TV Home Forum

Dancing on Ice 2021

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:
Apparently only 3.6m last night according to The Sun. The axe could be about to swing.

I doubt they'll axe it after this series but a revamp is on the cards for sure.

I think in a way this year being such a disaster that it might actually save it - ITV won't really want it to go out like that.

How did the highlights show rate a week earlier?
SL
Shaun Linden
They could try a Reykjavik week, where they go and skate on real ice.
ET
ethanh05

Don't even think Iceland the shop would accept them at this point, let alone Iceland the country.
JK
JKDerry
3.6 million viewers on a Sunday night when we are still under tight restrictions is really poor for ITV. That is a drop of over a million from the previous live edition. One million got bored with the one week break it seems. I was one of them. I have totally lost interest.

Yes, the Covid issues and accidents have caused so many problems, but adding to it is the total lack of spark or joy in the show. Something has gone from the production, I don't know what, but it simply hasn't felt good for a good number of years.

Watching the archive clips you can see how good a production was in their heyday, but what have the production done to the show to make it bad now?
BR
Brekkie

How about Amsterdam week?
RD
RDJ
I watched the show in its original run. Gave up after a few years before returning for the final All Stars series.

I’ll be honest, it came back too quickly in my opinion. Four years meant that the previous incarnation was still fresh in mine and other viewers minds. And when I saw that it was pretty much exactly the same bar a new smaller rink, I gave up very quickly.

DOI has lost its charm that it had in its early days. Strictly worked hard to relish their charm and trounced the X Factor eventually gaining new loyal viewers.

I don’t know what DOI has to do to reinvent itself now. I feel it would benefit from new hosts, new judges, a live orchestra - a huge rethink basically. But ITV would never be brave enough to do this.
JO
Jonwo
I wouldn't be opposed of them having new presenters but I'm not sure if ITV would replace Holly and Phil on DOI.
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:
I wouldn't be opposed of them having new presenters but I'm not sure if ITV would replace Holly and Phil on DOI.

I think the trouble is at the moment the way the show is formatted means it only needs one presenter and having two actually makes it look awkward at times when they're joined at the hip, something that didn't happen the first time around. Holly or Phil would probably be the choice to take that role, but they'll never axe one of them and seems unlikely one would leave at the moment.
JO
Johnr
Personally I actually preferred when they got Christine Lampard (Bleakley) in to present whilst Holly was away on maternity leave

Also Torvill and Dean are fantastic performers and trainers, but sticking them on the judging panel was a mistake

Sadly there are some elements that can never quite be replicated, such as the great and gentle commentary provided by the late Tony Gubba, helped by the 'end of pier' contestants such as Todd Carty who never stood a chance at winning the thing but provided a few weeks of fantastic Sunday evening entertainment!
DE88 and Meridian AM gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
And I think they'd struggle now to move Torvill & Dean off the judging panel without it looking like a demotion, especially now they don't have a weekly performance slot.

This year really missed the Todd Carty style character and also the exceptionally good star - it's all just a bit too middling, even if middling nowadays is overmarked. Moving forward they need to make it a complete show once again - rather than just a series of performances, and also for a show that is full of filler they actually need to stop rushing things, which very much begins with the opening titles - or lack of. It needs to flow alot smoother and be put together alot smarter.
BR
brioalex
I do feel like ITV have become very complacent with Dancing on Ice over the past few years. They can’t seem to get hold of a suitable replacement entertainment programme to air from January to March, so instead, they’re left with this rinse and repeat formula. It feels like no one really cares about Dancing on Ice anymore as long as they get it on air it's fine... "it'll do"!

It's definitely lost it's sparkle, something that Strictly has managed to keep hold of. I would take the format back to basics, Torvil and Dean shouldn't be judges they were better as head coaches. Make the studio feel brighter, considering we're watching on cold and dark Sunday nights we'd like some escapism from that. Basically they just need to replicate series 1 and I think they'd be on to a winner!
JK
JKDerry
They should cut it to a 90 minute show, keep the show tight and less padding. 6.30pm to 8.00pm on a Sunday would be fine.

Newer posts