TV Home Forum

Moving endcaps

Endcaps which are integrated (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CT
Chemical Think Tank
Hello all. Long time lurker here making a leap. I'm curious about the one-time commonality, or lack thereof, of moving endcaps. Not in the sense of them being animated themselves but of them being integrated into the end of the show and the transition being animated rather than a simple cut or fade. Asking because I've seen this a few times specifically on old episodes of You've Been Framed

Here at 26:53 Granada flies through space before filling the screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuyPWykcANw

In this one at 27:13 it slides much faster down the screen and bounces https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqmy-CiE-KA

I don't know if I've ever seen this anywhere else. Was this a sometime thing that Granada did or did other ITV companies do it (and beyond ITV for that matter). I sense it was natural for endcaps on ITV programmes (although all the examples that come to my tired mind are, again, Granada) to come at different points relative to the 'end' of the show (as in, at the end of YBF or Stars in Their Eyes the cheering and applause might have finished and cut to silence for the endcap, sometimes it would continue; same with music), so I guess it's a more elaborate example of that.
CO
Coronavision
Several ITV companies played around with the idea in the late 1980s but it quickly faded away.
MW
Mike W
I'm sure I've seen a Central example animate in (box animation with a yellow border from the final frames of a video credits sequence.

Obviously animated endcaps Central had a few (and frontcaps too themed to a particular programme).
I've always found this one charming
IS
Inspector Sands
Number 73 did this both at the beginning and end of each episode:

I seem to remember that Thames did it a lot too, one programme had the copyright caption walking into place
PE
peterrocket Founding member
The endcap on Bullseye was quite clever - until Central changed the logo and Bully just stood there

<Ok, it's been filmed off a TV, but it's the easiest way to get to the point!>

SP
Steve in Pudsey
3-2-1 - both an animated opening sequence with the YTV chevron becoming part of the action (See also: First Tuesday). But also the endcap animating on.

HC
Hatton Cross
The 3-2-1 front cap was actually ahead of its time in predicting the future.

If you notice, the Yorkshire chevron ends up in a dustbin. Exactly what happened a decade later.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The endcap on Bullseye was quite clever - until Central changed the logo and Bully just stood there

<Ok, it's been filmed off a TV, but it's the easiest way to get to the point!>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAZSIkFxajc

Better version sans TV (from 2:15):
CT
Chemical Think Tank
Ooh yeah how could I forget Bullseye! I like that one a lot

Never noticed it with 3-2-1, and hadn't seen Number 73 or Central's tape. Lovely stuff
CT
Chemical Think Tank
Although the 3-2-1 opening is a favourite of mine. I swear I'd read somewhere (possibly here) that the chevron made its way into the opening titles of another show though I don't remember what.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
First Tuesday

It also made its way into things like the Jokers Wild trophy and arguably the Countdown set.
MC
mccanmat
The titles to Auf Pet series 2 had the central logo morph into a roulette ball...

Newer posts