TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
XI
Xilla

2) After the break, they had the dodgiest cut I’ve ever seen, ‘welcome back to [abrupt cut] Player 2 is on [their score]’.

That'll be because in the original broadcast, Roy would welcome viewers back from the break with a reminder of the phone number for the "Viewer's Catchphrase" competition. There's usually a (often less-jarring) cut at the beginning of the episode where Roy refers to said competition too.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I just caught the end of Bruce's Price is Right where they cut the entire credit sequence up to the endcap. Even for Challenge, that's a new low.
JA
JAS84
Was that to cut sponsorship integrated into the credits, maybe?
KE
kernow
JAS84 posted:

or maybe to remove a contestant appeal?

I think it's been mentioned here before. Can't remember what the exact reason was.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I think we said before Price is Right didn't have sponsorship aside from the normal "With thanks to <insert half a dozen companies here>" you've seen in credits for years. Play Your Cards Right did have sponsorship in its first reincarnated version in 1994, though it was easy enough to cut round, though it generates an obvious audio edit to remove the sponsor as back then it was a thing to stick sponsorship between end of programme and endcap and do all that heavy integrating stuff.
TI
TIGHazard
I think we said before Price is Right didn't have sponsorship aside from the normal "With thanks to <insert half a dozen companies here>" you've seen in credits for years. Play Your Cards Right did have sponsorship in its first reincarnated version in 1994, though it was easy enough to cut round, though it generates an obvious audio edit to remove the sponsor as back then it was a thing to stick sponsorship between end of programme and endcap and do all that heavy integrating stuff.

I went to check, and thought that for some reason Quentin Tarantino was doing the Sun sponsorship sting.

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Okay I stand corrected. That's just standard after the end cap sponsorship, piece of cake to remove.
Not sure whether that was one of those "playalong" games for The Sun, or whether it was just a general sponsorship. If the former it may explain why Brucie keeps saying "Joining in at home", although the format lends itself to shouting at the TV I suppose Smile
TV
Tv2333
Here are two dodgy edits from Classic Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

https://sendvid.com/ajo0izfr

https://sendvid.com/xe5i68hc
Last edited by Tv2333 on 24 February 2021 10:28pm - 3 times in total
JA
james-2001

I went to check, and thought that for some reason Quentin Tarantino was doing the Sun sponsorship sting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R_nGLryaMc

That will probably explain as well why Challenge show the first endcap (the Yorkshire/Talbot one, curiously still in the 1989-94 style even though the second endcap is the 94-96 design), but not the second one.

ITV3 edit out the sponsorship bumpers on Corrie but leave in the endcap that follows, though!
Last edited by james-2001 on 24 February 2021 8:36pm - 2 times in total
NW
nwtv2003
JAS84 posted:

or maybe to remove a contestant appeal?

I think it's been mentioned here before. Can't remember what the exact reason was.

I saw the end of a Bruce’s Price is Right on Challenge last week which had the contestant appeal address on screen, but there was no accompanying voiceover. However, there was a caption advising not to enter.
PF
PFML84
They have left the contestant appeal in over the credits of some Family Fortunes episodes too (usually the Les era) but have a caption placed over the screen to say that the contestant appeal has now closed.
JA
james-2001
They have left the contestant appeal in over the credits of some Family Fortunes episodes too (usually the Les era) but have a caption placed over the screen to say that the contestant appeal has now closed.

I'm suprising they didn't make alternate edits without the appeal on them, especially as they recorded seperate intros to part 2 which didn't mention the viewer competition.

Newer posts