The Newsroom

The ITN Nostalgia Thread

ITN and ITV News Memories (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
It was a shame that ITV News Channel never got its own proper studio also, as it had to be kicked out of Studio 2 every time the national ITV News bulletins had to rehearse, which on occasion caused a drop in quality, a huge drop in the early months for example, when at 5.30pm they went from the huge "Theatre of News" virtual set to a one locked off camera shot of a newsreader, which looked like came from an emergency bunker studio, before they decided to utilise Studio 1 as their alternative studio.
BR
Brekkie
The pay off though from having to sacrfice use of the "Theatre of News" for an hour before each bulletin was they got to use it for the rest of the day. If they'd had their own studio it probably wouldn't have been much more than what the London Tonight studio was - so better to use it 15 hours or so a day than none.
JK
JKDerry
The pay off though from having to sacrfice use of the "Theatre of News" for an hour before each bulletin was they got to use it for the rest of the day. If they'd had their own studio it probably wouldn't have been much more than what the London Tonight studio was - so better to use it 15 hours or so a day than none.

You are right, and to give them credit, the did try to make Studio 1 look as nearly the same as Studio 2 design when they started used it. Studio 1 was just a curved complete green screen studio, where they placed a large desk in it, and keyed in a version of the Theatre of News news wall. I remember noticing the differences in the platform. They always seemed to have a problem hiding the cable link between the news desk and the gallery, it used to be covered with a green screen box to try and disguise it - but a fair effort for what was barely 3 hours per day usage.
BR
Brekkie
The wide shot with the fake catwalk was the give away - if they'd kept it simpler and just had the head on shot and a side on shot it probably wouldn't have been as noticeably different (not that I'm sure most noticed it).
CH
chris
I do think a straight forward headline news style service is what is missing more from the market at the moment than rolling news or conversational news. ITN obviously launched way back in 2000 to fill that gap with I think initially a 15 minute cycle which evolved to 30 minutes. ITV News Channel didn't stray far from that initially, but it evolved with the War on Saddam coverage and more so with the 2004 revamp, but of the three channels at the time ITV News were still the best shot of getting an actual news bulletin every hour rather than staying with press conferences or analysing breaking news for longer than was required.

I’m not convinced there’s the appetite for it when you can quickly get headlines and read the news online.
BR
Brekkie
chris posted:
I do think a straight forward headline news style service is what is missing more from the market at the moment than rolling news or conversational news. ITN obviously launched way back in 2000 to fill that gap with I think initially a 15 minute cycle which evolved to 30 minutes. ITV News Channel didn't stray far from that initially, but it evolved with the War on Saddam coverage and more so with the 2004 revamp, but of the three channels at the time ITV News were still the best shot of getting an actual news bulletin every hour rather than staying with press conferences or analysing breaking news for longer than was required.

I’m not convinced there’s the appetite for it when you can quickly get headlines and read the news online.

The ratings of the flagship evening bulletins very much suggest otherwise.
LU
Luke
chris posted:

The ratings of the flagship evening bulletins very much suggest otherwise.

a tightly produced bulletin aimed at a mass audience and a rolling news channel are two very different products. there is absolutely zero evidence of demand commercially or audience wise for an ITN-style news channel when we're already served by two. The BBC/ITV national and regional news bulletins still remain massively important though.
The importance of social media clips is probably overstated but broadcasters need to position themselves on where to reach new and younger audiences and remain relevant in years to come and that is strictly online.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Is this a bit of a camera cock-up or done for effect?

It looks like a bit of a panic to me!
Newsroom and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
I recall seeing that last minute maneuver more than once, Rob. So, I’m guessing it was done for effect. Now and again.

Does feel like panic though.
BA
bilky asko
I recall seeing that last minute maneuver more than once, Rob. So, I’m guessing it was done for effect. Now and again.

Especially considering the delay between the end of the music and the change of shot (that's cut off in that video) - other clips suggest that the cut to the newsreader is almost instantly after the title music finishes.
SL
Shaun Linden
Well put your media hat on and you'll probably find a reasonable answer.
HC
Hatton Cross

It may have been a staged 'move' but it was rather messy, and you could do a more co-ordinated one than that, and still have the same effect of letting the viewer see the studio floor.
The camera on Suchet, reframes on the 'wipe' out of titles, which appears to throw John given the glance to the person sitting to his right. And if you are going to move a piece of equipment 'for show' you'd have the camera track right and reposition, or have the programme FM move the monitor out of the way. Not have three crew moving all at once, and bashing in to each other.

Newer posts