TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo

Will it, or does it just feel like it'll be ever-present after a year of experiencing nothing but this?
I know it's not exactly the same, but pre-2020, in extreme cases, people died of bad cases of the flu in winter and this was accepted as a sad inevitability. You didn't see people sitting metres away from each other every time the weather dipped below a certain temperature just in case one of their colleagues had it.
I'm not downplaying the seriousness of COVID-19, especially as I personally am one of the people deemed at high risk should I contract it, but now there are vaccines, and once the people who are offered them/want to take them have them (as per flu vaccines every year), I can't see why there'd be an expectation that social distancing would need to continue, certainly not forever.
Surely in a year or so, COVID will be seen like flu is now, undeniably a problem, but one which is adequately covered by an annual jab for those who need it, and life will go on?

A lot of society can't function with social distancing in place like live events for example. If The Isle of Man was able to scrap social distancing, I think we'll probably see the same thing happen here.
alexjac0788 and Ittr gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
What are the coloured floating rectangles behind them?? Distracting, unnecessary and makes the fake London backdrop look even more fake.
FL
Flux

I think [social distancing] will remain 'best practice' for a long time, if not forever.

Will it, or does it just feel like it'll be ever-present after a year of experiencing nothing but this?
I know it's not exactly the same, but pre-2020, in extreme cases, people died of bad cases of the flu in winter and this was accepted as a sad inevitability. You didn't see people sitting metres away from each other every time the weather dipped below a certain temperature just in case one of their colleagues had it.
I'm not downplaying the seriousness of COVID-19, especially as I personally am one of the people deemed at high risk should I contract it, but now there are vaccines, and once the people who are offered them/want to take them (as per flu vaccines every year) have these, I can't see why there'd be an expectation that social distancing would need to continue in the longer term.

Oh you’re completely right, it will go away as a strict requirement. But as Markymark says, I can see the government keeping it in place as “recommended” and “best practice” for a long while. If that’s the case, TV presentation may be expected to keep up the example.

Apart from the wide shots this morning though, it’s hardly noticeable on GMB any more. Kudos to the designers.
IS
Inspector Sands
I think for many social distancing will be a thing for a long while, it's become so natural to do after a year. When I've been out on walks and at work it seems to have become natural behaviour for the majority of people.

It might not be legally mandated but it'll be around for a lot longer. Also remember 'the roadmap' is just a plan based on conditions, obviously I hope it all goes to plan but who knows what will happen in the next few months, it's not exactly been handled that well so far.

Jonwo posted:
All this talk about social distancing makes me wonder if Piers might end up having the vaccine on air or as a recorded segment given he's the right age to get it done within the next month or so.

I think it might be too late in the rollout for that, so many of us have had it that it's not particular a big deal him getting done. Besides is anyone going to be encouraged to get it by having seen Piers has had it? He's hardly the Queen
JO
Jonwo
Flux posted:

I think [social distancing] will remain 'best practice' for a long time, if not forever.

I'm not downplaying the seriousness of COVID-19, especially as I personally am one of the people deemed at high risk should I contract it, but now there are vaccines, and once the people who are offered them/want to take them (as per flu vaccines every year) have these, I can't see why there'd be an expectation that social distancing would need to continue in the longer term.

Oh you’re completely right, it will go away as a strict requirement. But as Markymark says, I can see the government keeping it in place as “recommended” and “best practice” for a long while. If that’s the case, TV presentation may be expected to keep up the example.

Apart from the wide shots this morning though, it’s hardly noticeable on GMB any more. Kudos to the designers.

As I said, I think they'll be a compromise of a smaller distance between presenters but things like the perplex on shows like Only Connect and UC will probably only remain in place for the upcoming series and be gone by the time they film again in 2022.

I think it might be too late in the rollout for that, so many of us have had it that it's not particular a big deal him getting done. Besides is anyone going to be encouraged to get it by having seen Piers has had it? He's hardly the Queen

I could see Piers doing it for ego reasons, if it's not done on GMB, he'll certainly post it on his social media pages. I think This Morning will probably have Phil go for his vaccination as a segment.
SL
Shaun Linden
Jonwo posted:
Flux posted:

As I said, I think they'll be a compromise of a smaller distance between presenters but things like the perplex on shows like Only Connect and UC will probably only remain in place for the upcoming series and be gone by the time they film again in 2022.

I could see Piers doing it for ego reasons, if it's not done on GMB, he'll certainly post it on his social media pages. I think This Morning will probably have Phil go for his vaccination as a segment.

Indeed, it's the two shows where their resident doctors could administer it live, to show the audience its fine.
JB
JasonB
The new credenza™ looks like it should belong on a Question of Sport.
MA
Meridian AM

JA
jacob_27
With it only being a month away, I wonder if GMB will do their annual go-over-the-top Oscars special. Obviously they won't be going to Hollywood again this year (which in all honesty, they only did for the enjoyment of the presenters and crew), but will they have all the special music and graphics for an event that (in my opinion) most Brits don't really care much about ?
DW
DavidWhitfield
With it only being a month away, I wonder if GMB will do their annual go-over-the-top Oscars special. Obviously they won't be going to Hollywood again this year (which in all honesty, they only did for the enjoyment of the presenters and crew), but will they have all the special music and graphics for an event that (in my opinion) most Brits don't really care much about ?

Judging by past experience, if they see an excuse to broadcast a 'special' programme, (inclusive of the commission of yet more variants of the theme music and minor changes/additons to the graphics and TOTH sequence/voiceover for the day), then you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll take it, and make it as brash and over the top as possible in the process, irrespective of whether or not the audience are remotely interested in the subject matter.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 1 March 2021 10:17am
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
From a few replies on Twitter, Erron has "noted" that the coloured lines are distracting.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
From a few replies on Twitter, Erron has "noted" that the coloured lines are distracting.

I don't mind them myself. The only distracting one is the white one at the bottom of the big screen - makes it look like something is missing.

The desk itself look brilliant (but the logo looks cramped) although the weather desk looks a bit odd still being in the old style.

Newer posts