TV Home Forum

Live Test Cricket returns to C4

India v England series (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
I imagine Steph will be called in to present Packed Lunch.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The highlights show is basically as before, but twice as long, with just a short piece to camera as the intro. Noteably though it's available on All4 in HD - perhaps a concession to More4 being SD. Unless I'm mistaken All4 isn't in HD as standard.

All4 on the Amazon Firestick is 1920x1080 except for the linear tv restreams.
CA
Castries

All4 on the Amazon Firestick is 1920x1080 except for the linear tv restreams.

Watching the cricket this afternoon on All4 on an AppleTV 4K was like a RealMedia 56k stream at times - virtually unwatchable. No excuse for this in 2021.
CU
Curto21
What do they fill the schedule with tomorrow and Saturday sunday did have an alternative though

I think that Countdown which was due to be shown on More 4 will be shifted back to Channel 4
BR
Brekkie
Think it has already been pulled from More4.

This is where TV is so dull now - we know they'll just replace it with the schedule they'd have if they weren't showing cricket. A couple of decades ago you'd get quite a random mix of programmes and films put in the schedule which was often the sort of thing that wouldn't air day to day - plus of course the classic editions of Countdown.
GE
thegeek Founding member

This is where TV is so dull now - we know they'll just replace it with the schedule they'd have if they weren't showing cricket. A couple of decades ago you'd get quite a random mix of programmes and films put in the schedule which was often the sort of thing that wouldn't air day to day - plus of course the classic editions of Countdown.

would you though? Think of the likes of World Cups where they'd even go as far as publishing alternate "football" and "no football" listings depending on what picks they went for.
UL
ulsterman92

Back when Channel 4 had their original cricket rights from 1999-2005 if a test was rained off or ended early they had classic editions of countdown but the last couple of years from 2003-2005 they filmed new special editions where previous contestants came back and I believe a few were never broadcast but you wouldn't get anything like that now, haven't looked at the EPG for tomorrow but imagine it will be the usual mix of Frasier, Gordon Ramsey, Come Dine with Me etc same with the BBC can guarantee the schedule for Sunday with the rugby cancelled will be Escape to the Country, Bargain Hunt etc.
SW
Steve Williams
Back when Channel 4 had their original cricket rights from 1999-2005 if a test was rained off or ended early they had classic editions of countdown but the last couple of years from 2003-2005 they filmed new special editions where previous contestants came back and I believe a few were never broadcast but you wouldn't get anything like that now, haven't looked at the EPG for tomorrow but imagine it will be the usual mix of Frasier, Gordon Ramsey, Come Dine with Me etc same with the BBC can guarantee the schedule for Sunday with the rugby cancelled will be Escape to the Country, Bargain Hunt etc.

I don't know what people expect, these shows are fillers for obvious reasons - they're all cleared for broadcast and they're inoffensive enough to be used in every single context, given it's likely they will often be shown because of news events. In addition, they also need to improvise a completely new schedule with, in C4's case, less than 24 hours' notice.

That's beside the point that if you do put something new on, you then annoy people who missed it because it isn't in the TV guides or EPGs. Wonder how many Countdown viewers, more likely than most to use TV guides, will miss it tomorrow if it's moved back to C4 at the earlier time.
Last edited by Steve Williams on 25 February 2021 8:25pm
UL
ulsterman92

I don't know what people expect, these shows are fillers for obvious reasons - they're all cleared for broadcast and they're inoffensive enough to be used in every single context, given it's likely they will often be shown because of news events. In addition, they also need to improvise a completely new schedule with, in C4's case, less than 24 hours' notice.

That's beside the point that if you do put something new on, you then annoy people who missed it because it isn't in the TV guides or EPGs. Wonder how many Countdown viewers, more likely than most to use TV guides, will miss it tomorrow if it's moved back to C4 at the earlier time.

Wasn't complaining at all just Steve just said I expect the schedule to be that tomorrow, I more than likely will have Channel 4 on the background when working from home for the morning, point I was making was they filmed extra countdown shows in the 2003-2005 period and some might have never have been broadcast.
JO
Jonwo
More4 didn't exist until late 2005 which is probably why they filmed extra Countdown episodes.
JO
Johnr
They're not bothering with Steph, just a week's worth of Come Dine With Me then an episode of Find It, Fix It, Flog It then Countdown
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Johnr posted:
They're not bothering with Steph, just a week's worth of Come Dine With Me then an episode of Find It, Fix It, Flog It then Countdown

They weren't going to suddenly mount an episode of Steph's show at a day's notice, it's not as if everyone involved would be waiting around on the off-chance.

Newer posts