The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Not sure though whether six months or six week suspension makes much difference - and she's now got the ultimate comeback considering there have been consequences to her actions.
CW
CraigWills
This thread sends shivers down my spine. How can people be so unkind about someone they don’t know? It baffles me. I suppose everyone in this group has followed every single rule to the letter - no walks with more than two people right now? No seeing your parents at all during this current lockdown (unless you live with them/in their support bubble)? And you all social distance in every single setting?

Back to the matter in hand, a journalist - albeit suspended - tweeted a line of news; nothing wrong with this. Kay has tweeted many other pieces of news, so it’s not like this was a one off either. Next, the picture of Prince Charles mentioned has been used across the media today, so I respect everyone who wishes to think privacy was breached, but two important things - 1) Kay didn’t take the picture 2) You need to call out everyone and every publication who used that picture to tell a story today, not just use it as part of what can only be described by some on here as a vendetta against an individual.

As for Hancock’s dig about everyone at Sky wanting to have parties, it’s the kind of thing I can imagine him saying and I think it may have went over some people’s heads - although I haven’t seen the programme. The presenter could have come back at him though, I think I may have. In fact I’ve said it before but I think any elected minister or government official trying to use the incident to get the upper hand, is such a bad look. What one or two Sky presenters did is minuscule to the millions of people who are suffering with lockdowns, financial hardship and COVID itself. For anyone to try and use it to make themselves look better is petty at best, at worst frankly insulting.

Also Kay has now taken her punishment and hasn’t felt the need to comment about it apart from a statement ‘supporting’ the action as such, nor has she referenced what’s happening at Sky or anything like that. I see Piers Morgan mentioned on this thread earlier, he appeared to almost down play the fact bosses at ITV were discussing his tweets with him. But we don’t seem to have the same level of people calling for his resignation; at least not on this forum...

PS. Can I apologise for how poorly written this was initially? Typos and spelling errors all the over place. That’ll teach me to browse a thread and then reply while trying to work on a Sunday afternoon!
Last edited by CraigWills on 22 February 2021 12:45am - 6 times in total
TM
TMD_24
Changing the subject, I've noticed that they are uploading some of their shows in part or full on YouTube for a bit now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT2ITOXav7c
UN
Universal_r
I noticed that, a whole hour of breakfast was uploaded as well.
LL
London Lite Founding member
From what I've seen, the following shows are uploaded to YouTube.

Sky News @ Breakfast (7-8am hour)
Press Preview (10.30 edition only)
Sophy Ridge on Sunday (8.30-9.30 only)
Special programmes, such as the recent Covid programme with Sophy Ridge and docs.
NE
Newsroom
This thread sends shivers down my spine. How can people be so unkind about someone they don’t know? It baffles me. I suppose everyone in this group has followed every single rule to the letter - no walks with more than two people right now? No seeing your parents at all during this current lockdown (unless you live with them/in their support bubble)? And you all social distance in every single setting?

Back to the matter in hand, a journalist - albeit suspended - tweeted a line of news; nothing wrong with this. Kay has tweeted many other pieces of news, so it’s not like this was a one off either. Next, the picture of Prince Charles mentioned has been used across the media today, so I respect everyone who wishes to think privacy was breached, but two important things - 1) Kay didn’t take the picture 2) You need to call out everyone and every publication who used that picture to tell a story today, not just use it as part of what can only be described by some on here as a vendetta against an individual.

As for Hancock’s dig about everyone at Sky wanting to have parties, it’s the kind of thing I can imagine him saying and I think it may have went over some people’s heads - although I haven’t seen the programme. The presenter could have come back at him though, I think I may have. In fact I’ve said it before but I think any elected minister or government official trying to use the incident to get the upper hand, is such a bad look. What one or two Sky presenters did is minuscule to the millions of people who are suffering with lockdowns, financial hardship and COVID itself. For anyone to try and use it to make themselves look better is petty at best, at worst frankly insulting.

