TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I see Sky Sports NFL is still going two weeks after the Superbowl. Looks like it switches back to Action on Tuesday, but still has only NFL related content for the rest of the week.
RO
robertclark125
New sports channel launched on Sky digital recently, on channel 437. SportyStuff. Carries Andros trophy highlights, and also shows Racing post Greyhound TV each night. A possible replacement for the now defunct Frontrunner TV.
DV
dvboy
They don't seem to have much content.

Wish someone would pick up the rights to ATP 250 tennis that no-one else seems to want.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Sky pick up remaining India v England Cricket

BR
Brekkie
Good news for Countdown fans.
UL
ulsterman92
Sky pick up remaining India v England Cricket

Sky Sports do an excellent job on cricket no doubt and I am a Sky Sports customer but it's a shame this series wasn't on Channel 4 as well as it was at even better times than the test series bar the test match this week. It was great to have over 1 million watching cricket in the morning on Channel 4 and having people not exposed to it usually, it should give the ECB and other sporting bodies have thoughts in the future on having a split between a FTA partner and a Pay TV operator.
HC
Hatton Cross
Which is what they've done with the last ECB tv rights, with live tv coverage with the BBC and The Hundered competition/circus.

With the BCCI selling the test matches off cheap(er) to Channel 4, it was obvious that they'd sell the crash bang ODI/T20's to a pay tv sports provider (wonder if BT Sport and their production links with Sunset & Vine tried to get these) and try and get some of the hit on the tests back.

That said, would have been nice if Sky let Channel 4 to show a ODI or a T20 live (at the same time as them) as part of the deal with the BCCI - who must be happy with the interest and viewing figures they have going with Channel 4 for the two tests matches, so far, so probably wouldn't mind seeing at least one limited overs match up on Channel 4.
UL
ulsterman92
Which is what they've done with the last ECB tv rights, with live tv coverage with the BBC and The Hundered competition/circus.

With the BCCI selling the test matches off cheap(er) to Channel 4, it was obvious that they'd sell the crash bang ODI/T20's to a pay tv sports provider (wonder if BT Sport and their production links with Sunset & Vine tried to get these) and try and get some of the hit on the tests back.

That said, would have been nice if Sky let Channel 4 to show a ODI or a T20 live (at the same time as them) as part of the deal with the BCCI - who must be happy with the interest and viewing figures they have going with Channel 4 for the two tests matches, so far, so probably wouldn't mind seeing at least one limited overs match up on Channel 4.

I should have said that about the current BBC rights. It appears the ECB realised they did wrong having no cricket on FTA at all and it was good to watch the 2x Men T20 Internationals and Women's T20 match last year but unsure about the Hundred but the BBC coverage last year was really good and had great figures for their live games and highlights.
BR
Brekkie
No surprise about the White Ball series - especially as it seems they packaged in a years worth of Indian cricket to almost prevent C4 bidding. A shame they didn't get the full story as some exposure of both white ball formats would have benefited the sport, and therefore Sky, too.
RD
rdd Founding member
RugbyPass has won the rights to Super Rugby Aoteara across Europe and Asia, with a season pass for €39.99 (£34.99).

Not sure I can justify it for a league I’d typically only watch one game a week of, even though it is the same price as one month of Sky Sports. If the Australian and Transtasman components were also included it might be better value.
JA
japitts
rdd posted:
RugbyPass has won the rights to Super Rugby Aoteara across Europe and Asia, with a season pass for €39.99 (£34.99).

Not sure I can justify it for a league I’d typically only watch one game a week of, even though it is the same price as one month of Sky Sports. If the Australian and Transtasman components were also included it might be better value.

The sarcasm in me says this isn't even a TV deal, it's a streaming deal where there isn't even an option to view on TV-based apps like the Autumn Cup was. It does rather reek of Sanzaar testing the water on a few fronts, only time will tell but it's not for me.
RD
rdd Founding member
I think it’s basically a stop gap for the moment and the fact that’s it’s only a one year deal is telling in that regard. As I say it’s a pity it only includes the NZ matches and it would be much better value if the Australian and Trans-Tasman ones were also included. Re getting it up on a TV my understanding is that there’s an Apple TV app, at any rate, and Airplay and Chromecast support.

I see Sky Sports NFL is still going two weeks after the Superbowl. Looks like it switches back to Action on Tuesday, but still has only NFL related content for the rest of the week.

Goes back to multi-sport at 6am Monday, though the NFL Network shows Good Morning Football and Total Access and NBC’s ProFootballTalk are basically the only new content on Monday and Tuesday. Presumably though this will give Sky a bit of flexibility for when the rugby league season starts.
Last edited by rdd on 24 February 2021 6:28pm

Newer posts