TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Michael
rdd posted:
I think it’s basically a stop gap for the moment and the fact that’s it’s only a one year deal is telling in that regard. As I say it’s a pity it only includes the NZ matches and it would be much better value if the Australian and Trans-Tasman ones were also included. Re getting it up on a TV my understanding is that there’s an Apple TV app, at any rate, and Airplay and Chromecast support.

It's priced for the die-hard supporters, and not the casual fans, much like the FloSports package for the Pacific Rugby Premiership a couple of seasons back.

I think if it's proven that RugbyPass can deliver, I would quite like them to bid for any and all rugby rights coming up, and develop big screen-capable apps.
JA
japitts
rdd posted:
I think it’s basically a stop gap for the moment and the fact that’s it’s only a one year deal is telling in that regard. As I say it’s a pity it only includes the NZ matches and it would be much better value if the Australian and Trans-Tasman ones were also included. Re getting it up on a TV my understanding is that there’s an Apple TV app, at any rate, and Airplay and Chromecast support.

It's priced for the die-hard supporters, and not the casual fans, much like the FloSports package for the Pacific Rugby Premiership a couple of seasons back.

I think if it's proven that RugbyPass can deliver, I would quite like them to bid for any and all rugby rights coming up, and develop big screen-capable apps.

Valid point - many (myself included) follow a club & country "die-hard" and just enjoy following/watching the other big leagues. I'm fortunate to have Sky & BT Sports, and took a one-month trial for Amazon last autumn (which I hope was a one-off). ...

..which leads neatly onto the idea that a mixture of pay & FTA broadcast contracts has always sat nicely with me. Put the big tournaments on FTA, there's certainly more scope for that with bundling the autumn series into a Six Nations contract. Then keep the club games & summer tours on a pay-broadcaster (with FTA highlights) for those wanting to pay.

I'm not a fan of streaming for live events, but I can see how it could then work for the "lesser" (I use that term very loosely, to also include the awkwardly timed) leagues.

When you suggest RugbyPass should bid for "any and all" contracts, I'm curious how you'd see this fitting into a FTA/pay broadcast model? I'm uncomfortable with, to take the glaring example, taking the Six-Nations off FTA.

From reading around a few Aussie/Kiwi news sites, it seems the "stop-gap" setup of this season is especially true of Sanzaar, more than I previously realised.
Last edited by japitts on 25 February 2021 11:38am
DV
DVB Cornwall
Six Nations Postponement

UL
ulsterman92
Six Nations Postponement

No Surprise but where to put the rearranged fixture is a problem now if they can't use the fallow week next week as it is another double header on March 13th & 20th as after the 20th will be outside the international window as players will be missing.
MI
Michael
They'll play it in November or something. Wales will have won the Grand Slam by then anyway.
DV
dvboy
BT Sport has picked up the UK Pro League Tennis which is a domestic competition over 9 weeks througout the year.
Not the kind of thing that is likely to attract new subscribers and given they gave up their WTA tennis a couple of years ago, this is a surprise.
RD
rdd Founding member
For those with access to the Times (paywalled), this is an interesting one about the state of play of rugby union TV rights, which has somehow arrived in a place where two of the sports major leagues aren’t being shown on TV here, the Southern Hemisphere international championship doesn’t have a TV deal, and the biggest pay TV sports broadcaster’s only rights to the sport are for a series of matches that only takes place once every four years and looks unlikely to go ahead this year. All this for the second most popular team sport in the UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ditch-global-vision-while-club-game-is-such-a-tv-turn-off-zjsqw2v62

The big news? Six Nations U.K. TV bids are due Monday, and seemingly Sky is making an effort to get these. Might we hear Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes once again grace our screens? Possibly not; I think that in Ireland at any rate the Six Nations going to pay TV would be a bridge too far and the Government would move it to the A list. But will be interesting to see what happens.
BR
Brekkie
Three bits of news on future events. The Rugby World Cup 2023 schedule has been announced, with all home nation games falling at the weekend, with games over 5 weekends rather than 4 eliminating many midweek games, although all NZ games are on Thursdays or Fridays, including the opener against France.

Looking further ahead Brisbane look set to host the 2032 Olympics having been named the preferred bidder by the IOC, with it needing to be ratified in July. The traditional bidding process has been replaced by the IOC working with "bidding partners" with Brisbane now having exclusivity on talks for the next six months.

A games in the US followed by Australia may see bids for the 2028/32 media rights by more favourable to the traditional PSBs given the less friendly time zones.

Also the Birmingham 2022 schedule has been confirmed. First few days see cycling late afternoon and swimming in the evening before the athletics kicks in various other sports finals. The last Sunday of the games highlights womens sports, with the closing ceremony on the Monday.

Just hope the BBC give it the sort of coverage London 2012 and Glasgow 2014 had with every sport having a dedicated live stream, not the ridiculous restriction to one extra stream we saw in 2018 despite the BBC having full rights.
Last edited by Brekkie on 26 February 2021 6:19pm - 2 times in total
JO
Jonwo
It's strange that the 2032 Olympics is being decided now whereas the 2030 FIFA World Cup is still in the bidding process.
DO
dosxuk
The olympic bidding process is a bit more involved than a competition to see who can stuff the most money in a brown envelope, allegedly.
CA
Cando
The olympic bidding process is a bit more involved than a competition to see who can stuff the most money in a brown envelope, allegedly.

That hasn't been the case for a long time to be fair unlike Fifa, they've cleaned up their act drastically.
Jonwo posted:
It's strange that the 2032 Olympics is being decided now whereas the 2030 FIFA World Cup is still in the bidding process.

Well Los Angeles got awarded them 11 years in advance as well but that was due to just two cities getting to the final round for 2028. The IOC changed the rules and awarded two Summer games together. 11 years instead of the old 7 years make sense to me in terms of planning.
BR
Brekkie
It's turning out to be a bit controversial compared to the old relative transparent, but expensive, practice - and the losers are attacking the lack of transparency where they've effectively been written off without a vote.

Newer posts