TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2021

New series started on 20th February (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PA
paul_hadley
What people saw and heard who took part in the audience:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeFuq7c3/
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeFup6hB/
JK
JKDerry
So the overnight ratings are in, and 7.3 million tuned in for the first episode. Peaked at 8.1 million. How is that compared to the 2020 first episode?
TV
iloveTV1
So the overnight ratings are in, and 7.3 million tuned in for the first episode. Peaked at 8.1 million. How is that compared to the 2020 first episode?

I believe it got 7.3m last year as well.
BA
bilky asko

Looking back at last year's thread, it appears it's the same as last year - 7.3 million overnight.
SA
samdarleyeditor
the only thing that I saw go wrong was on the second part the screens seemed to go black just before the VT into the happiest (2) minute segment. did anyone else notice this?
TV
iloveTV1
the only thing that I saw go wrong was on the second part the screens seemed to go black just before the VT into the happiest (2) minute segment. did anyone else notice this?

I noticed that but it was only for a few seconds so it doesn’t really matter.
SA
samdarleyeditor
personally i find it really exciting when things go a bit wrong, even just a little. when i was a wee kid and the fault cards appeared i got so excited and found it absolutely fascinating
030293 and itvblocks gave kudos
IT
itvblocks
personally i find it really exciting when things go a bit wrong, even just a little. when i was a wee kid and the fault cards appeared i got so excited and found it absolutely fascinating

Same here, I love breakdowns for this very reason because it's funny when things (especially on live television) go wrong Laughing
GE
thegeek Founding member

Note that in this one, you can't hear the rest of the audience - the web stream will be a 'mix minus', ie everything except the crowd sounds. This is what's meant to prevent the echoey sound, though it must be a bit weird having to listen and react without other people's reactions.

I presume the people who are participants in the show will have a slightly more complicated setup - I don't think I saw anyone with laptops on their knees, so I guess they were given the means to get the feed on their telly, and a slightly better camera arrangement, and also given the impression that 299 other houses were getting the same kit. It must have required a fair bit of talking through on the phone - I guess nothing like the days of NHP where you could send them out of the house for the day and let some engineers in to hide the camera...
JK
JKDerry

Note that in this one, you can't hear the rest of the audience - the web stream will be a 'mix minus', ie everything except the crowd sounds. This is what's meant to prevent the echoey sound, though it must be a bit weird having to listen and react without other people's reactions.

I presume the people who are participants in the show will have a slightly more complicated setup - I don't think I saw anyone with laptops on their knees, so I guess they were given the means to get the feed on their telly, and a slightly better camera arrangement, and also given the impression that 299 other houses were getting the same kit. It must have required a fair bit of talking through on the phone - I guess nothing like the days of NHP where you could send them out of the house for the day and let some engineers in to hide the camera...

NHP era didn't have the good fortune of broadband internet for connection though, as I am sure they had to rely on a microwave relay outside broadcast unit at locations to get the picture and sound back to London right?
GE
thegeek Founding member

NHP era didn't have the good fortune of broadband internet for connection though, as I am sure they had to rely on a microwave relay outside broadcast unit at locations to get the picture and sound back to London right?

Analogue microwave links have virtually zero delay. Internet-based contribution links have only got to the stage where you can get decent quality and acceptable latency relatively recently. (Also most front-facing laptop cameras are rubbish.)
JK
JKDerry
Yes you are right about the microwave links. Watching the general election from 1979 on BBC Parliament once, and they had a fantastic flow of two outside broadcast locations linked together to the studio for a question and answer session with the BBC election panel, and there was no delay at all in the interaction, which is amazing.

Newer posts