TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Flux posted:
It may be slightly longer, but I can't imagine they would have designed a new desk - which will presumably be in use for at least a couple of years from past experience - with social distancing in mind.
In the immediate term, yes, presenters will be socially distanced, but after a year of it, I very much hope that'll soon be a thing of the past.
Please, God!
Remember when people used to ... sit next to each other?

I dearly hope we'll be back to that sooner rather than later, and that we'll see very few 'socially distanced' shows from this desk.
Let's think positive!

Do you know what, I’m so used to it by now that I hardly question it. In fact, I now find a lot of recent archive where people are sitting next to each other looks incredibly cramped. When Strictly did their “best of” show last year, I was really surprised how there was so little room behind some of the old judges’ desks - all 4 judges looked uncomfortably close to each other! In the same way, I find it looks completely natural to have the hosts sat apart on GMB now, and I expect this new desk may make it look even more natural since it will have been planned with the extended spacing in mind. Strange how perceptions and expectations change.

The only regular show where I find it does feel awkward is This Morning - I guess due to it being at odds with the “cosy” nature of the set and presentation.

I'm completely the opposite - distancing makes for uncomfortable viewing IMO, but I agree that it is much more noticeable on programmes such as This Morning, as well as SNT.

It feels like a treat when, for example, TM show a throwback to pre-Covid times and no one's having to worry about 2m!

Hopefully, social distancing will only be around for a few more months.

I think it will remain 'best practice' for a long time, if not forever. Covid isn't going to suddenly disappear overnight in a puff of smoke, but we will learn to manage it
JW
JamesWorldNews
At the risk of turning into Sybil Fawlty:

The new credenza isn’t a credenza.

From what I’ve seen over on TV Live, I like this refreshed look. Kudos to ITV for making a decent effort to bring the studio fixtures up to a safe standard for the permanent haul ahead.

Of course, it won’t be to everyone’s taste, but that’s fine. No revamp or refresh will ever suit everyone.

In classic TVF style, some members who complained about the vastness of the new desk (when previewed) are also the same members who (many pages back) complained about the artificial blended image making Piers and Susanna appear to sit very close to each other!

There’s just no pleasing some folk.

I say, well done ITV.

In edit: agree 100% with Mark’s post immediately above. 👍
DR
Driches
I really like the new desk looks great. What’s with the coloured moving lines behind piers and Susanna.

I wonder if the newsreader will return to the desk when social distancing comes to a end. Plenty of room for the newsreader to sit to the left of piers. It’s also much better having dr Hilary at the desk again.
BE
benjy
The logo sits very awkwardly in the middle of the desk. I want to rotate it 45 degrees...
IT
Ittr
Jonwo posted:
I wonder if we might see presenters be less bunched up together when social distancing is eventually scrapped

I think this is likely to happen in the immediate term post-SD, but as sets are changed and the like over years to come, it's quite likely that presenters will eventually be sitting as closely as before.
JO
Jonwo
Ittr posted:

I think this is likely to happen in the immediate term post-SD, but as sets are changed and the like over years to come, it's quite likely that presenters will eventually be sitting as closely as before.

I agree, I think the Australian Breakfast TV set up is a good compromise to start with before gradually going back to the pre pandemic set up.
FL
Flux
Flux posted:

Do you know what, I’m so used to it by now that I hardly question it. In fact, I now find a lot of recent archive where people are sitting next to each other looks incredibly cramped. When Strictly did their “best of” show last year, I was really surprised how there was so little room behind some of the old judges’ desks - all 4 judges looked uncomfortably close to each other! In the same way, I find it looks completely natural to have the hosts sat apart on GMB now, and I expect this new desk may make it look even more natural since it will have been planned with the extended spacing in mind. Strange how perceptions and expectations change.

The only regular show where I find it does feel awkward is This Morning - I guess due to it being at odds with the “cosy” nature of the set and presentation.

I'm completely the opposite - distancing makes for uncomfortable viewing IMO, but I agree that it is much more noticeable on programmes such as This Morning, as well as SNT.

It feels like a treat when, for example, TM show a throwback to pre-Covid times and no one's having to worry about 2m!

Hopefully, social distancing will only be around for a few more months.

I think it will remain 'best practice' for a long time, if not forever. Covid isn't going to suddenly disappear overnight in a puff of smoke, but we will learn to manage it

I agree, and I think the sheer size of this new desk suggests GMB are aware of this and want to allow for it longer term.

I like the refresh, but the size of the desk does rather take you by surprise when they cut to a wide shot, especially since the “illusion” of the presenters being nearer to each other via split screen is way more seamless in the new setup (again, the new design has obviously been done with this in mind)
AS
ASR
I think the desk is nice and shows some forward planningk, but the screens look quite busy. I reckon the screens behind Hillary and in the old news corner could do with just the blue and orange blocks/lines to keep it simple, however, the skyline could do without them. We all know it's fake, but it used to look real.
JO
Jonwo
All this talk about social distancing makes me wonder if Piers might end up having the vaccine on air or as a recorded segment given he's the right age to get it done within the next month or so.
LI
Live066
I really like the new desk! Looks cool and modern i think. However i hate them strange floating shapes behind them on the screen
watchingtv and DeMarkay gave kudos
DW
DavidWhitfield

I think [social distancing] will remain 'best practice' for a long time, if not forever.

Will it, or does it just feel like it'll be ever-present after a year of experiencing nothing but this?
I know it's not exactly the same, but pre-2020, in extreme cases, people died of bad cases of the flu in winter and this was accepted as a sad inevitability. You didn't see people sitting metres away from each other every time the weather dipped below a certain temperature just in case one of their colleagues had it.
I'm not downplaying the seriousness of COVID-19, especially as I personally am one of the people deemed at high risk should I contract it, but now there are vaccines, and once the people who are offered them/want to take them (as per flu vaccines every year) have these, I can't see why there'd be an expectation that social distancing would need to continue in the longer term.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 1 March 2021 8:25am
CH
chris

I think [social distancing] will remain 'best practice' for a long time, if not forever.

Will it, or does it just feel like it'll be ever-present after a year of experiencing nothing but this?
I know it's not exactly the same, but pre-2020, in extreme cases, people died of bad cases of the flu in winter and this was accepted as a sad inevitability. You didn't see people sitting metres away from each other every time the weather dipped below a certain temperature just in case one of their colleagues had it.
I'm not downplaying the seriousness of COVID-19, especially as I personally am one of the people deemed at high risk should I contract it, but now there are vaccines, and once the people who are offered them/want to take them have them (as per flu vaccines every year), I can't see why there'd be an expectation that social distancing would need to continue, certainly not forever.

Indeed. Social distancing won’t be in forever, in fact the government has already announced a review to work out when it can be scrapped.

On the desk, looks nice. But what’s with those weird moving rectangles on the backdrop?
alexjac0788, Ittr and Jonwo gave kudos

Newer posts