TV Home Forum

End of the road for UTV?

Split from UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
I've heard listings referring to "the Calendar Region" on occasion in recent years. As there's pretty much no regional programmes outside of news, apart from the aforementioned political programme, and there being no regional branded idents even before these programmes, it may as well be called that.

They use that because it fudges the elephant in the room that is a station called Yorkshire Television that also broadcasts to Lincolnshire.

Isn't the weather still branded "ITV Yorkshire Weather", in terms of the sponsorship?

I'm also guessing that the endcap at the end of bulletins says "ITV Yorkshire" at the bottom?
SC
Si-Co
I've heard listings referring to "the Calendar Region" on occasion in recent years. As there's pretty much no regional programmes outside of news, apart from the aforementioned political programme, and there being no regional branded idents even before these programmes, it may as well be called that.

They use that because it fudges the elephant in the room that is a station called Yorkshire Television that also broadcasts to Lincolnshire.

In fairness, that’s no new “elephant” - it’s existed since 1974. I suppose they would have to say “the Yorkshire Television region” or “the ITV Yorkshire region” as opposed to “the Yorkshire region” to make the distinction between franchise name and geographical location.
CO
Coronavision
I don't think YTV ever fully covered Yorkshire either. The signal does not reach County Durham without a pretty meaty antenna and even then only in the tops.

But then they weren't the only company with a geographically-imprecise name. Grampian was just as bad if not worse, all told. Both set up by Ward Thomas, coincidentally.
Last edited by Coronavision on 19 February 2021 9:47pm
UT
UTVLifer
Pamela Ballantine in NYC for a UTV Life special is something that I never thought I'd need so much in my life. Wonder when they filmed this?

BA
Ballyboy
My money is on February 2020. simpler times for all
JO
Josh
"Utv Life"... Oh dear.
KE
kernow
“Monday night at 8 o’clock”

No verbal reference to the channel name. Unusual to hear “o’clock”. Maybe it’s to compensate for the lack of “on UTV”
AN
Andrew Founding member

No verbal reference to the channel name. Unusual to hear “o’clock”. Maybe it’s to compensate for the lack of “on UTV”

You wouldn’t say UTV twice in the same sentence, it would sound odd.

Of course that doesn’t fit this continual conspiracy theory
BA
Ballyboy
Why hasn’t the endboard been updated yet?
Last edited by Ballyboy on 19 February 2021 11:59pm
BE
Benjamin1

You wouldn’t say UTV twice in the same sentence, it would sound odd.

Of course that doesn’t fit this continual conspiracy theory

Indeed the generic announcement before weekend local bulletins are introduced along the lines of ‘...and now the ITV News from where you are’ as opposed to ‘...and now on ITV, the ITV News from where you are’ etc.
TI
This Is Granada
Wonder when they filmed this?

Pamela mentioned at the end of last nights UTV Life that this special was filmed 'early last year' so I take that as Jan/Feb 2020.

As for that promo stating Utv....just sloppy. Just like most of UTV's pre-recorded announcements. Like I said a few posts back.....no quality control at ITV these days when it comes to "The UTV".
PE
peterh
Why do people on here knock how itv run utv - when utv was a separate it was never particularly good and you know the saying you can’t polish a t word
Brekkie and tightrope78 gave kudos

Newer posts