TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Woah, that looks awful, it's like lots of 60's buildings that have either been knocked down or reclad in the last 20 years. ITV's original design was a lot nicer and respected the existing building heights. I can't see the local Coin Street community group being that happy with it.

Well if the office and retail spaces don't get taken up I suppose they'd have to very reluctantly apply for a change of use - to residential.

Although with the lessening of demand for office space there'll probably be less of a demand for residential space in the cities too. I can't help thinking that ITV did well not to commit to a new building on that site, they probably wouldn't have needed it as big. Probably did well selling the site when they did too
IS
Inspector Sands
Posting this here in case anyone wants to see it - it's a 360 virtual tour of two floors + the lobby of TLS (only office spaces though, and it's after ITV gutted the place of their stuff.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=HByo1yN5SWs

I wonder if t hey ever had any takers for the short term rents they were offering? Presumably Covid scuppered that plan
GO
gottago

Although with the lessening of demand for office space there'll probably be less of a demand for residential space in the cities too. I can't help thinking that ITV did well not to commit to a new building on that site, they probably wouldn't have needed it as big. Probably did well selling the site when they did too

There was a bit in Broadcast last month about how they're even considering consolidating their current rented offices further and possibly moving out of Chancery Lane to save cash. Given that they only have about four floors or something in that building it certainly highlights what unbelievable financial strain they could have found themselves in right now if they'd have pursued their TLS plans.
BR
Brekkie
That really is a hideous proposal. Agree with Inspector Sands that at least the initial ITV proposal was easy on the eye.
KE
kernow
Posting this here in case anyone wants to see it - it's a 360 virtual tour of two floors + the lobby of TLS (only office spaces though, and it's after ITV gutted the place of their stuff.

There's still a few traces of ITV/ TLS, and they haven't removed everything.

I noticed a TLS sign on the staircase, and looking around one of the floors (level 9 I think), there's a wall with some photos from programmes including The Chase and This Morning, and another with photos from Through The Keyhole, GMB and SNT
BL
bluecortina

I wonder if t hey ever had any takers for the short term rents they were offering? Presumably Covid scuppered that plan

Yes they had takers. At least one of the studios has been used as a four waller and some of the lower floors as offices. I can't remember who or when I'm afraid.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Correction ' That will be an eye sore'.

Nope, it's already there for me. Hideous.
JO
Jonwo

There was a bit in Broadcast last month about how they're even considering consolidating their current rented offices further and possibly moving out of Chancery Lane to save cash. Given that they only have about four floors or something in that building it certainly highlights what unbelievable financial strain they could have found themselves in right now if they'd have pursued their TLS plans.

It's surprising that they went for Chancery Lane in the first place, that area is expensive because it's the City of London. I wonder if they go for a redevelopment like Here East in Stratford.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Jonwo posted:

It's surprising that they went for Chancery Lane in the first place, that area is expensive because it's the City of London. I wonder if they go for a redevelopment like Here East in Stratford.

It's a bit of a midpoint between the South Bank and Grays Inn Road, though. I think a key factor was that a lot of the permanent staff would have moved somewhere that gave them an easy commute into Waterloo, so wouldn't want to stray too far from there. Here East could easily add 45 minutes to that.
CH
chris
Jonwo posted:

It's a bit of a midpoint between the South Bank and Grays Inn Road, though. I think a key factor was that a lot of the permanent staff would have moved somewhere that gave them an easy commute into Waterloo, so wouldn't want to stray too far from there. Here East could easily add 45 minutes to that.

Post-COVID that will no doubt be less of an issue.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
I keep thinking that ITV and ITN would be better off buying Gray's Inn Road outright.

Then they could move all of their office staff under one roof and increase the branding on the outside of the building.

I think big 3D ITV and ITN logos would look lovely outside.
AMM, MarkT76 and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
GO
gottago
Jonwo posted:

They did say when they originally announced they were going to redevelop TLS and remain there that they had explored Stratford as an option but it wasn't suitable. Presumably that was going to be on the new East Bank where the BBC are moving their orchestra to.

Home working will continue to a degree post covid but it really doesn't work for quite a lot of people so offices will definitely still be essential. Central London is still the best place to be if you're running a business staffed full of freelancers as everyone lives all over the city, and outside of it. There's a few companies based in Hammersmith that I simply wouldn't consider working for because the commute would be unbearably long with it being right on the other side of the city.
Jonwo and GeekyJames gave kudos

Newer posts