The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
Bbc world news just showed the uk shadow chancellors speech how is this relevant to bbc world news viewers?
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Bbc world news just showed the uk shadow chancellors speech how is this relevant to bbc world news viewers?

Part of normal simulcast time, World probably wouldn't have showed it if they weren't simulcasting, the two channels have diverged now
MA
Meridian AM
BBC News and BBC World News both showed Captain Tom's funeral the other day too, during simulcasting, despite it maybe not being relevant to international viewers.
It's the same with CNN - there are many CNN US simulcasts on CNN International, which are often full of news of little interest or relevance outside of the US.
LL
London Lite Founding member
BBC News and BBC World News both showed Captain Tom's funeral the other day too, during simulcasting, despite it maybe not being relevant to international viewers.
It's the same with CNN - there are many CNN US simulcasts on CNN International, which are often full of news of little interest or relevance outside of the US.

To be fair, Captain Tom's death was on foreign domestic bulletins as well. I saw it on French and US bulletins.
JF
JF World News

Part of normal simulcast time, World probably wouldn't have showed it if they weren't simulcasting, the two channels have diverged now

There's an informal agreement that BBC News UK produces the 10am hour for world, and BBC World News produces Outside Source and the 11pm hour for BBC News UK. This is a permanent decision due to budget cuts. Pre covid were 7pm & 9pm, so simulcasting has only increased by 90 mins a day overall,
HA
harshy Founding member

There's an informal agreement that BBC News UK produces the 10am hour for world, and BBC World News produces Outside Source and the 11pm hour for BBC News UK. This is a permanent decision due to budget cuts. Pre covid were 7pm & 9pm, so simulcasting has only increased by 90 mins a day overall,

Isn’t Studio E lights and stuff on at this hour or is it used to clean Studio E? I can’t imagine it saves much money at all surely?
JF
JF World News

Isn’t Studio E lights and stuff on at this hour or is it used to clean Studio E? I can’t imagine it saves much money at all surely?

We don't know, but I imagine the 10am hour is used for maintance and cleaning in C and the 7pm hour is used to do the same in E and 9pm simulcast is to do with reherashal for the ten, so they didn't open a sixth studio.
UN
Universal_r
Is 10am GMT the only hour that studio C isn’t actually used?
(On weekdays)
JF
JF World News
(On weekdays)

I think so, appart from saturday morning when its also 11am and 12pm,
UN
Universal_r
(On weekdays)

It’s surprising it doesn’t have more downtime for regular maintenance especially for a studio that’s on air 23 hours a day, that’s pretty impressive.
JF
JF World News
(On weekdays)

It’s surprising it doesn’t have more downtime for regular maintenance especially for a studio that’s on air 23 hours a day, that’s pretty impressive.

Its because B has been mothballed prior to Covid they had midday until 7pm to work in C. I'm surprised D isn't used more between BBC London Bulliten's, in theory World or NC could use it if there was a techincal issue or more regularly, between 2pm and 5pm or 11pm and 5am if needed.
SD
ShinyDave
Isn't BBC London based out of the Peel wing? Same complex of course so if that studio has any problems it's worth having D spare. Ditto the Arabic- and Persian-language services apparently in that same wing. Especially with B gone, it probably makes sense to keep one studio spare for literally whoever might need it.

Newer posts