TV Home Forum

Bank Balance

Gordon Ramsay's gameshow in the tardis (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
What are the "credit" lifelines? Think we only saw tge first one revealed.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
2.7m last night which is a million down on the slot average. I think it's only going to fall further based on the general reaction to it. I hope it doesn't put them off trying out better formats in this slot in the future.

Maybe it will do considerably better tonight, Piers Morgan is on the other side chatting to Trisha.
JO
Josh
What are the "credit" lifelines? Think we only saw tge first one revealed.

Pick Again - Pick another number out of the bowl if you're not happy with the one chosen.
Bank A Stack - You walk away with the amount of the next stack chosen if placed correctly, regardless of if you smash the pile later on.
Credit 3 is yet to be revealed.
HC
Hatton Cross
What credit 3 is has been rattling around my tv formatting brain on and off today.

The logical one would be something along the lines of 'Split a Stack' where you can move one or more blocks from one stack and put them on other stacks around the arms of the board in the name of rebalancing.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I think there's an element of shooting one's self in the foot in the sense that it's been promoted with such intense dramatic trailers, and there was a double-page spread in The Mirror a little while back, with Gordon claiming (possibly tongue-in-cheek, but still) it was going to be as big as Millionaire. Such an approach is setting yourself up for people's expectations not to be met.
GO
gottago
Worth having a look at comments on Bother's Bar. The format's absolutely riddled with flaws I didn't even notice last night. Like how if you're essentially penalised for doing well as you have to give correct answers and quickly stack bricks within 60 seconds, whereas if you get it wrong you're given all the time in the world to stack those red bricks which means much less risk of the thing toppling over out of rushing. And there could come a point where your board is so heavily on one side that when you do eventually get the chance to put weights on the other side you might be better off getting the question wrong, taking your time to stack and using the penalty block as an extra way of rebalancing the thing.

This is what you get when you give a quiz commission to a talent-led company with zero quiz experience.
JO
Jon
but the one thing you certainly can't say of Cash Buckaroo with Gordon Ramsay is that it's a predictable addition to their evening line up.

Sounds like you’ve already invented a better format than Bank Balance.

I’ve think Gordon is absolutely fine, I agree he’s a bit ‘wooden’ when presenting to camera but his conversation with the contestants is actually quite ‘down to earth’ and refreshing as someone already said.

The problem to me is the format is far too complicated, the basic premise had potential but the game is a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Studio Ramsey has certainly over cooked this show.
iloveTV1 and DeMarkay gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
Reading the credits, there were only 3 people (2 of whom have had had no creative input into the format) I saw who had experience in any level of peak time game/quiz show before.

Steve Webster - who built the table, and has built other props for other shows (the Tipping Point pusher machine for example)
Richard Van't Riet - The director of many peak time shiny floor quiz shows
Sue Allison - who was the series producer on the rebooted Krypton Factor, and also that creative giant, err. Hole In The Wall.

It shows.
JO
Jon
Also hour long gameshows commercial free don’t really work. The Wheel is an exception as it’s giving so much more than just the game aspect. I also don’t agree that it’s over complicated in the same way Bank Balance is, it’s certainly a lot easier to follow even if we don’t remember all the details of the format every show.
RL
Running Late
Reading the credits, there were only 3 people (2 of whom have had had no creative input into the format) I saw who had experience in any level of peak time game/quiz show before.

Steve Webster - who built the table, and has built other props for other shows (the Tipping Point pusher machine for example)
Richard Van't Riet - The director of many peak time shiny floor quiz shows
Sue Allison - who was the series producer on the rebooted Krypton Factor, and also that creative giant, err. Hole In The Wall.

It shows.

Could they show repeats of that instead of this tripe?
BR
Brekkie
Jon posted:
Also hour long gameshows commercial free don’t really work. The Wheel is an exception as it’s giving so much more than just the game aspect. I also don’t agree that it’s over complicated in the same way Bank Balance is, it’s certainly a lot easier to follow even if we don’t remember all the details of the format every show.

There is sometimes a lot to be said for ad breaks. I didn't think this dragged as much as The Wheel though but it was slower - the first team took nearly 45 minutes and think only just passed the half way point of the game.
TI
TIGHazard
2.7m last night which is a million down on the slot average. I think it's only going to fall further based on the general reaction to it. I hope it doesn't put them off trying out better formats in this slot in the future.

Maybe it will do considerably better tonight, Piers Morgan is on the other side chatting to Trisha.

Piers Morgan on ITV, A Horizon COVID doc on Two, A stand up to Cancer special on 4 and the second part of a documentary from yesterday on 5. If anything, today would have been a better slot to launch it.

Newer posts