The Newsroom

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is in hospital

(February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Furthermore, Piers Morgan has posted this evening that the Duke is 'seriously ill' in hospital, so presumably he must have sources that have told him this.

Piers Morgan says a lot of things, wouldn't say he's authority on anything myself. In the case you refer to he's just retweeted the picture of a puffy eyed Prince Charles and stuck "seriously ill father" on it. The picture itself doesn't imply anything, may have been crying, may have been rubbing his eyes, may had had a touch of hay fever, may even just be an effect of the glass on the car. You can't deduce anything from that picture.

Piers is a tabloid hack by nature, a Royal in hospital is like catnip to him.
BR
Brekkie
Exactly - Tom Bradby saying something might be worth listening too, not so much Piers.

P.S. Was wondering what Jennie Bond was up to nowadays as vaguely remember her being announced in a new role recently - turns out it's for the WWE.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/wwe-jennie-bond-royal-rumble-2021-b908422.html
CF
CallumF
She still appears on the BBC fairly often as well.

Surprised she’s not been asked to take part in some sort of Royal news podcast for the BBC - similar to Newscast/Brexitcast and Americast.

Think her and Simon McCoy would make for an interesting listen!
BR
Brekkie
Amazed Nicholas Witchell is still in the role really - a long time for any correspondant to be in the same role, especially when they were previously a flagship presenter.
RN
Rolling News
Amazed Nicholas Witchell is still in the role really - a long time for any correspondant to be in the same role, especially when they were previously a flagship presenter.

Agree, 23 years, although he has also had a few stints as a foreign correspondent in this time hasn’t he ?
DD
DemonDays
Sadly BBC One's presentation package isn't that much better than in Easter 2002 I hope they have a suitable ident - preferably the silent forest one on standby.

They'd likely opt for a still of an existing ident, rather than playing an ident itself. (That's going by past examples, anyway.)

I don't like the still approach - it's disconcerting to see something that should be in motion stationary. In other words, it's too sudden and surprising. The interruption to programming is already enough to grab our attention, and letting the ident play out muted is a better way of easing viewers into the announcement. (An ident still makes part of me think there's been an atrocity.)

Forest, obviously, was made for these situations. If a 'Bridge' does fall during the Oneness package's tenure, however, I wouldn't rule out a different ident being used. It could be a frame from a calmer Oneness ident, but I think the likeliest choice could well be 'Logo'.

As for BBC2, there's three sombre idents: Authoritative, Reflective, and Mind-Bending. I think the odds would probably be on one of the first two.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I wonder how social distancing might impact the planned obit arrangements? I imagine they probably haven't done a rehearsal recently given the need to reduce the number of bodies in the building
MI
m_in_m
I wonder how social distancing might impact the planned obit arrangements? I imagine they probably haven't done a rehearsal recently given the need to reduce the number of bodies in the building

I wonder if previous rehearsals were based on two presenters e.g. news channel and world coming together. In the current climate that is more difficult in C or E though they do interview some people in those studios. B which I think has a larger desk is presumably not available for use at that short notice.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Deleted | James
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 21 February 2021 10:58am
MI
michaelb
But are all the anchors wearing black? That’s the real barometer and the only one acceptable here on TVF.

Most of them except Lukwesa last night.
SP
Spencer
Sadly BBC One's presentation package isn't that much better than in Easter 2002 I hope they have a suitable ident - preferably the silent forest one on standby.

They'd likely opt for a still of an existing ident, rather than playing an ident itself. (That's going by past examples, anyway.)

I don't like the still approach - it's disconcerting to see something that should be in motion stationary. In other words, it's too sudden and surprising. The interruption to programming is already enough to grab our attention, and letting the ident play out muted is a better way of easing viewers into the announcement. (An ident still makes part of me think there's been an atrocity.)

Forest, obviously, was made for these situations. If a 'Bridge' does fall during the Oneness package's tenure, however, I wouldn't rule out a different ident being used. It could be a frame from a calmer Oneness ident, but I think the likeliest choice could well be 'Logo'.

As for BBC2, there's three sombre idents: Authoritative, Reflective, and Mind-Bending. I think the odds would probably be on one of the first two.

There were also the generic BBC “Event Safe” idents which were available to download on Sky boxes a couple of years ago.
SL
Shaun Linden
Piers is from that tabloid era where he would have run that pic with that headline. I'm not sure if papers today have explicitly claimed he is seriously ill.

Chris Ships report yesterday was one of asking many questions, picking up that it was odd, given we have been told Philip is in good spirits.

He's 99, in hospital, visited by his son which the hospital guidelines state should only be in exceptional circumstances. Draw your own conclusions.

Black clothing watch:

Sophy Ridge is in black
Andrew Marr - A standard man suit with dark but dotty tie
Ben Brown - Bright blue tie
Last edited by Shaun Linden on 21 February 2021 9:38am

Newer posts