Also Kay has now taken her punishment and hasn’t felt the need to comment about it apart from a statement ‘supporting’ the action as such, nor has she referenced what’s happening at Sky or anything like that. I see Piers Morgan mentioned on this thread earlier, he appeared to almost down play the fact bosses at ITV were discussing his tweets with him. But we don’t seem to have the same level of people calling for his resignation; at least not on this forum...

PS. Can I apologise for how poorly written this was initially? Typos and spelling errors all the over place. That’ll teach me to browse a thread and then reply while trying to work on a Sunday afternoon!

You’re not alone with grammar and spelling. I type so fast and take less time to check, especially when from an iPhone.

I just think that after what Kay brought upon herself that she’d be applying a little more thought to her tweets that’s all. She just doesn’t seem to understand that. She’s lost a supporters and fans, both inside and outside the Newsroom.

Put the quill down and sit out your time. They do say that time is a healer.
DE
derek500
This thread makes sends shivers down my spine. How can people be so unkind about someone they don’t know? It’s baffles me . I suppose everyone in this group has followed every single rule to the letter - no walks with more than two people right now? No seeing your parents at all during this current lockdown (unless you live with them/in their support bubble)? And you all social distance in every single setting?

As for Hancock’s dig about everyone at Sky wanting to have parties, it’s the kind of thing I can imagining him saying and I think may have went over some people’s heads - although I haven’t seen the programme. The presenter could have come back at him though, I think I may have. In fact I’ve said it before but I think any elected minister or government official trying to use the incident to get the upper hand, is such a bad look. What one or two Sky presenters did is minuscule to the millions of people who are suffering with lockdowns, financial hardship and COIVD itself. For anyone to try and use it to make themselves look better is petty at best, at worst frankly insulting.

Also Kay has now taken her punishment and hasn’t felt the need to comment about it apart from a statement ‘supporting’ the action as such, nor has she referenced what’s happening at Sky or anything like that. I see Piers Morgan mentioned on this thread earlier, he appeared to almost down play the fact bosses at ITV were discussing his tweets with him. But we don’t seem to have the same level of people calling for his resignation at least not on this forum...

Back to the matter in hand, a journalist - albeit suspended - tweeted a line of news; nothing wrong with this. Kay has tweeted many other pieces of news, so it’s not like this was a one off either .

Forums are full to the brim of people being unkind to people they don't know. I believe Dan Wootton got a fair bit of stick on here.

At this time Burley hasn't been Tweeting a lot, so the Hancock one was very random.
UN
Universal_r
When the slight graphics refresh finally comes, what show are they most likely to debut on?
JW
JamesWorldNews
When the slight graphics refresh finally comes, what show are they most likely to debut on?

I’d imagine Sunrise (or whatever the show is called by then). IIRC, Sky News “refreshes” were always rolled out with the first programme of the day.

In actual fact, it could well be The Early Rundown if it’s still around.
ME
mediamonkeyuk

The last changes were at 7pm IIRC. Sure I remember the logo refresh debuted on Sky News Tonight with Dermot before the return to the glass box (following the 'improvements') with Anna at 9pm. There have also been package refreshes launch at 9 or 10pm before now on election nights in the past. Sure someone else can confirm?

While we are discussing the past, how about this throwback from the brilliant Steven & Gillian. Arguably the best double header they have and a real shame they aren't utilised more...

Still can't get over how good that real background shot is Very Happy
JackTheTellyFan, plymouthbloke1974 and alexjac0788 gave kudos
AA
aaron_scotland
The background shot is amazing, but that video, they are just waffling on about nonsense, is that what people want in the morning? Shocked
BR
Brekkie
The background shot is amazing, but that video, they are just waffling on about nonsense, is that what people want in the morning? Shocked

Waffling about nonsense is what breakfast shows are built on.

And it is one minute out of three hours.

Newer posts