TV Home Forum

BBC Select to return as a brand

New North American streaming service (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
If the BBC were to introduce a new logo, there's no way it would debut on something as peripheral as a streaming service in another country.
GO
gottago
If the BBC wants to rebrand they'll rebrand - cost won't come into it. If it means a few people losing their jobs so the B B C inside the boxes and a different font, so be it.

No chance. A logo rebrand is far more expensive than new idents and presentation for a channel. They've already made it clear they've cut roles as far as they can and they're now operating with a huge deficit. It just isn't going to happen.
Ittr and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
RD
Roger Darthwell
If the BBC wants to rebrand they'll rebrand - cost won't come into it. If it means a few people losing their jobs so the B B C inside the boxes and a different font, so be it.

No chance. A logo rebrand is far more expensive than new idents and presentation for a channel. They've already made it clear they've cut roles as far as they can and they're now operating with a huge deficit. It just isn't going to happen.

Apologies if I go slightly off topic, but is this also the reason why the Reith rebrand of the whole corporation has not been completed yet isn't it? Just curious
DE
deejay
The BBC blocks are not changing. It’s not part of the Reith project. It never was. There is no rebrand of the master logo in the pipeline.
BR
brioalex
There is absolutely zero chance that this is a coincidence. The current BBC logo is so well known and widely seen across the world. It’s also very widely available to download as a vector to use on branded materials.

There is no way a designer whether here or in America decided they’d just create their own BBC logo for the fun of it when they could quiet easily get there hands on the current logo.

There has to be something more to this, whether it’s the beginnings of a wider rebrand or whether they had intentions to differentiate the service for an American only audience.
MI
Michael
There doesn't "have" to be something more to this. Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to sloppiness.
BR
brioalex
There doesn't "have" to be something more to this. Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to sloppiness.

Considering the current BBC logo has been around since 1997 I doubt you can attribute it to ‘sloppiness’ though. It just doesn’t add up.
MW
Mike W

Considering the current BBC logo has been around since 1997 I doubt you can attribute it to ‘sloppiness’ though. It just doesn’t add up.

In fairness look how many BBC services and channels use their own version of the logo; it’s been easily obtainable for years and even easier inside the corporation - still they make their own.
DT
DTV

As I previously stated in this thread - both Occam's Razor (the answer that requires the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct) and Hanlon's Razor (assume incompetence/stupidity unless you have proof of malice) dictate that this is a mistake caused by a failure in brand management. In two months of TVF meltdown, nobody has provided any evidence to the contrary.

The BBC is a large corporation with many subsidiaries. Its central departments, such as branding, don't have the ability to oversee every decision taken by every arm all the time - even during normal circumstances. After all, this forum would be much shorter on content if every BBC channel followed their brand guidelines all of the time. Also, look at organisations like the NHS or HMG - how often do you see NHS brand guidelines being ignored? and how frequently do you see the pre-2012/GIS government department logos used? In big organisations, things fall through the cracks constantly.

Plus, if the BBC were going to Reithify the logo - they would have done it before they got half-way through rolling Reith out. In a rebranding process you start with the core brands and work your way out - you don't change your core logo half-way through the process and debut it on one of your most peripheral brands. That's before we even get into the ridiculousness of replacing a logo with a near-identical but worse one.
VM
VMPhil
Pete posted:
I'm reliably informed that BBC Studios was originally going to launch with exactly the same disaster of a blocks logo and that this is, sadly, entirely on purpose bc an actual designer thinks it is good and them upstairs are too dozy to notice.

We're often accused on this forum of complaining about things that don't matter outside of a presentation forum. No regular person cares about logos, idents and so on.

Surely even they can see that a sub-brand of the BBC using a completely different, homemade BBC master logo, possibly without authorisation, is crazy? I can't imagine this ever being allowed to happen at ITV, Sky, Channel 4, etc. It just boggles the mind.
BR
brioalex
DTV posted:

As I previously stated in this thread - both Occam's Razor (the answer that requires the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct) and Hanlon's Razor (assume incompetence/stupidity unless you have proof of malice) dictate that this is a mistake caused by a failure in brand management. In two months of TVF meltdown, nobody has provided any evidence to the contrary.

The BBC is a large corporation with many subsidiaries. Its central departments, such as branding, don't have the ability to oversee every decision taken by every arm all the time - even during normal circumstances. After all, this forum would be much shorter on content if every BBC channel followed their brand guidelines all of the time. Also, look at organisations like the NHS or HMG - how often do you see NHS brand guidelines being ignored? and how frequently do you see the pre-2012/GIS government department logos used? In big organisations, things fall through the cracks constantly.

Plus, if the BBC were going to Reithify the logo - they would have done it before they got half-way through rolling Reith out. In a rebranding process you start with the core brands and work your way out - you don't change your core logo half-way through the process and debut it on one of your most peripheral brands. That's before we even get into the ridiculousness of replacing a logo with a near-identical but worse one.

Isn’t a forum based around making assumptions and speculation else what’s the point in talking about it?

I would love to see in 24 years of the current BBC blocks logo another example of where the logo has been altered or changed because of failure in brand management.

Brand guidelines are a separate issue. Brand Guidelines refer to more than just the logo and there will be many times where designers decide to deviate from the correct colour palette or typefaces even when they perhaps shouldn’t. But as for logos I’m not aware of any example in the BBC or the NHS where a designer has used or altered those logos in any way.
SP
Spencer
I would love to see in 24 years of the current BBC blocks logo another example of where the logo has been altered or changed because of failure in brand management.

Several examples have already been posted in this thread...

Spotted this similar logo on a BBC job posting on facebook... seems a brand refresh is on the way

Newer posts