The Newsroom

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is in hospital

(February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AL
alexjac0788

As you say ITV would probably let the likes of This Morning and Loose Women handle it.

God help them if it's a Friday with Alison & Dermot...
Soupnzi and Meridian AM gave kudos
JL
JamesLaverty1925

As you say ITV would probably let the likes of This Morning and Loose Women handle it.

Wasn't going to bring it up, but I was wondering, even if it was Mon-Thurs, would they parachute Eamonn and Ruth in, with them having a more journalistic background?
alexjac0788, Matthew_Fieldhouse and Meridian AM gave kudos
SD
ShinyDave
As Philip is quite high up in the OBIT list, I’d expect pretty-much wall to wall coverage all day on all PSB channels, news channels and on main satellite channels at least a periodic message about tuning to a news channel for at least the first day. After that who knows? All I do know is that it’ll probably be way more intrusive than the flights of fancy currently being speculated.

This is what I've expected too, because IIRC there was a mention that Philip, Charles, and William are the only three besides the Queen herself to be on a "Category 1" list. Considering how wall-to-wall the initial Diana coverage was when she wasn't Category 1, I could see things really getting out of hand, although of course that was also a shocking breaking news story in how it happened so the enduring coverage actually made sense on that level.

The commercial PSBs might actually have some big decisions to make. Certainly they'd go into obit mode out of the gate, and be more capable of leaving it than the BBC. But both over- and under-reaction are going to be perceptions they'll fear. My guess is 4/5 exit obit mode quicker than ITV, but I wouldn't care to guess how quickly.
JO
Jonwo
As Philip is quite high up in the OBIT list, I’d expect pretty-much wall to wall coverage all day on all PSB channels, news channels and on main satellite channels at least a periodic message about tuning to a news channel for at least the first day. After that who knows? All I do know is that it’ll probably be way more intrusive than the flights of fancy currently being speculated.

This is what I've expected too, because IIRC there was a mention that Philip, Charles, and William are the only three besides the Queen herself to be on a "Category 1" list. Considering how wall-to-wall the initial Diana coverage was when she wasn't Category 1, I could see things really getting out of hand, although of course that was also a shocking breaking news story in how it happened so the enduring coverage actually made sense on that level.

The commercial PSBs might actually have some big decisions to make. Certainly they'd go into obit mode out of the gate, and be more capable of leaving it than the BBC. But both over- and under-reaction are going to be perceptions they'll fear. My guess is 4/5 exit obit mode quicker than ITV, but I wouldn't care to guess how quickly.

Wouldn't it be overkill to have all day wall to wall news for the Duke? With Diana, it was a huge news story and a shock but there is only so much they can report with Prince Philip before it comes repetitive.

Wasn't going to bring it up, but I was wondering, even if it was Mon-Thurs, would they parachute Eamonn and Ruth in, with them having a more journalistic background?

Why would they replace Holly and Phil?
Last edited by Jonwo on 22 February 2021 3:04am - 2 times in total
SD
ShinyDave

There's precedent for an approximation of this with Diana's death - GMTV parachuted in Fiona Philips (for a Sunday edition let's not forget) at frantically short notice.

I suspect this is moot because on day 1 at least I'd expect the full hard news treatment rather than the magazine shows.
plymouthbloke1974 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
SD
ShinyDave
Piers and Susanna on GMB are in navy and a reporter at the hospital was in grey. I mention this because while ITV might not have all the BBC protocol aspects, them being in Not Black at this moment might be significant purely because ITV are locked into the Breakfast team until 9:25 still, yes? I know election coverage marathons still have to pointedly hand over to GMB at 6am sharp, although a breaking news report on a terrorist attack (Brussels I think?) ran on well past 9:25 without handing over the other way (I seem to recall the timestamp graphic being visibly unprepared for 10am use).

Breakfast presenters also in Not Black, though the BBC London regional insert newsreader was in black and so was the woman signing on NC.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

There's precedent for an approximation of this with Diana's death - GMTV parachuted in Fiona Philips (for a Sunday edition let's not forget) at frantically short notice.

I suspect this is moot because on day 1 at least I'd expect the full hard news treatment rather than the magazine shows.

GMTV being a separate company had to do their own coverage.

If there is an announcement during This Morning it's going to a) be on the lifting of an embargo and b) be a case of throwing to ITN who undoubtedly have an obit programme rehearsed and ready to go rather than This Morning winging it.

In the days that follow if the normal schedule continues you might see that change of personnel as the lighter items are dropped and the programme attempts to "reflect the mood of the nation".
TI
TIGHazard

If there is an announcement during This Morning it's going to a) be on the lifting of an embargo and b) be a case of throwing to ITN who undoubtedly have an obit programme rehearsed and ready to go rather than This Morning winging it.

In the days that follow if the normal schedule continues you might see that change of personnel as the lighter items are dropped and the programme attempts to "reflect the mood of the nation".

Being today what it is, with the roadmap out of the coronavirus restrictions, would the embargo even be lifted today if there was one?
TV
TVViewer256

Being today what it is, with the roadmap out of the coronavirus restrictions, would the embargo even be lifted today if there was one?

If the worst did happen and there was an embargo it would be a short one - maybe an hour's notice, unless something occurred overnight (in which case it would've been announced at 8am).

In any case the embargo would take priority over the COVID announcements.
BF
BFGArmy
Luckily our very own Larry the Loafer uploaded said documentary, and here is the part about the Queen Mother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFoEC2O9R4U

One takeaway for me from that was that early 00s mix of the ITV News theme was great - it really had a gravitas and seriousness to it and felt very dramatic.
ShinyDave and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member

If the worst did happen and there was an embargo it would be a short one - maybe an hour's notice, unless something occurred overnight (in which case it would've been announced at 8am).

That time has changed to a bit later in the morning during the pandemic, but yes, that's the general idea.
TVViewer256 and madmusician gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
if taking Pointless later in the day, a possible change to the billed edition, to make sure there is nothing offensive

and pull any unsuitable shows that may be on.

This is Prince Phillip we're talking about. No better tribute than leaving in something that may be offensive.

Newer posts