TV Home Forum

BBC Three channel to return in January 2022

(March 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AA
Amber Avenger
What happened to 'we're not going to launch any new linear channels'?

Well they are technically launching an old one Wink
TV
Tv2333
I thought it had been announced already that BBC Four would no longer commission its own programmes and become a archive and forigen language programme channel, sport's coverage would switch back to BBC Three

The making BBC Four International part mentioned in the 2020-21 plan is happening (though under the name of BBC Select).
VM
VMPhil
Now the question is, does this mean anything for BBC Four?

I thought it had been announced already that BBC Four would no longer commission its own programmes and become a archive and forigen language programme channel, sport's coverage would switch back to BBC Three

You’re quite right, and I had completely forgotten.
NT
Night Thoughts
Good news.

Funny that 20 years ago, public service broadcasting was forcing BBC3 to run a 7pm news programme that nobody watched; now public service broadcasting will be running shows for teenagers. Finally got it right.
AB
AcerBen
Now the question is, does this mean anything for BBC Four?

Didn't they actually announce that programmes would no longer be commissioned by any specific channel? The various BBC programming departments will just commission programmes, and then decide where to put them. So it doesn't mean that BBC Four won't have any new programming.
TV
Tv2333
For Clarity here's what the BBC Annual Plan said about BBC Three and Four.
LO
lobster
I can’t help but think the ship has sailed and we’ll be here again in a couple of years... pondering why it’s been cancelled again. I just can’t see my kids coming off streaming services to watch something on “normal telly”

also, with reference to the above, January 2022 doesn't seem like they are "moving decisively"
Last edited by lobster on 2 March 2021 2:59pm
Rijowhi and Ballyboy gave kudos
AB
AcerBen
I can’t help but think the ship has sailed and we’ll be here again in a couple of years... pondering why it’s been cancelled again. I just can’t see my kids coming off streaming services to watch something on “normal telly”

Surely it's more about ensuring that they're capturing those who do still watch linear TV, rather than trying to tempt people away from iPlayer.

Remember it was never really about the cost of running the channel itself - they moved it online really to cover up the fact they were slashing the programming budget, and would no longer have had enough programmes to fill the schedule.

If bringing the channel back boosts overall consumption of BBC Three programming, even by a modest amount, then that'll be job done.
BA
Ballyboy
Wonder if the classics will return?. Don’t tell the bride, family guy, sun sex and suspicious parents, Eastenders omnibus
ET
ethanh05
Wonder if the classics will return?. Don’t tell the bride, family guy, sun sex and suspicious parents, Eastenders omnibus

'Classics' is being used in the loosest sense of the word there.
RD
Roger Darthwell
That'll make a certain 'BringBack' happy. Wink

It does make me very happy indeed mate!
itvblocks and Ballyboy gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
Ident wise, remember the sting they used for bbc one in March 2019?
Last edited by Ballyboy on 2 March 2021 3:13pm

Newer posts