TV Home Forum

BBC Three channel to return in January 2022

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Ash101
Wonder if the classics will return?. Don’t tell the bride, family guy, sun sex and suspicious parents, Eastenders omnibus

EastEnders repeats are the only one that’s likely, because all the other shows have since found new homes elsewhere. Even then, is a 10/10:30pm repeat worthwhile.

I think this’ll be the biggest issue for ‘New’ Three. They haven’t got the filler content to pad out a schedule. Do you do repeats of content like The Wheel or The Hit List pre-9pm in lieu of Suspicious or Bride?
itvblocks and Ballyboy gave kudos
AB
AcerBen
I hope they have the courage to try some sort of daily live show.

Reckon they should do more tie-ins with Radio 1. Move The Live Lounge Show from BBC Four. A Newsbeat show? Music video hours VJ'd by Radio 1 DJs.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
Wonder if the classics will return?. Don’t tell the bride, family guy, sun sex and suspicious parents, Eastenders omnibus

Unlikely, I think the new BBC Three should be forward-looking rather than rehashing formats from a decade ago or more.

CBBC will go back to closing at 7pm according to Broadcast. It also says "BBC3 will only air pre-watershed content for the 13+ age group until 9pm." which I think is their weird way of saying there won't be shows for the CBBC age group between 7pm and 9pm.

I took that to mean that the early part of the schedule will feature programming intended to appeal to the top end of the CBBC audience and also to a young adult audience - there were signs of this happening on the old BBC Three when a series of Wolfblood was repeated in the 7pm slot. There has also been some online-only programming aimed at a teen audience that might fit nicely into this slot.

It'll be interesting to see whether things like the festival coverage and the Eurovision semi-finals will shift back across from BBC Four - in the case of the latter, I suspect they will probably stay where they are.
Brynt, Jeffmister and MarkT76 gave kudos
JO
Jonwo

Reckon they should do more tie-ins with Radio 1. Move The Live Lounge Show from BBC Four. A Newsbeat show? Music video hours VJ'd by Radio 1 DJs.

I suspect it'd be too expensive to do a live show and anything music related that's not TOTP repeats doesn't rate.

I reckon the launch show will be Conversations with Friends which is the follow up series to Normal People.
IT
itvblocks

Family Guy and American Dad went to ITV2.

EastEnders omnibuses, possible. Would they really go out their way to repeat old programmes? I don't think so.

Good that BBC Three is coming back, I guess...but why did they close it down to begin with?

The problem here is that people have moved on to streaming services, then "whatever is on the telly" comes last.
Rijowhi, bkman1990 and Ballyboy gave kudos
SL
Shaun Linden
An EastEnders repeat is likely. Did the 10pm screening end before the channel was moved?

The first day back I'm guessing they'd launch series 3 of Drag Race UK.

I hope this means we see a reduction of 'youth' programmes or the editorial change to a more youthful output on BBC One.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Ident wise, remember that one they used for BBC one in March 2019. I really liked that.

I think a combination of that and slightly altered BBC Scotland promo graphics would work excellently.

If they choose to air news I can seriously see them using the Newsbeat branding instead of 60seconds as Radio 1 and BBC 3 have a large overlap in audience.

------------------------------------------------------------

Wild Theory
What if BBC Scotland were to use either the BBC3 or 4 slot in Scotland and for either BBC3 or 4 to exist purely online there
Last edited by Alfie Mulcahy on 2 March 2021 3:27pm
AR
Argybargy
I remember BBC Three used to often have repeat showings of BBC One's Christmas movie premieres a few days after they originally aired. So I can see them doing that again.

The Eurovision semis will undoubtedly also return to Three.
MarkT76 and itvblocks gave kudos
AS
Ash101
An EastEnders repeat is likely. Did the 10pm screening end before the channel was moved?

I think it moved to 10:30pm?

Also have a vague memory of a repeat then moving to W in the months following Three’s closure?
watchingtv, MarkT76 and Ballyboy gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Jonwo posted:

I suspect it'd be too expensive to do a live show and anything music related that's not TOTP repeats doesn't rate.

I reckon the launch show will be Conversations with Friends which is the follow up series to Normal People.

But they already film BBC R1 branded stuff for the iPlayer. That could easily be rolled into BBC3.
PF
PFML84
The right decision, just a shame they took it off in the first place and then had to take a few years to realise they made a huge mistake.
AB
AcerBen
Jonwo posted:

The music shows would be cheap to make and better as late night filler than ancient repeats of Summer Heights High and Two Pints Of Lager or whatever else they'd have to shove there. And having links between BBC Three and Radio 1 would be mutually beneficial.

Newer posts