TV Home Forum

International Presentation

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
Roger Darthwell
RTL are going to unify their brand across all countries later in the year. I'm surprised they haven't done this earlier, it's a real hodgepodge of logos, including some really nasty ones. Their Dutch portfolio has a horrible range of totally different logos for each channel. I've always liked the German one though. I wonder if the new one will be inspired by any of the existing logos.

https://backstage.rtlgroup.com//en/news/2021/7/transforming_the_rtl_brand.cfm

Does this include RTL9 as well?
RD
rdd Founding member
One of those things you ask “why hasn’t it been done before now”. Not only does every RTL Group subsidiary have a different execution of the RTL name, some subsidiaries have different versions for different channels in the same market! Whereas the BBC blocks are the same no matter what the channel (that wasn’t always the case though, particularly before 1991).
HC
Hatton Cross
RTL are going to unify their brand across all countries later in the year. I'm surprised they haven't done this earlier, it's a real hodgepodge of logos, including some really nasty ones. Their Dutch portfolio has a horrible range of totally different logos for each channel. I've always liked the German one though. I wonder if the new one will be inspired by any of the existing logos.

if you read the press release - and this bit..
Quote:
From the corporate brands to the channel and format brands, and across all digital platforms. The focus is on an RTL brand that stands for positive entertainment and independent journalism, as well as inspiration, energy and attitude.

I think the answer is, yes. Every part of the RTL group will end up with the same logo/corporate identity, so RTL9 will be part of that.

Reading further, the design agency is one based in London and Gothenburg. Thank god they didn't hire Red Bee, because god only knows what abstract mess they would have ended up with.
TH
Thinker

There never really was a need to have consistent logos in different countries before. The different RTL channels have always been entirely made for their respective markets, so the fact that they used different logos made little difference. RTL have historically been fairly utilitarian in their branding, using the RTL name to launch into new markets, reusing logos when suitable, but rarely imposing a corporate standard for the sake of having a corporate standard. Channel 5 would never have been renamed "RTL5", as speculated on this forum 15 years ago.

The major change now is that RTL appears to want to become a streaming company. If they want a streaming service that is common for its five markets, with the same appeal as Netflix, then I suppose a common RTL brand is needed.

One problem for RTL has always been that the synergies in owning major national broadcasters are limited. People in the Netherlands aren't magically interested in watching the Hungarian version version of Farmer Wants a Wife just because RTL happens to own channels in both countries. The operations in different countries have mostly been run independently and they haven't really bothered with making original content that appeals to people in many countries. For a unified RTL brand to make sense they would have to overcome that problem, but the press release doesn't really go into that.
RD
Roger Darthwell

if you read the press release - and this bit..
Quote:
From the corporate brands to the channel and format brands, and across all digital platforms. The focus is on an RTL brand that stands for positive entertainment and independent journalism, as well as inspiration, energy and attitude.

I think the answer is, yes. Every part of the RTL group will end up with the same logo/corporate identity, so RTL9 will be part of that.

Reading further, the design agency is one based in London and Gothenburg. Thank god they didn't hire Red Bee, because god only knows what abstract mess they would have ended up with.

Thank you for answering, you see I asked that question because RTL9 is no longer owned by RTL Group, RTL9 is now wholly owned by Mediawan Thematics. That is why I had a doubt
HC
Hatton Cross
If they operate under the RTL name via a licencing deal - then I suspect they would have to take the new group identity, reguardless of who actually owns and operates the channel.

It's exactly the same as a McDonalds franchise. It's owned by someone else, but they have to take the corporate image and brand/golden arch logo/font/menu otherwise they'll quickly find someone else running and operating that branch.
HA
Hadrien
The major change now is that RTL appears to want to become a streaming company. If they want a streaming service that is common for its five markets, with the same appeal as Netflix, then I suppose a common RTL brand is needed.

Do they really want to become a streaming company? They have the technology (Bedrock, part of M6 in France, used for Salto in France and Videoland the Netherlands), but they haven't had much success yet for subscription-based services. And I doubt a shared brand would help, since TV content varies so much from country to country, and they wouldn't have a big library of TV shows and films.
TH
Thinker
Do they really want to become a streaming company? They have the technology (Bedrock, part of M6 in France, used for Salto in France and Videoland the Netherlands), but they haven't had much success yet for subscription-based services. And I doubt a shared brand would help, since TV content varies so much from country to country, and they wouldn't have a big library of TV shows and films.

That's somewhat the point I made. The RTLs in different markets have very little in common. Yet they are now trying to harmonise everything into "one RTL". It doesn't make sense to unify something brand-wise if there is nothing to unify content-wise. There should be some sort of deeper strategy behind this that goes beyond changing a bunch of logos. There are various efforts to increase cooperation within the RTL Group so having a "one RTL" brand could perhaps communicate this to employees, but these recently announced changes seem to target viewers.

I don't know what RTL wants, but they are under pressure to change their business model as linear TV inevitably declines. The only clear change so far is that TV Now is being renamed RTL+, which makes RTL the brand for their streaming offering in Germany. If they follow the press release, similar changes could be made in other markets. But, as you say, its not obvious at the moment how having a unified brand would help them make that transition as a group.
LT
LTSC1980
The history of presentation of FOX Channel in Latin America, which was rebranded as Star Channel this year:
SH
Sh1ruba
Remember when Poland's TVP announced a new look for TVP1, 2 and Sport earlier in January? Well, this seems to be the final version of the rebrand.

The logos used in the preview back in January were actually prototypes and it seems TVP must've thought the 2003 logo is better off staying.

The current TVP logo from 2003 is staying put but the colours of the 3 channels are changing. TVP1 will have a darker blue, TVP2 a brighter orange and Sport a new black/lime green colour.

Last edited by Sh1ruba on 27 February 2021 11:38am
BR
Brekkie
Very nice - especially 2 and Sport.
LI
Lieuwe
An old friend returns to Dutch TV! Loeki de Leeuw was seen between 1972 and 2004 between the commercial breaks of the NPO, in order to cheer up the advertisements. From June, he will in any case be seen during the major sporting events-period (EURO, Tour de France, Olympics) on the 3 NPO channels in the commercials.

Last edited by Lieuwe on 1 March 2021 2:10pm

Newer posts