The Newsroom

The new NEW Central West and BBC Midlands thread

(January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM

ST
South Today
I saw the last few minutes and close of Central West. Are Bob and Sameena normally so awkward? And the 'banter' they attempted was awful and resulted in a few moments of silence.

It was good to see Emma again.

Their studio set up is the same as Meridian with the desk at an angle for distancing.

Indeed it is always like that. They have never become a ‘’top duo’’.

I don't want to sound rude about Bob, but I'm sure Sameena probably comes across better on the days she presents with Matt Teale and Steve Clamp.
As loyal as he has been, I do wonder how long Bob wants to keep doing it for. He certainly doesn't seem comfortable and it was quite cringey to watch. He has always seemed like a very nice man and he is legendary in the West Midlands.

That’s why Wesley Smith needs to return as the main anchor at the helm of the Central region.
BA
Ballyboy
That would be great to see!
ST
South Today
That would be great to see!

Probably too much to ask for him to be reunited with Hannah Shellswell!
BA
Ballyboy
Probably. who else was on central news south mate?, John willets if that’s his name?
MA
Meridian AM
They'd be more likely, surely, to get someone new to eventually replace Bob (if Matt or Steve don't), as Wesley wasn't ever really well known to Central East or West viewers. It wouldn't be 'the return of a popular familiar local face' to viewers in the now smaller Central region by having Wesley take over.
ST
South Today
They'd be more likely, surely, to get someone new to eventually replace Bob (if Matt or Steve don't), as Wesley wasn't ever really well known to Central East or West viewers. It wouldn't be 'the return of a popular familiar local face' to viewers in the now smaller Central region by having Wesley take over.

He certainly gets a good reaction on Twitter when he covers the GMB bulletins. Remember Wesley used to fill in for week long periods on CNW and, of course, Central Lobby.
ST
South Today
Probably. who else was on central news south mate?, John willets if that’s his name?

Indeed John Willats - he was behind the scenes at ITV Wales last I heard. Richard Franklin was actually Wesley’s deputy in the latter years. I spotted him walking in Gloucester city centre a few years ago.
TJ
TJohn
Interesting to see last nights BBC Midlands Today changed the studio /set lighting to a very blue look while dedicating almost half of the program to the floods crisis. They reverted back to the red look for the rest of the news. I haven't noticed this done before on such a scale
made me a little nostalgic for the days regions adopted their own identity.
tellywatcher and South Today gave kudos
ST
South Today
Good to see Michael Collie back on Midlands Today duty this week. Outside of his odd bank holiday/festive period appearances.
MW
Mike W
TJohn posted:
Interesting to see last nights BBC Midlands Today changed the studio /set lighting to a very blue look while dedicating almost half of the program to the floods crisis. They reverted back to the red look for the rest of the news. I haven't noticed this done before on such a scale
made me a little nostalgic for the days regions adopted their own identity.

I think the change was as simple as setting the lighting to the Politics Midlands preset and back, but a nice idea.

Even had a different 2 way graphic.

Nice to see them do their best 'catwalk' impression too, with their lack of space they did well

Here's a capture from iPlayer before it's taken down
Last edited by Mike W on 19 February 2021 1:40pm
watchingtv, UTVLifer and TJohn gave kudos

26 days later

RD
RDJ
Seems like Central West were running well behind time tonight.

Bob tried to have some banter about the Cheltenham races with Steve the Sports presenter. However it seems like Bob was being shouted at in his ear to stop - which then caused him to stumble his words and go silent and then completely lose his place on the next story for Yasmin his co-presenter to have to take over talking at speed.

The report had to be cut short for the weather and then they crashed into Mary at the end.

Oh dear! Poor Bob obviously wasn’t listening out for the timings in his ear!

Newer posts