The Newsroom

Sky News Australia

Split from Sky News (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
rdd posted:
(do they still show Sky News overnight?).

They do, with their own graphics over the top of the UK graphics. Foxtel also have Sky News UK as well on their line up.
BR
Brekkie
I doubt it still exists but Sky News UK used to be part of their interactive service. They also had a local service too with a feed for each state.

LL
I doubt it still exists but Sky News UK used to be part of their interactive service. They also had a local service too with a feed for each state.

Sky News UK as it's branded has their own EPG slot on Foxtel.
BA
bakamann
I wonder how does Sky News Australia feel now that Facebook blocked all news content in Australia?
NZ
nznewser
I caught the start of Alan Jones on Sky News earlier (clip linked below). In his intro he was very much backing the Aust govt’s legislation and critical of Facebook, arguing that Zuckerberg was an accidental billionaire and now thinks Facebook is bigger than government. That was essentially their narrative across the network today as well.

Just note though, Alan Jones is very much on the right of Australian politics, former shock jock talkback radio host etc.

Also, Sky News being a Murdoch owned network has a vested interest in all this. Murdoch did the deal with Google earlier today and Sky News will benefit from that.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6233247764001
LL
An interesting piece in the Guardian about Sky News Australia's digital policy where they're attracting conspiracy theorists to boost their tiny audience via linear platforms.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/24/sky-news-australia-is-tapping-into-the-global-conspiracy-set-and-its-paying-off?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614098245
TV
TVTV
An interesting piece in the Guardian about Sky News Australia's digital policy where they're attracting conspiracy theorists to boost their tiny audience via linear platforms.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/24/sky-news-australia-is-tapping-into-the-global-conspiracy-set-and-its-paying-off?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614098245

Their audience is not so tiny.

They are the most watched / #1 non sports satellite channel in Australia (out of about 100) and more of the than nothing have the top 5 most watched shows of the night on satellite TV

Remember AU has very low pay tv penetration - 30% or so. In their field they do very well.

Does Sky News UK get the top 5 most watched shows on Sky every night?
LH
lhx1985
You say their audience is not tiny, then you go on to say that pay TV penetration in Australia is low at around 30%. Sky News is a pay channel.

Having a 50% share of a cupcake is still going to be less worthwhile than taking a slice that equates to a 16th of a giant birthday cake.
VA
valley
TVTV posted:

Their audience is not so tiny.

They are the most watched / #1 non sports satellite channel in Australia (out of about 100) and more of the than nothing have the top 5 most watched shows of the night on satellite TV

Remember AU has very low pay tv penetration - 30% or so. In their field they do very well.

Does Sky News UK get the top 5 most watched shows on Sky every night?

Not really a fair question considering Sky News UK doesn't have commentary-led programming for 6 hours each evening... Rolling news (other than the 10pm bulletin, perhaps) is hardly appointment-to-view television, unlike commentary-led programming.
TV
TVTV
The question is fair. I presume Sky UK is focused on a lineup of programming that will garner as many viewers as possible?

Or do they persist with rolling news even knowing that other formats would get more viewers/ ratings for them?
VA
valley
TVTV posted:
The question is fair. I presume Sky UK is focused on a lineup of programming that will garner as many viewers as possible?

Or do they persist with rolling news even knowing that other formats would get more viewers/ ratings for them?

It's currently strictly a rolling news channel, with the closest thing to scheduled opinion-led programming being the Press Preview with the two newspaper reviewers at 22:30 and 23:30.

Pre-pandemic they used to show The Pledge at 9pm on Thursdays (I think, as well as other times throughout the weekend) which was the only true non-presenter led programming. It didn't do particularly well in the ratings or help the channel's reputation, either.
LL

Pre-pandemic they used to show The Pledge at 9pm on Thursdays (I think, as well as other times throughout the weekend) which was the only true non-presenter led programming. It didn't do particularly well in the ratings or help the channel's reputation, either.

Alas one of the former panellists on The Pledge (which itself was a poor version of FNC's The Five) has been signed up to present on an upcoming UK news channel which appears to be similar in format to Sky News Australia.

Newer posts