TV Home Forum

Kenny Everett BBC

Kenny Everett (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'd argue Kenny's controversies were more poking fun at authority in the days where the BBC had its tie on very straight. Then again, if anyone on BBC Radio today inferred that the prime minister was a c*** I still doubt they'd get away with it.
DA
davidhorman
I'd argue Kenny's controversies were more poking fun at authority in the days where the BBC had its tie on very straight. Then again, if anyone on BBC Radio today inferred that the prime minister was a c*** I still doubt they'd get away with it.

At least with the former Health Secretary you could blame it on his name.
MA
madmusician
Here's a nice little TV crossover - Kenny Everett performing the theme tune to Big Break on the 1991 Children in Need (should start at the right point, otherwise go to 3 hours 10 minutes):

SP
Steve in Pudsey
A slight rewriting of history there Smile

The Big Break theme was originally written for a musical, The Hunting of the Snark and Kenny Everett was part of the original cast.
MI
Michael
And of course was originally sung by Captain Sensible on the album version, which was then edited to form the Big Break theme.
MA
madmusician
A slight rewriting of history there Smile

The Big Break theme was originally written for a musical, The Hunting of the Snark and Kenny Everett was part of the original cast.

Yes, I thought I'd trim it down for ease of reading Smile

As Michael says, Captain Sensible was, of course, the original performer of the song, as the concept album and the various costumed concerts came first, and then, as you say, Kenny Everett played the role in the actual staged production in 1991.
MA
marlboro
Just thought I should mention my favorite Thames-TV sketch..

The Bee Gee's in a box kit.
NW
nwtv2003
Just thought I should mention my favorite Thames-TV sketch..

The Bee Gee's in a box kit.

That’s a classic, but I’d say the men’s room attendant sketch with Billy Connolly is my personal favourite (from 0:50 in):

IS
Inspector Sands
This was posted by BBC Archive the other day. Such a great clip of Kenny in a studio recording things in (presumably) the early days of Radio 1.

Such technical skills, very few DJs would do so much production, let alone by themselves. Reminds me of a video I saw of Chris Evans in his GLR days where he's setting up tape delays and climbing up on tables to repatch a jackfield mid-programme.... not the sort of thing many DJs do

Last edited by Inspector Sands on 17 February 2021 9:51pm - 3 times in total
MI
Michael
He popped up on a promotional video for CD Video (not Video CD) as seen in this Techmoan video

Starts at 0:43.

(Full version sans Mat : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAeEf4D0dU&t=0s)
JA
james-2001
Oh god, don't link me to a Techmoan video, I'll be up till 5AM watching video after video of his again..
Last edited by james-2001 on 18 February 2021 12:05am
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Then again, if anyone on BBC Radio today inferred that the prime minister was a c*** I still doubt they'd get away with it.

I don't know, I think in the right context (a radio 4 satirical sketch show, say) you could probably get away with implying it in a clever punchline. A big proportion of the country would consider it fair comment...

But that does remind me of my favourite Kenny Everett line, from Captain Kremmen

Kremen's boss: "I'll have to take you to my club some day, I'm a country member"
Kremen: "OK, I'll remember"
Night Thoughts, Larry the Loafer and Hatton Cross gave kudos

Newer posts