Mass Media & Technology

NOW TV

Now just er...NOW. (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
far
Hmm OK - My NOWTV app on my RokuExpress is running v5.9, build 29

Exactly the same on my Now TV 4500SK (also know as a Now TV Smart Box)
The correct way of finding out the Now TV app version is to find the Now TV "tile" and press the * button on the remote.

On the NOW TV 4K Box, it's showing v9.3.3 - Build 4109-68.

This is the version of firmware running on the Now TV box. For reference, on mine, it is v9.3.3 - build 4109-16
LL
London Lite Founding member
The original Smart Box with Freeview from what I understand still doesn't use the current OS while they updated the black box and 4K Smart Box.
BR
Brekkie
I made an off-hand enquiry of the NowTV twitter team when us serfs with Roku Expresses could expect to have access to Sky Sports red button bonus sports streams (with one eye on the upcoming International games rather than the midweek EFL soccer or F1) and was told, to my surprise, that they were already available. After a back-and-for they sent me the same compatible device list that I've seen and check a thousand times, which seems to indicate they were mistaken. I was wondering if the NowTV app I have on my Roku box is out of date or not updatable or something.

I do have a new Now TV stick but only found them by accident yesterday hidden at the very bottom of the app menu under "Bonus Streams". I had assumed they'd be within the sports listing.
MI
Michael
That's where they are on my Samsung TV, which is in the lounge and under the control of, to quote the blessed Nick Harvey, 'er indoors.

Upstairs I am restricted to Android, Windows and Roku, all of which don't have them. Grumble.

I may just buy a NowTV stick and be done with it.
EL
eladkse
Not strictly Now TV, but also not worth an entirely new thread:

BT will soon be adding Eurosport to their Big Sport and VIP packages (i.e. the two packages that include Sky Sports via Now TV). The channels were notably absent when they launched their new Now TV-oriented packages this time last year.

https://community.bt.com/t5/TV-Content-including-BT-Sport/Eurosport-now-available-on-Big-Sport-and-VIP-TV-plan/m-p/2141025#M24136

Good news ahead of the Olympics - would have been quite annoying had the Games actually taken place last year.
TellyTime and London Lite gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall
A pleasant move, of course it shouldn't have been removed from these packages when they were introduced twelve mnths ago.
EL
eladkse
In less good news... 3rd-party advertising is set to be introduced to NowTV's on demand content. Initial trials will involve showing pre-roll ads on some mobile devices, and will run on Entertainment and Cinema VoD.

Boost HD subscribers will not see these 3rd party adverts.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/tv-run-ads-catch-up-first-time/1708665
London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
In less good news... 3rd-party advertising is set to be introduced to NowTV's on demand content. Initial trials will involve showing pre-roll ads on some mobile devices, and will run on Entertainment and Cinema VoD.

Boost HD subscribers will not see these 3rd party adverts.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/tv-run-ads-catch-up-first-time/1708665

Now there's an incentive to buy the boost!
MI
Michael
To neatly tie everything up before this forum goes offline forever :

Ordered an Amazon Fire 4K stick. It appears to have finally ticked all my boxes.

- NOWTV with Boost plus bonus streams? √
- iPlayer, YouTube, access to my NAS? √
- Sideload Virgin TV Go with Mouse Toggle enabled? √
- Sideload Premier Player? √
- Pile of irrelevant screen architecture trying to sell me stuff I'll never need or use? √
JO
Joe
Ah, but does it have an ethernet connection? 😉
MI
Michael
No but I do have a WIFI extender in my room that also handily downconverts the 5GHz signal to a 2.4GHz signal, so I have multiple options throughout the house. It also has an ethernet jack on it so I can have wired internet on my media PC which is now going to be repurposed as a music recording PC.
IN
Interceptor
Joe posted:
Ah, but does it have an ethernet connection? 😉

Optionally, yes: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethernet-Adaptor-Remote-models/dp/B01LXP5TXI

Newer posts