually a 26-minute video of just this which was recorded in-house at the BBC at the end of Series 2. It's called Just For Fun

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7yw556
SP
Steve in Pudsey
There is, of course, a similar thing going on with The Young Ones. There's a noticeable drought of any bloopers or behind the scenes footage besides the odd very rare appearance on Auntie's Bloomers, and a smattering of YouTube videos that come from multi-generation VHS transfers that include some rushes from the more complex sequences in the show, like when Rik has a saw come through his bed.

In case you're not aware of them already, let me point you in the direction of two outstanding blog posts by John Hoare, if the swear filter will allow it

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2021/01/ill-tell-you-a-story/

http://www.dirtyfeed.org/2021/01/wanker-on-television/

There are a some interesting blooper reels linked from the comments.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Those blog posts are a great read, thanks for those! I had no idea Just For Fun existed either. I've just ripped it before the inevitable happens.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
What TV would look like if Mr Blobby was in charge of a channel, the so-called Blobby C One:

Effectively a long advert for the Crinkley Bottom theme park that used to be in Somerset, filmed mostly on location there and with the odd rehashed insert from the House Party.
BU
buster
Wow. I had the first Blobby video which was an odd mix of kiddy friendly sketches and the Gotchas. But it kind of worked with the Gotchas as the anchor. The House Party inserts are quite woeful out of context (and they weren’t great on the show) and the Cricket St Thomas plugging is quite tiresome after a while.

Newer posts