TV Home Forum

Big Brother Canada 9 (2021)

The updated 2021 house is revealed. Updated bedrooms and 2 sponsor themed rooms. (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mouseboy33
Because Covid-19 resulted in BBCAN8 getting shutdown during the March Ontario shutdown. THe Big Brother Canada house sat dormant over the summer and winter after getting used for only a few weeks. Now the show ill return March 3rd apparently using the existing house theme but overlayed with a decayed look. VERY VERY SMART idea by Global and Insight Prod to re-use the decor that they installed for BBCAN 8, super hero/comic book theme. IT would have been a complete waste to rip it all out. They have released the first image moments ago.
This is the main seating area. They overwashed the wall art with purple paint and added this lovely well crafted vines/tree growth. The theming is amazing and detailed. They even have the grass growing thru the floor in the corners. I will update post as the images come in.

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 1 March 2021 7:07pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm not sure how I feel about a post-apocalyptic theme during a pandemic which has taken 2.5 million lives.
JB
JexedBack
Very poor taste.
People need escapism - for a show to be filmed normally, away from Zoom and other remote videos why remind people of the nightmare they’re currently living through? - seems a waste of a quality normal broadcast experience.
BR
Brekkie
It is a clever way to make use of a design that had to be abandoned last year but also refresh the look, but agree it seems a bit tasteless.

P.S. JexedBack - your post makes no sense. It's being filmed as a normal edition of Big Brother is usually filmed.
MO
Mouseboy33
Here is the same spot from BBCAN 8
You can see what changes they made. I cant wait to see what changes they made to the rest of the house. I doubt its going to look like The Walking Dead or a horror or zombie theme or something. Its likely going to symbolize a rebirth. Like the house has been waiting for them to comeback. In the adverts they use the tagline "BIG BROTHER CANADA RISES ". So its not going to have a negative theme. And frankly GLOBAL doesnt have have the money to completely redecorate the house. So I think it was smart to reuse the decor that was there and transform the look into something fresh and hopeful like a rebirth. I think its exciting and creative.

From the official GLOBALTv press release:
Quote:
Following the shocking and abrupt end of Season 8 nearly one year ago, Season 9 houseguests discover a post-apocalyptic world where the abandoned house lies waiting . The fearless houseguests must rise to conquer unexpected twists and survive extraordinary challenges as they attempt to write their own story and take the title as winner of Big Brother Canada Season 9.

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 24 February 2021 12:54pm - 5 times in total
JB
JexedBack
It is a clever way to make use of a design that had to be abandoned last year but also refresh the look, but agree it seems a bit tasteless.

P.S. JexedBack - your post makes no sense. It's being filmed as a normal edition of Big Brother is usually filmed.

You’re right it’s not clear. Apologies.
I meant people want escapism from the pandemic. They want escapism from Zoom and TV compromised productions.
This seems a waste of an un-compromised covid secure production. Why remind people of the horror outside the BB walls? Make the most of it in the most glamorous, lighthearted, entertaining way possible. Give us the distraction.
BR
Brekkie
To be fair though although a clear nod to current times a stereotypical post-apocolyptic world isn't what we've been living through.
Flux, FBC and Mouseboy33 gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
a Couple of new pictures released. Indeed as suspected, the house has been covered in overgrown vines and vegetation, as though it been sat dormant for a year. they changed the skyline to red and the updated the eye to red. They seem to have completely dropped the superhero theme. Those images seem to have been removed and replaced with a dark purple skyline theme. So it stands to reason the comic bedrooms will be complelely changed and the other superhero elements will likely be gone and replaced with a cityscape. Apparently they will posting the full house tour on Monday.

This it the view entering the house from the main doors directly over the main living space to the now icon BBCAN eye.
For reference here is the BBCAN8 version
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 26 February 2021 7:12pm
MO
Mouseboy33
Well the full house pictures have been released. As expected its a "remixed house". I wasnt expected any significant changes. The biggest differences is they largely stripped out the comic book theme pictures on the walls, with the exception of the hands. Which i think they still could have and probably should have removed the big "entrance hands". But if you closely you will see the walls and all the fittings from the 2020 season was aged and distressed and they stained the floors and the walls are stained. The dripping paint remains flowing out of the entrance. But over all decent effort by a creative team that always pulls out all the stops. So Im not going to be too harsh because they always do a great job. And i know that Global being one of the smallest networks in North America and considering Canada has very few large scale home-grown studio productions, plus with COVID and the suspended season last year..... I will give them a pass.
The kitchen, like the other parts of the house had the comic theme removed and replaced with a red skyline and vines.
The pantry is largely the same. Seems like the Wendy's pickup window is there. But they added slop shack to a previously sponsored area from 2020.

As expected the 2 main bedrooms were completely changed to fit the 2021 teams format.
The Defender bedroom
The Destiny Bedroom
The main bathroom is largely the same
The HOH Bedroom is largely the same
The diary Room had a growth update
Then you have 2 sponsor themed room Expedia and the OLC rooms. This is the 2nd year for Expedia. Judging by where the door is, its likely just off the dining room and was the "file room" and next the Leons lounge previously. Ontario Lottery room is OLG offers houseguests a new custom “Play Room” – a modern-styled area for houseguests to relax and strategize about winning the season, outfitted with a digitally integrated table hockey game with scorekeeping displayed on screens in the room.' Not sure how i feel about that, but they need the money, so unfortunately this is whats happened.
THe have not bedroom is a night mare to sleep in. Nothing but a big ball pit and sinking feeling.
The "backyard is largely the same. THey aged the floor and the walls were stained and they added some vines. to mix it up.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 1 March 2021 8:17pm - 3 times in total
BR
Brekkie
I think they've largely made the right call to evolve the design from last year to fit the theme. HoH could probably have done with a full makeover though - it is rather underwhelming and kind of making it a "safe-haven" from the "post-apocolyptic" surroundings would have fit the theme.

Sleeping in a ball pit is a non-starter. We had the Expedia room last year (and possibly the year before, or was that "Leons Lounge"?) just off the dining room. If it is the noms-room that is sponsors I think that is a first, and with it being sponsored by a lottery you have to wonder if some "random" nomination twists will come into play.
MO
Mouseboy33
Here are some before and after shots from BBSPY for comparison. They put some work in.
I noticed they updated the paint drips. Probably should have just taken it off or did a vine theme or something. Ehh
BR
Brekkie
Reminds me of when Celebrity Big Brother here just used to tweak the previous summer house - generally quite subtle changes (more so than here) but in many ways more interesting than a full on revamp.

Newer posts