TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
I often go to Waterloo to attend things at the National Theatre and the BFI in normal times and I agree it's a bit of an eyesore of an area.
Last edited by Jonwo on 21 February 2021 6:44pm
BL
bluecortina
If it was all you knew not unreasonable I suppose.

The most direct route is to leave Waterloo station at the exit opposite platforms 1-4, cross over and down Sandwell St, turn left at the junction with Cornwall Rd and then follow your nose.
IS
Inspector Sands

I always walked out of the station, straight down the steps into the subway, and through the middle of the roundabout, (where the IMAX cinema was built about 20 years ago)
It's not a terribly appealing experience either

Wasn't that the actual cardboard city on that roundabout? Horrible place to walk through and not much better now even with the cinema there.

Growing up in the suburbs the three things I associated the South Bank with were homeless people, skateboarders and LWT.
MA
Markymark

I always walked out of the station, straight down the steps into the subway, and through the middle of the roundabout, (where the IMAX cinema was built about 20 years ago)
It's not a terribly appealing experience either

Wasn't that the actual cardboard city on that roundabout? Horrible place to walk through and not much better now even with the cinema there.

Yes, it was. They tried to brighten up one of the subways with loads of blue LEDs set into the wall (blue LEDs were relatively cutting edge and very expensive in 2000) Soon fell into disrepair, though neglect and vandalism.

Growing up in the suburbs the three things I associated the South Bank with were homeless people, skateboarders and LWT.

Only LWT has gone Sad
JO
Jonwo
They've been trying to regenerate that part of Waterloo for a while. It's weird how the South Bank itself is fine but getting there from the station is a grotty experience.
AN
Andrew Founding member
A railway viaduct right across the front of the station would limit how pleasant they can make that area look. There isn’t much they can do about that.
VA
valley
If anyone’s really interested they can give feedback on the proposals directly to the developer here: https://www.givemyview.com/72upperground/polls
PA
Parker
It does seem in my opinion that ITV are very content using studios not owned by them for their big programmes, such as SNT based at Television Centre. So I do get a sense they will continue on their current path. If it aint broke don't fix it approach.

Not just in television now but many big companies are happier to not have their cash tied up in expensive property assets and instead lease space, often selling their own HQs then leasing them back on a long term deal.

Very true, that's what the new owners of ASDA have done. Buy the company, or most of it, on the cheap, selling off the warehouses then renting them back to pay down debt, selling the petrol stations to themselves at a knock down price... funny old world is accounting. It would make a good drama Wink
ET
ethanh05
It does seem in my opinion that ITV are very content using studios not owned by them for their big programmes, such as SNT based at Television Centre. So I do get a sense they will continue on their current path. If it aint broke don't fix it approach.

Not just in television now but many big companies are happier to not have their cash tied up in expensive property assets and instead lease space, often selling their own HQs then leasing them back on a long term deal.

Very true, that's what the new owners of ASDA have done. Buy the company, or most of it, on the cheap, selling off the warehouses then renting them back to pay down debt, selling the petrol stations to themselves at a knock down price... funny old world is accounting. It would make a good drama Wink

Funnily, it's currently the exact opposite situation where I live, where ASDA want to take over the petrol station a couple of metres away from it, but the owners won't sell.

Wouldn't be as good a drama as when our council tried to shut down one of our historic buildings by inventing that it contained asbestos, and then running off scared after the tenants cottoned on that they were trying to build a Wetherspoons for more profit.

Newer posts